The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Last night, I did my best. I was working with a guy that was new....

33 seconds left. Dead quiet. Team A's gym. Team A ahead by 1. A1 shooting the Double Bonus. As A1 was preparing to shoot, B1 who occupied the first lane space bends over. The poor kid had a glass eye. It fell out and bounced in the middle of the lane. Al you could hear was, "CLICK...CLIck....click". I closed my fist to signal - "disconcertion of the shooter". A1 airmailed the freethrow. At roughly the same time, the eye rolled across the lane to A2 who kicked it across the court towards Team A's Bench. I immediately blew an Unsportsmanlike Technical on A2 who I was preparing to throw out of the game. But before I could do that.....Coach A gets up from the bench to pick up the glass eye rolling toward him. My partner had ejected Team A's Assistant Coach in the first period. The Coach caught a T in the third period for arguing a 3 second call. So Coach A has to be glued to the bench. When he got up to catch the eye.....my partner called another technical on him for leaving the bench. Thus, leaving Team A with no Coach for the last 33 seconds. We tried to explain to the Table why Team B had just won the game on a forfeit but by then the fans were pretty upset.

My only question is, should my partner have cut Coach A a break on catching the glass eye? I just think the guy was trying to be helpful.

Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

WOW

I hoenesty think that if I was reffing this I would retire. Nothing else to say but WOW!
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 12:13pm
We don't rent pigs

This has to be true. Nobody could make up a story that weird.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: WOW

Quote:
Originally posted by PIAA REF
I hoenesty think that if I was reffing this I would retire. Nothing else to say but WOW!
Don't worry - JCrow "retired" many years ago. I'm just surprised the nurses at his facility let him use the computer.

Obviously there were too many eyes on A's coach. I would've let it go, unless the coach tossed it to your partner and told him he thought he might need it...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 12:21pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: WOW

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Don't worry - JCrow "retired" many years ago. I'm just surprised the nurses at his facility let him use the computer.

Obviously there were too many eyes on A's coach. I would've let it go, unless the coach tossed it to your partner and told him he thought he might need it...
I might too....but I'd have kept an eye out for it though..........
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:

I might too....but I'd have kept an eye out for it though..........
What did the prostitute with 1 glass eye say to her favorite customer?

I'll take "Stupid bar jokes" for 200, Alex.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Umm, in that case, it's "This is what the prostitute with one eye said to her favorite customer"

And, ok, I'll bite.

No, that's not my guess. I mean, what's the answer?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:
Quote:

Umm, in that case, it's "This is what the prostitute with one eye said to her favorite customer"

And, ok, I'll bite.

OK, here's the short form of stupid joke:

A man goes to a house of ill repute (abbrev HOIR, let's just call it a HOIRhouse...) and there's only 1 HOIR worker available, an old woman with a glass eye. After a while the guy sez OK and goes in with her. She then proceeds to take out her eye and invites the man to partake. After some initial doubt he is amazed to find the experience quite rewarding and well worth the money. As he leaves he tells her so and she replies "Well, come back any time, I'll keep an eye out for you".

Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
Last night, I did my best. I was working with a guy that was new....

33 seconds left. Dead quiet. Team A's gym. Team A ahead by 1. A1 shooting the Double Bonus. As A1 was preparing to shoot, B1 who occupied the first lane space bends over. The poor kid had a glass eye. It fell out and bounced in the middle of the lane. Al you could hear was, "CLICK...CLIck....click". I closed my fist to signal - "disconcertion of the shooter". A1 airmailed the freethrow. At roughly the same time, the eye rolled across the lane to A2 who kicked it across the court towards Team A's Bench. I immediately blew an Unsportsmanlike Technical on A2 who I was preparing to throw out of the game. But before I could do that.....Coach A gets up from the bench to pick up the glass eye rolling toward him. My partner had ejected Team A's Assistant Coach in the first period. The Coach caught a T in the third period for arguing a 3 second call. So Coach A has to be glued to the bench. When he got up to catch the eye.....my partner called another technical on him for leaving the bench. Thus, leaving Team A with no Coach for the last 33 seconds. We tried to explain to the Table why Team B had just won the game on a forfeit but by then the fans were pretty upset.

My only question is, should my partner have cut Coach A a break on catching the glass eye? I just think the guy was trying to be helpful.

To be serious about your question...since nobody else appears to be...what would have happened if when you saw the eye, you'd have whistled the ball dead, got the eye situation fixed and re-administered the free throws?

No, violation on a kid that really, did not violate, IMO.

No T on A2 for possibly just being freaked out, I know I'd be weirded out by an eye rolling at me, so was kicking it really an unsporting act? Heck they might not have even known what it was, they may have thought someone had thrown something on the floor.

No T on a coach for picking up the poor kid's eye. Really was this within the spirit and intent of the rules?
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Glass Eye rolling across the floor?

Was it considered jewlery?
Did it have an improper team or NBA Logo on it?
Did it roll off the floor for unauthorized reasons?

Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 04:13pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And, ok, I'll bite.

OK, here's the short form of stupid joke:

A man goes to a house of ill repute (abbrev HOIR, let's just call it a HOIRhouse...) and there's only 1 HOIR worker available, an old woman with a glass eye. After a while the guy sez OK and goes in with her. She then proceeds to take out her eye and invites the man to partake. After some initial doubt he is amazed to find the experience quite rewarding and well worth the money. As he leaves he tells her so and she replies "Well, come back any time, I'll keep an eye out for you".

Didn't they make that into a sitcom?

"Just Another Day At The Orifice"
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

A coach once told me, "There's no 'I' in Team." I realize now that he meant "eye."

Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 03:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
A coach once told me, "There's no 'I' in Team." I realize now that he meant "eye."

Eye-yi-yi.......

Or......Eye Vey.....
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Game management from the host school should have been notified. Sounds like they were having trouble controlling the other school's pupils..........
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 09:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
Game management from the host school should have been notified. Sounds like they were having trouble controlling the other school's pupils..........