The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Game Management (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23737-game-management.html)

JCrow Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:55am

Last night, I did my best. I was working with a guy that was new....

33 seconds left. Dead quiet. Team A's gym. Team A ahead by 1. A1 shooting the Double Bonus. As A1 was preparing to shoot, B1 who occupied the first lane space bends over. The poor kid had a glass eye. It fell out and bounced in the middle of the lane. Al you could hear was, "CLICK...CLIck....click". I closed my fist to signal - "disconcertion of the shooter". A1 airmailed the freethrow. At roughly the same time, the eye rolled across the lane to A2 who kicked it across the court towards Team A's Bench. I immediately blew an Unsportsmanlike Technical on A2 who I was preparing to throw out of the game. But before I could do that.....Coach A gets up from the bench to pick up the glass eye rolling toward him. My partner had ejected Team A's Assistant Coach in the first period. The Coach caught a T in the third period for arguing a 3 second call. So Coach A has to be glued to the bench. When he got up to catch the eye.....my partner called another technical on him for leaving the bench. Thus, leaving Team A with no Coach for the last 33 seconds. We tried to explain to the Table why Team B had just won the game on a forfeit but by then the fans were pretty upset.

My only question is, should my partner have cut Coach A a break on catching the glass eye? I just think the guy was trying to be helpful.

PIAA REF Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:00pm

WOW

I hoenesty think that if I was reffing this I would retire. Nothing else to say but WOW!

just another ref Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:13pm

This has to be true. Nobody could make up a story that weird.

M&M Guy Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:17pm

Re: WOW

Quote:

Originally posted by PIAA REF
I hoenesty think that if I was reffing this I would retire. Nothing else to say but WOW!
Don't worry - JCrow "retired" many years ago. I'm just surprised the nurses at his facility let him use the computer.

Obviously there were too many eyes on A's coach. I would've let it go, unless the coach tossed it to your partner and told him he thought he might need it...

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:21pm

Re: Re: WOW

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:

Don't worry - JCrow "retired" many years ago. I'm just surprised the nurses at his facility let him use the computer.

Obviously there were too many eyes on A's coach. <font color = red>I would've let it go</font>, unless the coach tossed it to your partner and told him he thought he might need it...

I might too....but I'd have kept an eye out for it though..........

Dan_ref Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:25pm

Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

Obviously there were too many eyes on A's coach. <font color = red>I would've let it go</font>, unless the coach tossed it to your partner and told him he thought he might need it...

I might too....but I'd have kept an eye out for it though..........

What did the prostitute with 1 glass eye say to her favorite customer?

I'll take "Stupid bar jokes" for 200, Alex.

M&M Guy Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:41pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

Umm, in that case, it's "This is what the prostitute with one eye said to her favorite customer"

And, ok, I'll bite.

No, that's not my guess. I mean, what's the answer?

Dan_ref Fri Dec 16, 2005 01:04pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:

Quote:

Umm, in that case, it's "This is what the prostitute with one eye said to her favorite customer"

And, ok, I'll bite.

OK, here's the short form of stupid joke:

A man goes to a house of ill repute (abbrev HOIR, let's just call it a HOIRhouse...) and there's only 1 HOIR worker available, an old woman with a glass eye. After a while the guy sez OK and goes in with her. She then proceeds to take out her eye and invites the man to partake. After some initial doubt he is amazed to find the experience quite rewarding and well worth the money. As he leaves he tells her so and she replies "Well, come back any time, I'll keep an eye out for you".

blindzebra Fri Dec 16, 2005 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JCrow
Last night, I did my best. I was working with a guy that was new....

33 seconds left. Dead quiet. Team A's gym. Team A ahead by 1. A1 shooting the Double Bonus. As A1 was preparing to shoot, B1 who occupied the first lane space bends over. The poor kid had a glass eye. It fell out and bounced in the middle of the lane. Al you could hear was, "CLICK...CLIck....click". I closed my fist to signal - "disconcertion of the shooter". A1 airmailed the freethrow. At roughly the same time, the eye rolled across the lane to A2 who kicked it across the court towards Team A's Bench. I immediately blew an Unsportsmanlike Technical on A2 who I was preparing to throw out of the game. But before I could do that.....Coach A gets up from the bench to pick up the glass eye rolling toward him. My partner had ejected Team A's Assistant Coach in the first period. The Coach caught a T in the third period for arguing a 3 second call. So Coach A has to be glued to the bench. When he got up to catch the eye.....my partner called another technical on him for leaving the bench. Thus, leaving Team A with no Coach for the last 33 seconds. We tried to explain to the Table why Team B had just won the game on a forfeit but by then the fans were pretty upset.

My only question is, should my partner have cut Coach A a break on catching the glass eye? I just think the guy was trying to be helpful.

To be serious about your question...since nobody else appears to be...what would have happened if when you saw the eye, you'd have whistled the ball dead, got the eye situation fixed and re-administered the free throws?

No, violation on a kid that really, did not violate, IMO.

No T on A2 for possibly just being freaked out, I know I'd be weirded out by an eye rolling at me, so was kicking it really an unsporting act? Heck they might not have even known what it was, they may have thought someone had thrown something on the floor.

No T on a coach for picking up the poor kid's eye. Really was this within the spirit and intent of the rules?

Ref Daddy Fri Dec 16, 2005 02:08pm

Glass Eye rolling across the floor?

Was it considered jewlery?
Did it have an improper team or NBA Logo on it?
Did it roll off the floor for unauthorized reasons?

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 16, 2005 04:13pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And, ok, I'll bite.

OK, here's the short form of stupid joke:

A man goes to a house of ill repute (abbrev HOIR, let's just call it a HOIRhouse...) and there's only 1 HOIR worker available, an old woman with a glass eye. After a while the guy sez OK and goes in with her. She then proceeds to take out her eye and invites the man to partake. After some initial doubt he is amazed to find the experience quite rewarding and well worth the money. As he leaves he tells her so and she replies "Well, come back any time, I'll keep an eye out for you".

Didn't they make that into a sitcom?

<b>"Just Another Day At The Orifice"</b>

bob jenkins Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:02pm

A coach once told me, "There's no 'I' in Team." I realize now that he meant "eye."

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 17, 2005 03:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
A coach once told me, "There's no 'I' in Team." I realize now that he meant "eye."

Eye-yi-yi.......

Or......Eye Vey.....

zebra44 Sat Dec 17, 2005 05:42am

Game management from the host school should have been notified. Sounds like they were having trouble controlling the other school's pupils..........

mick Sat Dec 17, 2005 09:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebra44
Game management from the host school should have been notified. Sounds like they were having trouble controlling the other school's pupils..........
:)