The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

You should only sound your whistle once. I went to camp this summer and when I blew my whistle twice on a travel call. The observer said once is enough 2 whistles you are show boating.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 07:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
We really need to get a life! .....but, I'll chime in, (Or should I "teet" in?)

One blast. Exceptions: Substitutions...when the clock operator forgets to hit the horn initially....and like you, Larks, a couple or three to break the scrums.

Enjoy the rest of the season!
I whistle all the subs in. Always one whistle, except when I don't
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 07:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bchill24
You should only sound your whistle once. I went to camp this summer and when I blew my whistle twice on a travel call. The observer said once is enough 2 whistles you are show boating.
Maybe the observer was wrong. Maybe not. But it IS a sample of 1.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

My understanding is that in HS it's always one tweet. So that's what I do. However, I agree about the pile up and any kind of heated confrontation. And I'll sound a longer whistle when signaling a time out.

Having said that, I like the double- (sometimes triple- depending on the ratio of show to boat ) tweet on violations. Like the open hand v. closed fist, it communicates something subtle but important. When I'm watching a college game and hear the multi-tweet, I have a pretty good idea of what's being called even before it gets signalled. I think it's a good communications tool.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I labeled this "MTS" (Multiple Tweet Syndrome) a couple years ago when I also noticed it creeping into my game. (This is distantly related to JPS, or Just Point Syndrome, which afflicts officials who fail to use a fist to stop the clock for illegal screens.) I've since tried hard to get rid of it, mostly successfully. I agree with the folks who say just one tweet, except when something "extra-curricular" might develop.

I also find that, no matter how hard I've tried to get rid of my MTS, I still tweet a couple times on those quick travels or double dribbles when I get a little surprised by the play.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Dec 13th, 2005 at 09:40 PM]
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:34pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb I for 1

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I labeled this "MTS" (Multiple Tweet Syndrome) a couple years ago when I also noticed it creeping into my game. (This is distantly related to JPS, or Just Point Syndrome, which afflicts officials who fail to use a fist to stop the clock for illegal screens.) I've since tried hard to get rid of it, mostly successfully. I agree with the folks who say just one tweet, except when something "extra-curricular" might develop.

I also find that, no matter how hard I've tried to get rid of my MTS, I still tweet a couple times on those quick travels or double dribbles when I get a little surprised by the play.
MTS : a mindset manifested by doubt and apology.

Well, If you really wanna get rid of it, try this.
Blow it like you mean it !!
By Golly, if they stop on that foul whistle, they will stop on that violation whistle. How can "they" tell if you are calling a foul or not? Fool 'em! Make 'em think it's a foul.

When a single Tweet for a foul is made, the sound, the volume, the gusto of it means "STOP!"

But the Multiple Tweet Syndrome is characterized by:
  • 1st Tweet --> Sorry. I have to call that.
  • 2nd Tweet --> Sorry you didn't hear it.
  • 3rd Tweet --> STOP

mick

Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:54am
    Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
    Originally posted by ChuckElias

[Edited by ChuckElias on Dec 13th, 2005 at 09:40 PM]
    I have JPS. If it were up to me, all officials would get it, too.