The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 01:43am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Just wanted to add a laugh to the board. Had a varsity level game today with a coach that was chipping a little bit. It was a close game and, of course, my partner and I were the reason his team was behind. I was trail when A1 got fouled on a shot from behind the 3 point line. I turned to report it and he (team B coach) shouted, "Why don't you make that call on THIS end?" I looked into the backcourt really long and replied, "I can't coach - there aren't any players down there."

He got it - but he didn't like it.

This is the same league that I told one player who flopped that the Daytime Emmys were last night, and another who complained that he "got hammered" to "Save the drama for your mama."
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Cool

This is what using this board will accomplish.

Refs with a sense of humor who are not looking to "T" everyone.
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 10:14am
Esteemed Participant

Was this at the Vancouver Hoop? And if so, was it by any chance the coach for Camas? If so, I had him say pretty much the exact same thing to me last weekend...two-hand push in the back on a rebound, I am T and call foul on his center...as I turn to report it he yells "Why don't you call it on that end" pointing to other end of gym...I smiled at him, turned and ran about 30 feet down the court and then reported the foul to the table and ran back...as I went by him I asked if that made him feel better and his reply was "Why do ALL of you guys have to be smart-asses"...I just smiled and kept working...

dj
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 10:37am
Suppref

Talking Davism's are great!!

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachB
This is what using this board will accomplish.

Refs with a sense of humor who are not looking to "T" everyone.
Here's my addition. Working a men summer rec league, Ai gets the ball on the post, B1 puts both hand in the middle of his back. A1 moves to the hoop, before he can get into the act of shooting I call pushing foul on B1, he gripes a little to much so I tell him, " Two hands on his back is an automatic foul". He says" You're blind I didn't have two hands on his back". Without skipping a beat I say " You're right, see this patch I.A.A.B.O., That stands for , I Am A Blind Official" Everyone chuckled and B1 never said another word. Sometimes it's fun to let 'em have it back!!
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 01:10pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Just wanted to add a laugh to the board. Had a varsity level game today with a coach that was chipping a little bit. It was a close game and, of course, my partner and I were the reason his team was behind. I was trail when A1 got fouled on a shot from behind the 3 point line. I turned to report it and he (team B coach) shouted, "Why don't you make that call on THIS end?" I looked into the backcourt really long and replied, "I can't coach - there aren't any players down there."

He got it - but he didn't like it.

This is the same league that I told one player who flopped that the Daytime Emmys were last night, and another who complained that he "got hammered" to "Save the drama for your mama."
...And the hits keep coming!
mick
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 04:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Was this at the Vancouver Hoop? And if so, was it by any chance the coach for Camas?
dj
This was at The Hoop in Vancouver, WA, but it wasn't the Camas coach. I think the guy was from Battleground. As far as I was concerned, he was strictly from Loserville.
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was a close game and, of course, my partner and I were the reason his team was behind.
Well, at least there's one official on this board who can figure things out.

Oh, wait, the sarcasm light is going off in my head . . .
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

glad to see some officials with a good sense of humor but what i always ponder is this -- if I as a coach was to make a humourous comment and the official didnt like it i would be assessed a T but as a coach if the official says anything i dont like i really cant do a thing -- or can I??? help me here
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rocky
but as a coach if the official says anything i dont like i really cant do a thing -- or can I??? help me here
You can complain to the assignor, although one complaint won't get you very far. But if several coaches complain over a period of time, the ref might evaporate. He/she would at least get talked to.
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Rocky:

Rainmaker has a good point -- you could talk to the assignor or league commissioner about this. Some officials, unfortunately, do not have a sense of humor. In my case, if I really and truly screw something up, I might make a comment such as -- "Gee, that's my second senior moment of the month"! You have to have fun officiating, otherwise it becomes a "chore" rather than an avocation.

Old Thu May 31, 2001, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I think for the most part, I have to feel like I have some sort of mutual respect with a coach prior to attempting any humor, and vice versa. This may be after the hand shake prior to the game. Game Management skills play a important part of this game. What works with one coach or what comment is well received may not work woth another coach.
Our job is to take one of the needed ingredients out of the Fire triangle Air(O2), Fuel, heat(Flash point)
Nobody said officiating was easy!

AK ref SE
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 05:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Was this at the Vancouver Hoop? And if so, was it by any chance the coach for Camas?
dj
This was at The Hoop in Vancouver, WA, but it wasn't the Camas coach. I think the guy was from Battleground. As far as I was concerned, he was strictly from Loserville.
I just got my schedule for girls HS summer league. I've got this same guy again. Oh boy!

I'll keep you posted.
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Battle ground!!

How did I miss that before? -- If it's who I think it is, I feel sorry for you -- But I know you won't hesitate to toss him so I'm not too worried...
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Remarks

I have a couple of remarks I like to use.
When a coach is chirping "that's a travel", Thats gotta be a foul"... I say "thanks for the help coach, but I already have a partner"
or
"your way out of position to make that call coach."
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 07:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Battle ground!!

How did I miss that before? -- If it's who I think it is, I feel sorry for you -- But I know you won't hesitate to toss him so I'm not too worried...
Actually, Juulie, in the five years I've done the summer league that's coming up, I've only come close to tossing a coach once. He was a volunteer Dad who is a very popular newspaper columnist here in Portland. At the time, he wrote a sports column. Like some others, he thought he should be calling the game from his bench. I told him at least three times that we would call the game (I was doing the game with my son) and finally gave him a T. He started chipping again and I put up the stop sign. Finally, my son asked him how he would feel if he got thrown out and it made the paper. He shut up after that.

As for the Battleground coach, every one starts each new game with a clean slate as far as I'm concerned. Coaches get a fresh chance to earn my ire all over again each game.