The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Question time. Boys game tonight. A 21 goes up for a shot. As the ball is released and the shooter is still airborne he is intentionally fouled by B44. I whistle the foul. Shot goes in. I report the intentional foul. Count the basket. I tell the guys to line up for the shot. My partner comes over and says, "Since the shot went in on an intentional we have no free throws but the ball is out of bounds at POI." This is what we did. Later in game I was second guessing this. "Shouldn't we have shot at least one free throw with the lane cleared because of foul on the shooter?" I'm too tired to look it up tonight. What say you experts?
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

No POI in that situation.

You are going to shot at least two FTs on all intentional fouls no matter what. You would shoot 3 shots if the attempt was a 3 pointer and missed. If the ball goes in, you would shoot 2 shots. Then you would give the ball out of bounds where the foul took place, not the POI. POI is only for double fouls, double Ts and simultaneous fouls. Those are the only times you use POI.

So you did it wrong. Now you will own that rule.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rut.
You should have shot 2 FTs with the lane cleared and then awarded the ball OOB nearest the spot of the foul to the offended team.

In short, you screwed the kid out of two FTs. Whoops!

Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Question time. Boys game tonight. A 21 goes up for a shot. As the ball is released and the shooter is still airborne he is intentionally fouled by B44. I whistle the foul. Shot goes in. I report the intentional foul. Count the basket. I tell the guys to line up for the shot. My partner comes over and says, "Since the shot went in on an intentional we have no free throws but the ball is out of bounds at POI." This is what we did. Later in game I was second guessing this. "Shouldn't we have shot at least one free throw with the lane cleared because of foul on the shooter?" I'm too tired to look it up tonight. What say you experts?
I had the exact same thing happen to me in a Rec game. I scored the basket and the person go two FT and the team got the ball out of bounds. The coach didnt understand how that could be!
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I'd be interested to hear what the kid did to the shooter that you defined as intentional. Oops, that sounds like I'm doubting your call. I'm not. Just asking for more data for my file.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You were correct in your second guessing...you and your partner should have at least known to give the shooter one FT.

Even if it wasn't an intentional foul...you had a FOUL with the shot going in...what do you normally do in that instance?

I'm with rainmaker...like to know what happened to call the intentional.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional foul with the team in the bonus

I had an intentional foul once in a varsity game. It was the team's 7th team foul.

I gave the shooter 2 shots and the ball out of bounds at spot nearest the foul. The coach calls me over and insists that his player be given 2 shots for the intentional PLUS a 1-1 for the bonus.

I told him that this was NOT how the rule worked. Put the ball back in play and started the game back up.

Coaches...........rules......... they just don't mix well :--)
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 02:32pm
M.A.S.H.

Re: Intentional foul with the team in the bonus

Quote:
Originally posted by JTRICE
I had an intentional foul once in a varsity game. It was the team's 7th team foul.

I gave the shooter 2 shots and the ball out of bounds at spot nearest the foul. The coach calls me over and insists that his player be given 2 shots for the intentional PLUS a 1-1 for the bonus.

I told him that this was NOT how the rule worked. Put the ball back in play and started the game back up.

Somehow this happened around here a couple weeks ago. I know the officials, they just had a brain fart. We've all been there!
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Last night, a game had a made shot by the shooter, a flop by the defender, and a T by the ref for the flop. Two points for shot, two FT for the T plus possession. No one understood what was going on except for those of us who are the chosen learned.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I'd be interested to hear what the kid did to the shooter that you defined as intentional. Oops, that sounds like I'm doubting your call. I'm not. Just asking for more data for my file.
__________________________________________________ _________

Juulie,
Frustration foul. The kid had been getting beaten to the basket all night. Shot is off and defender gives him a shot with the elbow to the side of the head or shoulder. Clearly an intentional act but by no means hard enough to justify a flagrant. Shooter wasn't hurt. He was happy about the basket. Usually when I've got an intentional on the shooter it's grabbing the jersey and pulling it to prevent the shot, a "bear hug', or something of that nature. What irritates me is that I KNEW I WAS RIGHT and didn't stick to my guns. But it was already a 20+ point lead in the second quarter and this guy works this school a lot. He's from that school district and is one of their "go to guys." I just do a game or two a year there, (Ironically, usually their conferece championship games!) so I don't want to take away from his "image." Also, I should have said OOB at the spot rather than POI, however in this case they were the same spot.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Intentional foul with the team in the bonus

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Originally posted by JTRICE

Somehow this happened around here a couple weeks ago. I know the officials, they just had a brain fart. We've all been there!
tjones1,
You probably know this guy, too, but don't ask me who it was. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have horror stories about me, too.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Juulie,
Frustration foul. The kid had been getting beaten to the basket all night. Shot is off and defender gives him a shot with the elbow to the side of the head or shoulder. Clearly an intentional act but by no means hard enough to justify a flagrant. Shooter wasn't hurt. He was happy about the basket. Usually when I've got an intentional on the shooter it's grabbing the jersey and pulling it to prevent the shot, a "bear hug', or something of that nature. What irritates me is that I KNEW I WAS RIGHT and didn't stick to my guns. But it was already a 20+ point lead in the second quarter and this guy works this school a lot. He's from that school district and is one of their "go to guys." I just do a game or two a year there, (Ironically, usually their conferece championship games!) so I don't want to take away from his "image." Also, I should have said OOB at the spot rather than POI, however in this case they were the same spot.
Sounds quite reasonable to call the intentional in this case. Don't sweat not sticking to your guns. We've all done it. You "made the call" that was best in your sitch, it didn't change the whole game. but you might point out to him later how it is that you're right, so that he at least has the opportunity to do better next time. If he even cares.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

I have had this call twice this season, both times had to tell my partner the correct way to administer the free-throws for the foul. 2 shots both times.