The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

B-9 last night and partner and I were both astounded at some rules related comments from the 2 young coach's we had.

Question was raised: Are Coach's subject to any type of BB rules testing at all?

Examples:
No knowledge of 3-second count and player/team control
Interrupted dribble and over and back
Reaching OOB on a throw in
Running out of bounds unauthorized (2005 POI)

Coach's complained on proper application of each of these.

Last nites favorite: After aggressive howling on these misinterpretations, I gave "STOP" sign and said "Coach, thats enough".

Coach Response: "Whats the deal, I'm standing in the Box - I can say whatever I want too!"

Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
B-9 last night and partner and I were both astounded at some rules related comments from the 2 young coach's we had.

Question was raised: Are Coach's subject to any type of BB rules testing at all?

Examples:
No knowledge of 3-second count and player/team control
Interrupted dribble and over and back
Reaching OOB on a throw in
Running out of bounds unauthorized (2005 POI)

Coach's complained on proper application of each of these.

Last nites favorite: After aggressive howling on these misinterpretations, I gave "STOP" sign and said "Coach, thats enough".

Coach Response: "Whats the deal, I'm standing in the Box - I can say whatever I want too!"

In Va, It think they are only required to be at a mandatory VHSL clinic. I dont know if they are required to take a test or not. Of course, thats a 2 edge sword!
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

"Are you sure that's the rule coach?"
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Ours have to attend the rules meeting, but that certainly doesn't mean they pay attention or understand how to interpret the rules. We had a state 3-man clinic and there was a couple of coaches there. I was a little impressed that they would take the time to check it out. Too bad it wasn't one of the better 3-man clinics I've been to.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I find that the more I deal with Rec. League coaches the lower the overall basketball IQ in the building drops.
I don't think there is a requirement for any thing lower then HS coaches. Rec league coaches don't know the rules and they don't want to know the rules.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

The coaches are tested on their rules knowledge every time there is a game. Most of them fail miserably.

Anyone who wishes is welcome to use my rule. If a coach argues a call and is incorrect about THE RULE, that coach is charged with a technical foul.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Coaches are hard to find, particularly at the rec and youth levels where they are unpaid volunteers. The only requirements are usually the commitment to show up. Officials often make more from the game than HS coaches, who might be paid $2500 a year or so on top of their normal teaching salaries.

High School coaches have to attend clinics, but rules are seldom discussed at these clinics. I know few coaches who have actually read the rule books, and those few have mostly reffed on the side.

While making fun of the coach's knowlege of the rules makes for good war stories, rules knowlege is a minor part of their job. A rudimentary knowlege is all that is necessary to win games, which is the major part of their job.

Basketball is about the players, not the officials or the coaches. If more of us remembered that, the games would not be as confrontational.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf

While making fun of the coach's knowlege of the rules makes for good war stories, rules knowlege is a minor part of their job. A rudimentary knowlege is all that is necessary to win games, which is the major part of their job.

Naw, I can't agree with that at all. The better coaches that I have seen have over the years all made a conscious effort to know and understand the rules. They want to teach their kids to play within the rules and to also avoid uneccessary turnovers and fouls. It's to their advantage to do so.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Coaches are hard to find, particularly at the rec and youth levels where they are unpaid volunteers. The only requirements are usually the commitment to show up. Officials often make more from the game than HS coaches, who might be paid $2500 a year or so on top of their normal teaching salaries.
I think this depends on where you live. I know a basketball official in my area that is also teacher and coaches the tennis teams at his school. One tennis team plays is during the fall the other team plays during the spring. He said he gets paid $6000 each season ($12,000 a year). Tennis is also not a revenue sport and does not make money. He said that basketball coach gets paid a lot more than he does. I know I do not make $6000 a season working basketball. I am sure there are coaches that might make around $10,000-$15,000 depending on the school district. I am sure it varies a lot, but $2500 is low.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

High School coaches have to attend clinics, but rules are seldom discussed at these clinics. I know few coaches who have actually read the rule books, and those few have mostly reffed on the side.

Basketball is about the players, not the officials or the coaches. If more of us remembered that, the games would not be as confrontational.

I would say that most of them, like most of us, do this for the love of the game.

Who's the confrontational one here? I have never seen an official start yelling at a coach for running the wrong D. Also, I have yet to see an official yell at a coach because he should have used a TO because nobody is rotating back on D to cover the fastbreaks. If it is understood that they do not fully undersand the rules, why is it so accepted that they challenge officials and their calls?
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Naw, I can't agree with that at all. The better coaches that I have seen have over the years all made a conscious effort to know and understand the rules. They want to teach their kids to play within the rules and to also avoid uneccessary turnovers and fouls. It's to their advantage to do so.
I would have to agree with you on that. I have worked with some very good coaches. Who are very Knowledgeable about the rules. These guys are much easyer to work with.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:49am
M.A.S.H.

I believe in IL the (varsity) coaches are only required to attend the rules interp.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I believe in IL the (varsity) coaches are only required to attend the rules interp.
Same in Missouri. It's fine except that sometimes it helps if you are well aware of the other rules. The new rule interps are easier to understand then.

IMO, it's like TV gameshows. We can sit at home watching and get alot of the answers correct and wonder why those who are in the game don't see what we see. This is what separates officials. When everyone is looking to you on an uncommon application, do we freeze up or respond correctly and with confidence.
Usually, when discussing rules with coaches, they understand most of it. Yet when the game is on the line and the pressure is mounting, they sometimes forget.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

In Va the Va High School League requires that each member school send 2 coaches to each clinic and they need not be head coaches. During my first coaches pre-game I asked if they had any questions about the new rule changes. "What new changes?" Ah boy!!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
__________________________________________________ _________

True, but they are not required to pay attention during the meeting. And some coaches send their assistants to cover this requirement.