The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefNVa
During my first coaches pre-game I asked if they had any questions...
Big Mistake.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 01:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I believe in IL the (varsity) coaches are only required to attend the rules interp.
Any coach can attend a rules meeting. All that is required is a representative is supposed to attend a rules meeting every year or suffer some consequences by either being put on probations or possibly suspended from post season (I do not know the process, I just know there are consequences). Technically there does not have to be a coach that attends the rules meetings. It could be an AD. Usually the schools send the Freshman B coach that has never coached a day in his life and reports (supposed to) to the school what they heard. Many times they never say anything to the varsity coaches because when either my partners or I make a call based on a new rule it is not unusual for the coach to say, "I did not hear of that."

Peace
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
B-9 last night and partner and I were both astounded at some rules related comments from the 2 young coach's we had.

Question was raised: Are Coach's subject to any type of BB rules testing at all?

Examples:
No knowledge of 3-second count and player/team control
Interrupted dribble and over and back
Reaching OOB on a throw in
Running out of bounds unauthorized (2005 POI)

Coach's complained on proper application of each of these.

Last nites favorite: After aggressive howling on these misinterpretations, I gave "STOP" sign and said "Coach, thats enough".

Coach Response: "Whats the deal, I'm standing in the Box - I can say whatever I want too!"

In Va, It think they are only required to be at a mandatory VHSL clinic. I dont know if they are required to take a test or not. Of course, thats a 2 edge sword!
Where in Virginia do you officiate???
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Coaches are hard to find, particularly at the rec and youth levels where they are unpaid volunteers. The only requirements are usually the commitment to show up. Officials often make more from the game than HS coaches, who might be paid $2500 a year or so on top of their normal teaching salaries.
I think this depends on where you live. I know a basketball official in my area that is also teacher and coaches the tennis teams at his school. One tennis team plays is during the fall the other team plays during the spring. He said he gets paid $6000 each season ($12,000 a year). Tennis is also not a revenue sport and does not make money. He said that basketball coach gets paid a lot more than he does. I know I do not make $6000 a season working basketball. I am sure there are coaches that might make around $10,000-$15,000 depending on the school district. I am sure it varies a lot, but $2500 is low.

Peace
Wow...I coach on the JV level and make a whopping 5% of my salary....ends up being about 2000. I had open gym this season from early October to November 14, 2 days a week. Then season goes from Nov.14 to Feb. 8. Thats a lot of work for $2000. I definetly do it for the love of the kids and the game.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 03:00pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
I believe in IL the (varsity) coaches are only required to attend the rules interp.
Any coach can attend a rules meeting. All that is required is a representative is supposed to attend a rules meeting every year or suffer some consequences by either being put on probations or possibly suspended from post season (I do not know the process, I just know there are consequences). Technically there does not have to be a coach that attends the rules meetings. It could be an AD. Usually the schools send the Freshman B coach that has never coached a day in his life and reports (supposed to) to the school what they heard. Many times they never say anything to the varsity coaches because when either my partners or I make a call based on a new rule it is not unusual for the coach to say, "I did not hear of that."

Peace
Thanks JRut for filling my gaps in. Around here, most of the varsity coaches are in attendence. But, I highly doubt they pay that much attention, they are just there to be there and fill out their attendence form.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 03:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Thanks JRut for filling my gaps in. Around here, most of the varsity coaches are in attendence. But, I highly doubt they pay that much attention, they are just there to be there and fill out their attendence form.
A lot of the good varsity coaches attend the rules meetings in my area. There are just more varsity coaches that do not. I would think all coaches would want to attend those meetings, but I wish I had a penny for every time a coach said, "I never heard of that rule," even when the rule is was the main thing talked about at these meetings.

I thought coaches would be clueless about the team control foul and the coaching box, but the word must have gotten out better this year.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, I can't agree with that at all. The better coaches that I have seen have over the years all made a conscious effort to know and understand the rules. They want to teach their kids to play within the rules and to also avoid uneccessary turnovers and fouls. It's to their advantage to do so.
I tend to agree that the better coaches do have a pretty good grasp of the rules. I know it makes me more effective as a coach. Although knowledge of the rules doesn't cure "coaching eyesight." Most of my questions now revolve around what was seen.

My good friend who officiates some college level games as well as a lot of High School games has now elevated me to the status of "Pain in the a$$", which is a big promotion from "Ignorant pain in the a$$." Actually, I've gotten very polite in the last ten or so years since I decided to get a good grip on the rules.

Oddly enough, if you ask the officials 'round here which games they want to work, almost all will steer clear of games in which the coaches are also known officials. Why is that?
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 08:36pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, I can't agree with that at all. The better coaches that I have seen have over the years all made a conscious effort to know and understand the rules. They want to teach their kids to play within the rules and to also avoid uneccessary turnovers and fouls. It's to their advantage to do so.
I tend to agree that the better coaches do have a pretty good grasp of the rules. I know it makes me more effective as a coach. Although knowledge of the rules doesn't cure "coaching eyesight." Most of my questions now revolve around what was seen.

My good friend who officiates some college level games as well as a lot of High School games has now elevated me to the status of "Pain in the a$$", which is a big promotion from "Ignorant pain in the a$$." Actually, I've gotten very polite in the last ten or so years since I decided to get a good grip on the rules.

Oddly enough, if you ask the officials 'round here which games they want to work, almost all will steer clear of games in which the coaches are also known officials. Why is that?
Because NOW they have the best vantage point to see all the calls that should or should not be made.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
B-9 last night and partner and I were both astounded at some rules related comments from the 2 young coach's we had.

Question was raised: Are Coach's subject to any type of BB rules testing at all?

Examples:

Last nites favorite: After aggressive howling on these misinterpretations, I gave "STOP" sign and said "Coach, thats enough".

Coach Response: "Whats the deal, I'm standing in the Box - I can say whatever I want too!"

In Va, It think they are only required to be at a mandatory VHSL clinic. I dont know if they are required to take a test or not. Of course, thats a 2 edge sword!
According to an individual from the VHSL office, the only requirement is for "someone" from the school to attend the clinic. It isn't required that each and every coach attend and actually doesn't have to be the coach. I think this usually falls to the most junior coach.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Quote:

Examples:

According to an individual from the VHSL office, the only requirement is for "someone" from the school to attend the clinic. It isn't required that each and every coach attend and actually doesn't have to be the coach. I think this usually falls to the most junior coach.
That's because the "Senior" coaches ALREADY know the rules.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:30pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Quote:

Examples:

That's because the "Senior" coaches ALREADY know the rules.
Good one!