Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Question time. Boys game tonight. A 21 goes up for a shot. As the ball is released and the shooter is still airborne he is intentionally fouled by B44. I whistle the foul. Shot goes in. I report the intentional foul. Count the basket. I tell the guys to line up for the shot. My partner comes over and says, "Since the shot went in on an intentional we have no free throws but the ball is out of bounds at POI." This is what we did. Later in game I was second guessing this. "Shouldn't we have shot at least one free throw with the lane cleared because of foul on the shooter?" I'm too tired to look it up tonight. What say you experts?
I'd be interested to hear what the kid did to the shooter that you defined as intentional. Oops, that sounds like I'm doubting your call. I'm not. Just asking for more data for my file.
__________________________________________________ _________

Juulie,
Frustration foul. The kid had been getting beaten to the basket all night. Shot is off and defender gives him a shot with the elbow to the side of the head or shoulder. Clearly an intentional act but by no means hard enough to justify a flagrant. Shooter wasn't hurt. He was happy about the basket. Usually when I've got an intentional on the shooter it's grabbing the jersey and pulling it to prevent the shot, a "bear hug', or something of that nature. What irritates me is that I KNEW I WAS RIGHT and didn't stick to my guns. But it was already a 20+ point lead in the second quarter and this guy works this school a lot. He's from that school district and is one of their "go to guys." I just do a game or two a year there, (Ironically, usually their conferece championship games!) so I don't want to take away from his "image." Also, I should have said OOB at the spot rather than POI, however in this case they were the same spot.
Sounds quite reasonable to call the intentional in this case. Don't sweat not sticking to your guns. We've all done it. You "made the call" that was best in your sitch, it didn't change the whole game. but you might point out to him later how it is that you're right, so that he at least has the opportunity to do better next time. If he even cares.