The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

When you call a foul, I am assuming most of you hit the fox 40 with a single blast. What I have noticed and what I have picked up as a habit myself is two short quick blasts for a violation. I recently read in "Smart Basketball Officiating" (book from Referee Magazine) that more than one is "showboating" but I am thinking that a real quick double is pretty common out there meaning either A) it's another way we communicate or B) we're all showboating. And then there are times when you have that loose ball scrum that leads to a held ball. One whistle blast aint gonna get it in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
When you call a foul, I am assuming most of you hit the fox 40 with a single blast. What I have noticed and what I have picked up as a habit myself is two short quick blasts for a violation. I recently read in "Smart Basketball Officiating" (book from Referee Magazine) that more than one is "showboating" but I am thinking that a real quick double is pretty common out there meaning either A) it's another way we communicate or B) we're all showboating. And then there are times when you have that loose ball scrum that leads to a held ball. One whistle blast aint gonna get it in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Depends, if I have a crash or something crazy, I will do two quick blasts of the whistle. But normally its a short blast.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Ima one and done guy myself.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

We really need to get a life! .....but, I'll chime in, (Or should I "teet" in?)

One blast. Exceptions: Substitutions...when the clock operator forgets to hit the horn initially....and like you, Larks, a couple or three to break the scrums.

Enjoy the rest of the season!
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 10:27am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
We really need to get a life! .....but, I'll chime in, (Or should I "teet" in?)

One blast. Exceptions: Substitutions...when the clock operator forgets to hit the horn initially....and like you, Larks, a couple or three to break the scrums.

Enjoy the rest of the season!
One blast for fouls
A few blasts for violations (sometimes)
I do not like to blow my whistle for subs unless it is after the last free throw
Continuously blowing the whistle is useful when players are tangled up or fighting because it is an irritant
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

One blast

I think that almost all the time one blast will sufice. I like to give it a double toot on a violation that maybe coming from my primary they would preceed a foul from the lead. Also sometimes when selling a jump ball or a last second shot that is late.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 01:04pm
In Memoriam

Two- or maybe even another one - if it's something where you want to try and control the play at the same time that you're stopping the play. Iow, a play where you wanna stop anything from developing. Example- a hard foul, hard intentional foul, flagrant foul, 2 opponents really laying into each other in the post......

Usually combined with heading towards the players to maybe get in between them.....
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Single blast for fouls & maybe a double blast for some violations.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

The only time I have more than one "teet" is with tangled players in a held ball situation, players coming together after play should be stopped, or if my partner(s) and I are about to do something stupid like start play with 11 players on the court.

I like to close in with a whistle in the first two cases because it helps keep things under control. Hard to think about wrestling or fighting with a Fox 40 going off near by.

I do tend to control the strength and length of my single blast though.

I have a softer "teet" when I'm near the bench or table area and when I'm about to administer the throw-in after a TO or intermission.

I have a longer "teet" if the call was an A T & T and I had to close, it's a secondary and I'm getting it late, or if it is granting a time out request.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

One tweet on fouls. Two tweets on travels and held balls. Don't ask me why cuz I don't know.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
One teet for a foul or violation.

Two teets for "check out the teets on that babe in the 9th row."

Three teets if she has 3 teets, and so on.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

One strong whistle for all calls. The only time I would even think to tweet more than once (I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere ) is if I am trying to stop further action like bodies all over the floor. But that is unlikely for me personally. One good strong whistle should do the trick.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
One strong whistle for all calls. The only time I would even think to tweet more than once (I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere ) is if I am trying to stop further action like bodies all over the floor. But that is unlikely for me personally. One good strong whistle should do the trick.

Peace
Am I the only one who is watching all these "teets" going on and wondering if I'm back on the farm watching the cows being milked?...

I usually just tweet once. I have been known to tweet twice on occasion, like JRut mentioned when there's a pileup, or, say, when I need to get my partner's attention on subs. bz has a good idea about varying the loudness of each tweet, depending on cercumstances. It's like playing a musical instrument; anyone can just play the notes, but it takes a musician to be able to play that Fox 40 with feelin'.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 03:40pm
In Memoriam

Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I can't see any logic to more than one in this situation. I only use more than one of we have a strange situation or possible fight. I blew a foul last week that came out as two short blasts -- but it had something to do with my whistle --like I think the amount of spit in it -- but not the way I blew it.