Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Since the other responders told you information that you already knew, NFHS allows different shooters to take the FTs, but didn't answer your real question of whether you should have given a replacement throw, I'll do my best to answer that for you.

NO substitute throw is justified.

Your mistake was an official's mistake not a correctable error. The same as administering personal and technical FTs in the wrong order. All merited FTs were attempted and no unmerited FTs were attempted. The FTs were shot at the right basket.

Did the right shooter attempt the first FT?

That is the coach's best rule to argue, but I believe that it is lacking. To your knowledge the right shooter attempted the first FT, since the kid told you yes when you asked him. You should have asked the captain or the coach, but you made a mistake and didn't. That is simply an officials mistake. The non-captain also made a mistake. The coach and captain also were mistaken for not speaking up and allowing the attempt. Plenty of blame to go around here.

I'll cite 8.7 Situation B as the reason for not allowing a substitute throw. Just give them a total of two and allow a change of shooters, as you did, for the second FT.

AFAIK we are not required to ask who's designated to shoot the FT, or verify the right player comes to the line. So not only is this not a correctable error, it's not an error period.

If A6 goes to the line to shoot he's the designated FT shooter.

Do the right thing and ask the coach. Its called preventative officiating, and communicating with the coach in this situation won't hurt. This will significantly reduce the probability of the wrong shooter taking the shots. The only person a coach could blame is either himself or the shooter (we know who will blame then).
Nah, not me.

"Coach I need a shooter" is all I say. After that it's the coach's responsibility.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
"Coach I need a shooter" is all I say. After that it's the coach's responsibility.
Yup, yup.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Since the other responders told you information that you already knew, NFHS allows different shooters to take the FTs, but didn't answer your real question of whether you should have given a replacement throw, I'll do my best to answer that for you.

NO substitute throw is justified.

Your mistake was an official's mistake not a correctable error. The same as administering personal and technical FTs in the wrong order. All merited FTs were attempted and no unmerited FTs were attempted. The FTs were shot at the right basket.

Did the right shooter attempt the first FT?

That is the coach's best rule to argue, but I believe that it is lacking. To your knowledge the right shooter attempted the first FT, since the kid told you yes when you asked him. You should have asked the captain or the coach, but you made a mistake and didn't. That is simply an officials mistake. The non-captain also made a mistake. The coach and captain also were mistaken for not speaking up and allowing the attempt. Plenty of blame to go around here.

I'll cite 8.7 Situation B as the reason for not allowing a substitute throw. Just give them a total of two and allow a change of shooters, as you did, for the second FT.

AFAIK we are not required to ask who's designated to shoot the FT, or verify the right player comes to the line. So not only is this not a correctable error, it's not an error period.

If A6 goes to the line to shoot he's the designated FT shooter.

Do the right thing and ask the coach. Its called preventative officiating, and communicating with the coach in this situation won't hurt. This will significantly reduce the probability of the wrong shooter taking the shots. The only person a coach could blame is either himself or the shooter (we know who will blame then).
Nah, not me.

Coach, who's your shooter?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzle
The rook has a question--

Can the coach use a player not on the floor to shoot the technical if
a) s/he is at the table before the T is called and
b) s/he is not at the table before the T is called

I think it is no and no...
You also have part (c) where a T is called before the game starts - A6 and A7 (who were not designated as starters) are allowed into the game to attempt the FT's.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Switching shooters for a technical foul - HS rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
PS 8.2 in the case book is the play which specifies that two different players can attempt technical FTs.
I'm sorry. I cannot find the rules reference for this play. You said 8.2, but I do not see. Can you be more specific to the case or rules reference?
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;273598
Yes and yes....

Rule 8-3.

Note that the coach can use 2 different substitutes to shoot the free throws if he/she wants to.

Welcome to the forum, rook.
I need a specific case play or rules reference in the NFHS rule or case book that says a coach can switch shooters when awarded technical fouls shots. I have read 8.2, but it does not specifically say the coach can switch a shooter after shooting the 1st of 2 technical foul shots. Any suggestions?
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Digging up a 6.5-year old thread?
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette2255 View Post
I need a specific case play or rules reference in the NFHS rule or case book that says a coach can switch shooters when awarded technical fouls shots. I have read 8.2, but it does not specifically say the coach can switch a shooter after shooting the 1st of 2 technical foul shots. Any suggestions?
Rule 8
SECTION 3 ATTEMPTING TECHNICAL-FOUL FREE THROWS
The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

The rule says free thrower or throwers indicating a coach can choose one shooter for each technical foul free throw.

Also note that this thread is over five years old so some of the rules references might have been moved around.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.