The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

An official in my chapter was given a varsity boys game. (it will probably be the only one she gets this year) It was given to her by a friend, who got it directly from the school. It was a non-league game, but it did have a team (away)that is in the same league that her husbands( a coach) team is in. Her husbands team and the team she officiated should battle it out for the league title and right to go to the playoffs. Overall record is looked at for playoffs. Should she have taken and reffed this game???
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
No.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
No.
So I guess ethics are situational for you?
Official Forum Member

IMO, don't see how this game will have anything to do with them making the playoffs, unless this state is very different from most... usually they will have a district or region that determines who goes to state playoffs or state tourney, but i don't see a problem with doing a game like this... If this were true, there would be many of us not calling a whole lot of games because we have people that are related coaching a team that another team may play later in the season or in the playoffs!!! Let her call and have fun with it!!!!
Official Forum Member

Had to read that a few times to get down to the point. She got the game "second hand"

Any referee (and association) needs to be sensitive to the basics of the issue here.

Our policy is no games where we have direct family relations. Then we are (logically) instructed that if we see or learn we know someone - player - at game time of an "associate" we are to inform both coach's.

if your associate is experienced and can handle a good game this level - disclose in pre-game and call a good fair game. if she's new and stretching into a game a bit challenging for her - might want to "trade" it with someone else.

JMHO
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PIAA REF
An official in my chapter was given a varsity boys game. (it will probably be the only one she gets this year) It was given to her by a friend, who got it directly from the school. It was a non-league game, but it did have a team (away)that is in the same league that her husbands( a coach) team is in. Her husbands team and the team she officiated should battle it out for the league title and right to go to the playoffs. Overall record is looked at for playoffs. Should she have taken and reffed this game???
I don't know. What is your association's policy? Should the fact that her husband is a coach keep her from officiating any game that involves the league he is in?

About 90% of the games that our association refs are 4A in one league. If we had a ref that had a spouse who was a coach and we never let them ref in that league, all they'd get would be small school games. That would kinda suck.

Sounds like a policy needs to be looked at (or a policy needs to be made if you don't have one).

Z

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

The area in which I reside. No matter, what level both schools must agree on the officials doing the game. If neither or either school object she should not do the game. It's a one time deal let her do the game. Personally, I would not mind working with a female on any level.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
The area in which I reside. No matter, what level both schools must agree on the officials doing the game. If neither or either school object she should not do the game. It's a one time deal let her do the game. Personally, I would not mind working with a female on any level.
In all due respect - this wasn't and isn't about gender.

Read the post carefully( I had to read it a few times) - she "inherited" the game in a trade. The schools and association were not aware of her getting the game - and she has these relationships.

It's a good question.

Our association frowns on game trading.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I get told to F off, and my reply of, "That's mature, and I'm the one that needs a diaper change," which is responding to not only this but an insult in another thread, gets deleted?

WOW!

[Edited by bob jenkins on Dec 11th, 2005 at 08:50 AM]
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

IF you have to ask then I would say no. There will be other games, to officiate.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

No--we should be independent in appearance and fact.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Yes, If she was asked to referee it then someone must have thought she was capable of doing a great job.

I work games in a league that has a team that my lil brother is an assistant coach in. I have no problem with it and either do any of the coaches in the league.

I am sure she will do a profesional job to the best of her ability.

I say go for it and good luck!!!!
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
I get told to F off, and my reply of, "That's mature, and I'm the one that needs a diaper change," which is responding to not only this but an insult in another thread, gets deleted?

WOW!

My mistake. Sorry. Both posts have been deleted now (I hope).
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

WOW!

My mistake. Sorry. Both posts have been deleted now (I hope).
Actually, my 2nd reply is still up and contains both.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
So Dan, your game get started yet?