The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Hi folks, I am a ref wanna be, and am studying to take the test. I have a question about the following situation:

one player on a team is required to wear a head scarf because of Islamic rules. the scarf covers her head and all the way down to her shorts. teh scarf doesn't cover her face, but may interfere with her peripheral vision. It completely covers her numbers. Does this present a problem?

I am curious on how you would handle this.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I smell Troll soup. Is it lunch time?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Nope, it absolutely legal as long as it doesnt have beads or anything thats can cause injury.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RalphtDog
Hi folks, I am a ref wanna be, and am studying to take the test. I have a question about the following situation:

one player on a team is required to wear a head scarf because of Islamic rules. the scarf covers her head and all the way down to her shorts. teh scarf doesn't cover her face, but may interfere with her peripheral vision. It completely covers her numbers. Does this present a problem?

The player's team should have a letter from the state governing body approving that player to wear the scarf.

NFHS rule 3-5-2EXCEPTION1(b).

Welcome to the forum, Ralph.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

without that letter of approval it is not legal in any way.

Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 04:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

This might be an area thing. We were told in Illinois to not even deal with this if religious headwear or other religious situations. Our state also requires some notification from the schools about this situation, but the officials are not to deal with it. There was a Muslim girl in the Northern Suburbs that had a head dressing on and wore long sweats that were not the color of the uniform. Some officials did not allow her to play and we were told by the state to leave this issue alone. This might be different where you live. Talk to your local officials and see what they will allow. Also, state laws are different and this is an issue can be a legal one.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 04:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

This might be an area thing. We were told in Illinois to not even deal with this if religious headwear or other religious situations. Our state also requires some notification from the schools about this situation, but the officials are not to deal with it. There was a Muslim girl in the Northern Suburbs that had a head dressing on and wore long sweats that were not the color of the uniform. Some officials did not allow her to play and we were told by the state to leave this issue alone. This might be different where you live. Talk to your local officials and see what they will allow. Also, state laws are different and this is an issue can be a legal one.

Long sweats or pants are always legal. Case book play 3.5.5SitB. Different rule entirely than head covering.

Did the IHSAA issue a ruling in writing to all officials, or post something on their web site, saying that head coverings for religious reasons were always legal with no accompanying letter? I would hope so.

Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 04:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Long sweats or pants are always legal. Case book play 3.5.5SitB. Different rule entirely than head covering.

Did the IHSAA issue a ruling in writing to all officials, or post something on their web site, saying that head coverings for religious reasons were always legal with no accompanying letter? I would hope so.

I could be wrong the situation happened before the NF changed their ruling. I remember the next year they made and editorial change to make her situation legal. I do not believe the NF had a clear interpretation before this situation happen in our state. I also think this story made national news and I saw a story about this on CNN. So it might be legal now, but at the time it was not so clear.

The IHSAA is Iowa. The IHSA posted the information on everyone's personal web page. They did not quote a rule to support their position. The IHSA just made it clear to the officials not to go around making rulings on uniform issues as it relates to religious expression. This was something between the state and the school not the officials.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 04:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

I could be wrong the situation happened before the NF changed their ruling. I remember the next year they made and editorial change to make her situation legal. I do not believe the NF had a clear interpretation before this situation happen in our state. I also think this story made national news and I saw a story about this on CNN. So it might be legal now, but at the time it was not so clear.

The IHSAA is Iowa. The IHSA posted the information on everyone's personal web page. They did not quote a rule to support their position. The IHSA just made it clear to the officials not to go around making rulings on uniform issues as it relates to religious expression. This was something between the state and the school not the officials.

Peace
That's why I asked. It's always up to the state to make the final decision in these cases, but they'd better be telling all of their officials what that final decision is so that it can be called uniformly. Sounds like the IHSA did their job in this one.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That's why I asked. It's always up to the state to make the final decision in these cases, but they'd better be telling all of their officials what that final decision is so that it can be called uniformly. Sounds like the IHSA did their job in this one.
I agree. That is why they told us what to do. I also remember around the same time there was an issue with an insulin pump at someone's game. We were told to allow insulin pumps as well. This was about 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe Bob remembers when this happen.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
This was about 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe Bob remembers when this happen.
Or MTD? Where's he been lately, anyway?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 06:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
This was about 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe Bob remembers when this happen.
Or MTD? Where's he been lately, anyway?
MTD would not know what happen in our state. He would only possibly know what the NF did, not what the IHSA said or ruled.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

JRut,
I may have missed it, but what exactly does it mean that the IHSA made it clear to "not to go around making rulings on uniform issues as it relates to religious expression"?
Do you mean they said to let her play and not question her attire? I do understand that, if that is how it was handled. But officials are, in fact, making a ruling on the uniform issue...either by letting her play or by not letting her play.
Again, I may just have missed it and not understood it exactly.

Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I agree. That is why they told us what to do. I also remember around the same time there was an issue with an insulin pump at someone's game. We were told to allow insulin pumps as well. This was about 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe Bob remembers when this happen.

Peace
__________________________________________________ _________

You're right about the insulin pumps. It was about 3-4 years ago. I remember because I was the one who first brought it to the IHSA's attention after a rules meeting in Fairfield. A young lady in my church wears one. I talked to Dick Dietz about it and he relayed the information on to Bloomington. They posted their decision on the official's website about three days later. Unfortunately, a lot of people didn't read it!

As for the religious attire, Rut is right. I don't remember anything on the website, but as one with an obviously strong interest in religion, I echo his sentiments: don't make much out of it. Religious issues can be miscontrued very easily. I had a Jr. High girl with the head covering a few years ago. It was one of her first games of the season and you can bet she didn't have a letter from the IESA or SIJHSAA. But there was no way on earth I was going to ask her anything about it. Just made sure it was secure. Same thing with religious medals. I've had kids from parochial schools show them to me and tell me that they are not allowed to take them off. I just tell them to tape them down and play ball.

Sorry Rut, one correction: the IHSAA is Indiana, not Iowa. I have a card in my wallet and a patch on my shirt.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
... didn't have a letter from the IESA or SIJHSAA.
The SIJHSAA!?!?! Merciful Heavens!! Do you have to go to classes to learn how to handle that one?