The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS defines Dunking without reference to the rim. Section 16 (Dunking or stuffing is the driving, forcing, pushing or attempting to force a ball through the basket with the hand(s).)

Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 07:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
I have also been told by some pretty experienced officials in my area that, using this criteria, if a player lays it over the hoop it is good preventive officiating to let him know that if the rim moves it's a T.
The problem is that there's absolutely no rules basis to support that particular hypothesis. What's your answer gonna be if someone asks you for a rules reference to back up your statement?

The rim vibrating might not be a bad rule of thumb to use, but I don't think that it's a good idea to tell a coach anything that can't be backed up by some rules language. Just tell the coach that it either was or wasn't a dunk.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 09:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

NFHS defines Dunking without reference to the rim. Section 16 (Dunking or stuffing is the driving, forcing, pushing or attempting to force a ball through the basket with the hand(s).)

What's the spirit of the rule, though?
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Question. If i call this T for dunking in warm ups does that mean their will be no jump ball. If I understand the rule correctly we begin the game with 2 shots and then the ball is given to the shooting team at half court just as with anyother T
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
Question. If i call this T for dunking in warm ups does that mean their will be no jump ball. If I understand the rule correctly we begin the game with 2 shots and then the ball is given to the shooting team at half court just as with anyother T
Yes, and the coach has to sit the whole game!
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And if 3 kids do it, the coach is ejected.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Is that correct? Three incidents and your out? Rule book reference please.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Each T is direct on the player, and an indirect for the coach. Three indirects and the coach is ejected.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 03:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Each T is direct on the player, and an indirect for the coach. Three indirects and the coach is ejected.
The rule book reference is rule 10-3-4PENALTY, Daddy.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The rule book reference is rule 10-3-4PENALTY, Daddy.
Yup, we discussed this as a way you could get your coach disqualified before the game ever starts if you are pissed at him.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, there is sort of a hoops urban legend (might be true) that three players who didnt like their coach and knew they were going to get DNPs and/or cut dunked three times during warm ups and got their coach ejected. Hard to say if it is true. But that is the story. Some real senior guys might know if this is true or not.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdaref
Yeah, there is sort of a hoops urban legend (might be true) that three players who didnt like their coach and knew they were going to get DNPs and/or cut dunked three times during warm ups and got their coach ejected. Hard to say if it is true. But that is the story. Some real senior guys might know if this is true or not.
This did happen just 2-3 years ago in the Portland area.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Last night I had the night off but got invited to do a 3-man that was only 10 minutes away. So of course I helped them out, anyways while we were dressing we were talking about odd things that had happen. One of the other officials was telling us about an area school whose coach would lead them out of the locker room and dunk the ball to start their warm-ups. Great way to start the game... huh?!?!
__________________________________________________ ________

I am trying to figure out where this school is. I haven't got a clue which coach around here could dunk.
Bob,

I'm not sure either to be honest, he never did really say. I would guess it's somewhere north of me.
---------------------------------------------------------

It isn't south of you, I can guarantee that! And I can't think of anywhere nearby you to the West either. By the way, did you ever pick up any games here?
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
/B]
The rim vibrating might not be a bad rule of thumb to use, but I don't think that it's a good idea to tell a coach anything that can't be backed up by some rules language. Just tell the coach that it either was or wasn't a dunk. [/B][/QUOTE]

JR,

Thanks for the input. I like your simple answer better. I will most likely continue to use the rim as my criteria but I will not share that with a coach anymore.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 11:02pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I observed this at a game recently and it looked like the official was staring at the kid who did it not once but twice. I would have asked about it had I done the JV game and gone in at halftime, but I was just a spectator. The kid was last year's Mr. Basketball in our state.