Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:
Originally posted by PIAA REF
After reading some of these posts about whacking people, throw her out and all the other comments it just seems that you all have a lot of T's. I just find this really uncommon. I at most might give 3 T's a year. Most of them are probably on players for unsportsmanlike things such as taunting or swearing at an opponent. You all seem to have many T's and give them frequently. Do you think that T's are given more often in different parts of the country. I hail from PA and I seldom give a T and neither does my chapter in whole (we have some that give the pretty easy). I was just curious. (But again I did start early this year, already had 1)
Just because a thread about T's shows up doesn't mean a lot of T's are given out. I give about 1-2 a season and that's it. I use the "stop sign" a lot and that works most of the time.
Another technique I find effective is listening and takling to the coach -- until he demonstrates that despite my good faith effort he has no interest in talking and listening. I mean, REALLY stand there and listen and then look him in the eye and talk to him. Use his first name and treat him like a human being. Encourage him to use your first name by making sure he gets it at the pregame. My partner(s) and I never walk on the floor without knowing the coaches' first names.

Lower level coaches haven't learned how to communicate with officials.....and many lower level officials haven't learned how to communicate with coaches.

The combination usually yields one of two scenarios when I'm sitting in the stands (watching before the varsity game):

(1) The officials take an enormous amount of crap and nothing is done -- a few weeks ago I saw a coach come out to the three point line and ream out a newer official for almost the entire timeout. I wanted to hide, it was so bad.

(2) Whack-a-thon.

Frankly, at the lower levels, I'd rather see (2) than (1). And at the upper levels, most coaches know that the behavior I described above would result in a quick T, so they don't act that way.

I worked 1 JV game last season as a last minute favor, and about five minutes in I ended up giving a coach a one-sided conversation about my expectations regarding his behavior.

No technical, although I would've been justified, but I just didn't think he understood how to act as a head coach because no official prior had laid down their expectations.

I used his name, talked to him like an adult, but let him know that screaming out every travel, every foul, etc., that he thought we missed simply wouldn't be tolerated. He stopped immediately. He thanked me after the game, which he lost.

Not that I don't call technicals.....because I certainly do, but I don't relish them the way I (unfortunately) did 15 or so years ago.

--Rich
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
A coach kicks a chair (not really anywhere but just kicks it)- his teams getting the crap kicked out of them. Should I have wacked him? I just looked at him with that "You ok?" look.... and he quickly fixed the chair and apologized.

I will say this.
Since I've graduated to calling varsity games on a regular basis I find my sweet trigger has gotten harder to fire. I'm more apt to listen to a coach at all levels, and I'm more apt to tell a coach I dont particular care for the fact he's yelling every five seconds about something (at the sub-varsity level)

Had a JV team playing a Varsity team. The JV coach was constantly complaining. I finally asked him
"Has the other coach been yelling at us the whole time?"
"No sir."
"Did your varsity coach yell at us the whole game?"
"No sir."
"Why are you constnatly yelling at us?"
"I'm not used to being a Varsity type situation"
"well can we work on that?"
"sure man, i didnt even notice it."

Course it didnt help when my partner told him that he wasnt going to get a certain call because this was a varsity game.

Sometime you just have to wonder.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
I give an occasional T for various things, as required by the rules. In many cases, I will try to talk to the person and get them to settle before a T becomes necessary, but some situations just warrant it.

I had a coach a few weeks ago that, when I told him very clearly that I was tired of listening to him complain about stuff and question every call or no-call... I said "Coach... That's ENOUGH!" - he said "No, it's not." - hmmm - wrong answer. That got a T. He was fine after that.

I've found that in most cases, if I draw a line in the sand very clearly, I don't feel in any way bad about assessing the T if the coach or player chooses to cross it.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Newby Perspective

I have been doing this 2 years. I work the Frosh/JV circuit. I have sat and watched lots,lots of other officials at all levels. Including DI up close and personal.
Generally speaking my perception is the higher the level the less persistent the behavior is. I am not saying Varsity coaches don't act up but it is not as persistent as the lower levels. So when i started out giving a T was a big deal for me. Now I don't give them the coaches earn them. I am all for working with and communicating with the coaches but THEY have to give me something to work with.
I don't get much of the personal or profane but LOTS of the persistent stuff. At the levels I work my perception is most of these coaches are clueless. So they blame me for that missed travel call in the 1st Qtr that caused them to fall behind by 35 at halftime. I would love to practice my communication skills but you gotta give me something to work with. So instead I get to practice

1. I'm looking for it coach
2. I heard you coach
3. That's it coach
4. STOP sign
5. T

And my ratings went through the roof when i gave out more T's. Coincidence I dunno.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I like JRutledge's approach here. The good official stays in control of the game. Technical fouls are part of an arsenal, not the sole weapon.

The occasional theatrical coach should be defused before he can cost his team the game. This is more in keeping with the role of an official to be an enabler more than an enforcer.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

A few officials (actually most of them) that do college D1, D2 and D3 have told me that the T is their last option. Also they might average 1 T every 2 years. I seem to notice that the officials that have been doing high level games and I mean beyond HS for the most part have very FEW T's to their name and they work with the coaches rather than against them. These guys probably have at least 5-6 years minimum at the college level and they keep getting good games because they get along with the coaches and they work with them.

One guy told me at camp -- "Give a coach a long enough rope to hang himself where when he's done everyone in the gym knows exactly what and why." (not exact but almost)

Couple years ago a coach might have gotten a T from me for saying "that was a $hi..ty call" -- now thats just his way of expressing his opinion. Of course his delivery would be taken into account -- did he scream it across the gym or say it to me as i was running by.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

I think we all have our ways of expressing the message. We could do it civilized or we could do it by punishment. Every situation will, could and can be treated differently. It all depends on the reciepiant. What may work one game may not an other game. I haven't given out a T in 3 full seasons. Like RUT said, that magic word could stop the craziness on the coaches/players behalf.

BUT we officials don't give out a lot of T's.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
A few officials (actually most of them) that do college D1, D2 and D3 have told me that the T is their last option. Also they might average 1 T every 2 years. I seem to notice that the officials that have been doing high level games and I mean beyond HS for the most part have very FEW T's to their name and they work with the coaches rather than against them. These guys probably have at least 5-6 years minimum at the college level and they keep getting good games because they get along with the coaches and they work with them.

One guy told me at camp -- "Give a coach a long enough rope to hang himself where when he's done everyone in the gym knows exactly what and why." (not exact but almost)

Couple years ago a coach might have gotten a T from me for saying "that was a $hi..ty call" -- now thats just his way of expressing his opinion. Of course his delivery would be taken into account -- did he scream it across the gym or say it to me as i was running by.
That last part would get a T from me. And I don't think I'll change my opinion on that as time goes on. It is inappropriate language for a coach to use toward an official under any circumstances.

In today's world we have been far too lax in addressing inappropriate language. Remember, the HS or lower game is an extention of the classroom by definition. It is DEFINITELY not acceptable for a student to use that language. Coaches should be held to a higher standard anyway, as they are adults, and much more responsible for their choices and actions.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Had same situation last week. My player reached over and slapped the ball. By the book - T without warning.

No objections from crew or bench.

It is a "crappy way" to get a T but .... its in the rule book. I've felt it was always "misplaced" by calling it a delay of game.

Seems its a rule looking for a home.
I can't seem to make this call without the coach insisting it's supposed to be a warning first. <>
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I can't seem to make this call without the coach insisting it's supposed to be a warning first. <>
Wow... a coach that even knows there's supposed to be a warning for something, even if they think its for the wrong thing? I'm impressed
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
Wow... a coach that even knows there's supposed to be a warning for something, even if they think its for the wrong thing? I'm impressed
Actually, I find that every coach thinks there should be a warning in this sitch; mostly b/c they don't want the T.
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Every coach is different, and every official is different. On both sides of the lines, people have different tolerance levels, and different abilities to communitcate. For me, I prefer to try and work with the coaches as much as I can, and let them know where the line is. I let them know once they have gotten close to the line, and I make sure to let them know once they have crossed it.

I think that one thing many officials are not aware of is how their communication with one coach may affect the other coach in a game. You can't go talking to team A's coach every time down the floor and not expect the team B's coach to get a bit paranoid about it. Then, because the official is getting tired to hearing from team A's coach, his tolerance level is reached, and he whacks team B's coach as soon as he says something.

Body language, consistency within a crew, table mechanics, etc. All of these things contribute to the atmosphere within a game. You can either use them to create an atmosphere of control, or you can really mess things up. It is extremely important to be aware of how all of your actions are perceived by coaches and players. More awareness on the part of an official will often lead to less situations that require T's.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace
Since I've graduated to calling varsity games on a regular basis I find my sweet trigger has gotten harder to fire.
What? What the hell is a "sweet trigger"? If I'm your assignor or partner and you have a pet name for calling a tech, I would be nervous.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 05:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
What? What the hell is a "sweet trigger"? If I'm your assignor or partner and you have a pet name for calling a tech, I would be nervous.
He's talking about his own personal tolerance level, not a technical foul.

Why would you be nervous anyway if someone had a pet name for a "T"?
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

This weekend I found myself working with a well respected veteran official from my chapter at a local tournament. Before our games started we were chatting and I mentioned that my focus this summer was managing coaches and avoiding T’s. He told me he felt that was one of his strengths and suggested I let him handle most of the interaction with the coaches during our first 3 game set and take mental notes…then we would talk during our break and change roles during the second 3 game set.

The first thing I noticed was he spoke softly and slowly when addressing the coaches. Whenever a coached questioned a call, the most popular responses were “I saw it differently coach.” “Looked different from my angle” “I hear you coach” and “We’ll watch for it.” One coached asked a question during play and he said “I’ll get with you next dead ball coach.” Another asked a question about a call after he reported so he just moved toward the division line, kept facing the lane and gave a quick answer.

During our break, we talked about what he had done. I tried the same tools he used, even though I knew his demeanor may have been the key. I was surprised at how well they calmed the coaches down. I had used the same phrases in the past with less success. I really think it was the softer voice and slower cadence. It is hard for a coach to escalate things when you are quite and calm.

As an aside, during our break I also asked him if he had any feedback about my work…mentioning that I was really aiming to convince the assignment secretary to give me more varsity. We had already covered camps…I’m going to two where the assignment secretary will be present to watch our chapter guys in attendance. He said that he felt I would have a lot better schedule this year…My game calling had improved…my mechanics were improving…my weight lose was really showing and, as a result, I moved better on the floor. Since I felt good about the review that may have played a part in how things went with the coaches…self confidence goes a long way.