Thread: Tattling
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:34am
Huck Finn

Last night I arrived at my game early to watch the JV game, and get out of traffic. As soon as I walk through the door (I couldn't even see the court) an official who isn't working tells me, "you need to change, there is only one official, terrible!" So I go ahead and change clothes. I get on the court and it is a guy I worked one game with each of the last two years. I felt kind of bad for him because these boys were big for JV.
My first year in this area I worked a varsity game with him and he seemed OK. Last year I worked a JV game with him (I loved getting home early that night) and the game was kind of shaky. Last night, We had one play that was screwed up but no big deal. Also, he had allowed two players from the same team to wear two different color t-shirts that weren't the color of their jersey. Anyway, at halftime he asked me if I had anything and I told him no because I thought we were still recovering from him being alone. The second half couldn't have ended soon enough for me.
In the locker room he asked me if I had anything for him and I was trying to be PC. This was out of character for me but my focus was on the task at hand, the varsity game. Right after one of my partners arrived he started to get kind of funky with me so I just came out and told him that he looked like a varsity official two years ago and now he doesn't. He asked me about specifics and I told him two things. He argued about both of those things so I told, "that is two things I've told you about and two things you've argued about. I'm done talking to you."
The varsity game went well - the instructional chair was there and happy with us.

On our board, this is the type incident the assigner needs to know about. These boys were playing hard and deserved better even if it is JV.