The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lets Talk Displacement (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23687-lets-talk-displacement.html)

Chess Ref Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:14am

I am open to the possibility that I am the village idiot on this one, but I don't think so....

Player A shoots a jumpshot and lands. As soon as Player A lands Player B then sticks his butt into Player A and drives Player A back say 2 feet. I tweet , I got pushing. coach is very upset with me .Coach tells me that is good rebounding.

I am now noticing this occuring more and more.

Is my call legimate or I am seeing things ???/

Opinions please.

IREFU2 Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by Chess Ref
I am open to the possibility that I am the village idiot on this one, but I don't think so....

Player A shoots a jumpshot and lands. As soon as Player A lands Player B then sticks his butt into Player A and drives Player A back say 2 feet. I tweet , I got pushing. coach is very upset with me .Coach tells me that is good rebounding.

Opinions please.

I use the following when it comes to that and all types of plays -

R - Reroute
I - Impede
D - Dislodge
D - Displace

Remember, everyone has a right to any spot on the floor, as long as they get there first legally. Forcing a player out of a spot is illegal. Good call.

mick Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:44am

Quote:

Opinions please.

Chess Ref,
I make that call with less frequency, every year.
mick

blindzebra Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:47am

Boxing out is sealing your opponent NOT moving your opponent.

Feel free to use that sentence the next time you make the correct call and the coach questions it.:D

zebraman Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:48am

Quote:

Opinions please.

That is strictly a judgment call on your part. Obviously you did a good job of staying with the shooter. Only you can decide if it's worth a whistle or not.

Z

David B Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:48am

I agree with Mick

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Opinions please.

Chess Ref,
mick

That's been taught for years and as Mick stated, I call it less all the time.

As long as it doesn't affect the shot I'm just treating it as incidental contact.

Thansk
David

IREFU2 Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Boxing out is sealing your opponent NOT moving your opponent.

Feel free to use that sentence the next time you make the correct call and the coach questions it.:D

I like that.

zebraman Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:57am

Re: I agree with Mick

Quote:

Originally posted by David B

As long as it doesn't affect the shot I'm just treating it as incidental contact.

Thansk
David

Be careful here. First of all, it doesn't matter how long it's been taught. Second of all, you can't base that call entirely on whether or not it affects the shot (in fact, as described in the original post it will never affect the shot because the block-out happens after the ball is gone).

You need to decide if the box-out was enough contact to call a foul. Some of those plays are pretty minor. Others are hard enough that to not call it might lead to retaliation later and a much rougher game.

Z

blindzebra Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:59am

Re: I agree with Mick

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Opinions please.

Chess Ref,
mick

Thansk
David

I think you missed Mick's the point.

Displacing A1 after the shot may not impact the shot, but it does hinder their ability to rebound, it leads to A1 letting B1 have it on the other end. It is not incidental contact if it hinders normal movement or leads to more rough play.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:02am

I agree with both Z's on this one. That displacement should be called like other "contact" situations--advantage/disadvantage.

SeanFitzRef Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:08am

I tend not to call it if A1 is a jump shooter 15 or more feet, and the ball doesn't rebound back to the shhoter or in the area of the original shot. I will call it more in the lane. A lot of the time, B1 will initiate this contact before the shooter returns to the floor. Gotta call that foul, and A1 to the line for two shots!!

mick Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:15am

Re: Re: I agree with Mick

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Opinions please.

Chess Ref,
mick

Thansk
David

Displacing A1 after the shot may not impact the shot, but it does hinder their ability to rebound, it leads to A1 letting B1 have it on the other end. It is not incidental contact if it hinders normal movement or leads to more rough play.

blindzebra,
To clarify, I think David understood what I wrote. I need hard contact, unquestionable displacement and maybe even a touch of intent before I give a 24" displacement any consideration.
mick

blindzebra Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:22am

Re: Re: Re: I agree with Mick

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Opinions please.

Chess Ref,
mick

Thansk
David

blindzebra,
To clarify, I think David understood what I wrote. I need hard contact, unquestionable displacement and maybe even a touch of intent before I give a 24" displacement any consideration.
mick

Sorry I was giving you more credit as it turns out.

That less than hard contact on this end leads to A1 doing the same to B1 on the other, which usually leads to B1 doing it harder the next time. That continues until you put a stop to it.

Call it the first time and the game does not need to be reeled back in.;)

Junker Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:28am

I make this call, especially in the first half. Get it early and they will quit doing it. I agree that it leads to rough play. If you're letting a shooter get pushed around out front, he's going to get upset and start pushing back unless we take care of it.

David B Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:50am

Re: Re: Re: I agree with Mick

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Opinions please.

Chess Ref,
mick

Thansk
David

blindzebra,
mick

Exactly what I read into it

Thanks
David