Thread: Muslim player
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 04:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by RalphtDog
Hi folks, I am a ref wanna be, and am studying to take the test. I have a question about the following situation:

one player on a team is required to wear a head scarf because of Islamic rules. the scarf covers her head and all the way down to her shorts. teh scarf doesn't cover her face, but may interfere with her peripheral vision. It completely covers her numbers. Does this present a problem?

I am curious on how you would handle this.
This might be an area thing. We were told in Illinois to not even deal with this if religious headwear or other religious situations. Our state also requires some notification from the schools about this situation, but the officials are not to deal with it. There was a Muslim girl in the Northern Suburbs that had a head dressing on and wore long sweats that were not the color of the uniform. Some officials did not allow her to play and we were told by the state to leave this issue alone. This might be different where you live. Talk to your local officials and see what they will allow. Also, state laws are different and this is an issue can be a legal one.

Long sweats or pants are always legal. Case book play 3.5.5SitB. Different rule entirely than head covering.

Did the IHSAA issue a ruling in writing to all officials, or post something on their web site, saying that head coverings for religious reasons were always legal with no accompanying letter? I would hope so.