The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, when do you tattle on a partner to the assignor? Obviously, if he/she has been drinking, or smokes in the hall or something egregious like that. But getting more subtle...

attitude? specific rule misunderstandings? confessions of misdeeds in other games? general ineptitude? specific bad situations that need to be reported, but you don't want to take the blame?

where is the line?
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
For me most of them would be letting the assignor know you do not want to work with that person again. It really depends on the situation. Inept? How bad? Misses one here and or there? Maybe not. Couldn't call his way outta a sack? hell yeah.
Loses control on court. Yeah. Poor attitude? most likely.

Really depends on you. How much you are willing to tolerate.

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on Dec 13th, 2005 at 02:48 AM]

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 06:56am
Huck Finn

I'm not likely to say anything as long as the official is trying to do the right thing.
On the other hand, if the official thinks he/she is doing the right thing and doesn't want to listen, I'm going to make the call.
It really isn't in the best interest of an organization to let a few officials make everyone look bad.

I had a situation last night that I will have to call the assigner about today. It is to the point where I want to talk to the head of evaluators to go evaluate this guy officially. Things happened that are easily avoidable but he just wasn't willing to listen. He did a whole bunch of talking about what he knows, but it turned out to be just talk. One situation forced me to give a T. Of course, I didn't have a problem with it but it could have been avoided. I could go on and on about this guy for a while but I won't.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Tomegun, you didn't have to tell the whole world about me. I thought we agreed to keep that between us!
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Our area

There is so much BB in our area that if you are breathing and own a whistle you could be tweeting 5 games an night ,7 days a week. So consequently there are some refs with some really bad attitudes and flat out just lazy. Oh the stories I could tell about my JR High /rec partners. Last night, JR high girls, my partner, when on Trail, made it his mission in life to call every possible 3 seconds in the world. That was when he wasn't inspecting uniforms to make sure they were completely tucked in and not drapped. So tattling to our assignors would be an exercise in futility.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:06am
Do not give a damn!!

I will not say a word usually. The only time I might say something if I am called and asked about a situation. Then I would likely reveal something if I am asked specifically about an incident. It would also depend on who the person is and what my relationship is with official. I would likely do more behind the scenes if I know the person really well and if I get along with them.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:19am
Esteemed Participant

It really depends on what the "problem" is...someone who is lazy, makes "bad" calls, doesn't handle coaches well, etc. - I will keep that to myself unless the supervisor specifically asks me. Those are "judgement" issues - in other words, it's my judgement or opinion.If the partner or supervisor asks me, I will start the answer with "My opinion is..."

In situations where something major is screwed up - like the other post where the partner ended the half with 0.2 on the clock - then I am calling the supervisor and explaining exactly what happened. Not to get the partner in trouble, but so that the supervisor has a "heads-up" before the angry coach/AD calls and starts griping. In the course of the conversation, I will answer any and all questions truthfully - even if that means telling the supervisor that I, or any of my partners, dextered everything up. That is not an opinion issue, that is messing up a rule, and the integrity of the game is most important.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:34am
Huck Finn

Last night I arrived at my game early to watch the JV game, and get out of traffic. As soon as I walk through the door (I couldn't even see the court) an official who isn't working tells me, "you need to change, there is only one official, terrible!" So I go ahead and change clothes. I get on the court and it is a guy I worked one game with each of the last two years. I felt kind of bad for him because these boys were big for JV.
My first year in this area I worked a varsity game with him and he seemed OK. Last year I worked a JV game with him (I loved getting home early that night) and the game was kind of shaky. Last night, We had one play that was screwed up but no big deal. Also, he had allowed two players from the same team to wear two different color t-shirts that weren't the color of their jersey. Anyway, at halftime he asked me if I had anything and I told him no because I thought we were still recovering from him being alone. The second half couldn't have ended soon enough for me.
In the locker room he asked me if I had anything for him and I was trying to be PC. This was out of character for me but my focus was on the task at hand, the varsity game. Right after one of my partners arrived he started to get kind of funky with me so I just came out and told him that he looked like a varsity official two years ago and now he doesn't. He asked me about specifics and I told him two things. He argued about both of those things so I told, "that is two things I've told you about and two things you've argued about. I'm done talking to you."
The varsity game went well - the instructional chair was there and happy with us.

On our board, this is the type incident the assigner needs to know about. These boys were playing hard and deserved better even if it is JV.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
an official who isn't working tells me, "you need to change, there is only one official, terrible!"

So why didn't he suit up and help instead of telling you to do so?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Last night in a GJV game I had an older gentleman as a partner. He seemed to know what he was doing but the problem is he literally couldn't run (he must have bad knees). He never made it beyond 3 quarter court as the lead (2 person game). In this game it really didn't matter (54-12 blowout) but I was thinking of calling the assignor to let him know. I don't want to cost this guy his schedule and maybe he only takes these type of games. Any suggestions?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:14am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
an official who isn't working tells me, "you need to change, there is only one official, terrible!"

So why didn't he suit up and help instead of telling you to do so?
His nephew was playing in the game.