The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Should she ref it???? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23583-should-she-ref.html)

PIAA REF Fri Dec 09, 2005 02:13pm

An official in my chapter was given a varsity boys game. (it will probably be the only one she gets this year) It was given to her by a friend, who got it directly from the school. It was a non-league game, but it did have a team (away)that is in the same league that her husbands( a coach) team is in. Her husbands team and the team she officiated should battle it out for the league title and right to go to the playoffs. Overall record is looked at for playoffs. Should she have taken and reffed this game???

Dan_ref Fri Dec 09, 2005 02:23pm

No.

blindzebra Fri Dec 09, 2005 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
No.
So I guess ethics are situational for you?;)

jritchie Fri Dec 09, 2005 02:30pm

IMO, don't see how this game will have anything to do with them making the playoffs, unless this state is very different from most... usually they will have a district or region that determines who goes to state playoffs or state tourney, but i don't see a problem with doing a game like this... If this were true, there would be many of us not calling a whole lot of games because we have people that are related coaching a team that another team may play later in the season or in the playoffs!!! Let her call and have fun with it!!!!

Ref Daddy Fri Dec 09, 2005 02:30pm

Had to read that a few times to get down to the point. She got the game "second hand"

Any referee (and association) needs to be sensitive to the basics of the issue here.

Our policy is no games where we have <b>direct</b> family relations. Then we are (logically) instructed that if we see or learn we know someone - player - at game time of an "associate" we are to inform both coach's.

if your associate is experienced and can handle a good game this level - disclose in pre-game and call a good fair game. if she's new and stretching into a game a bit challenging for her - might want to "trade" it with someone else.

JMHO

zebraman Fri Dec 09, 2005 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by PIAA REF
An official in my chapter was given a varsity boys game. (it will probably be the only one she gets this year) It was given to her by a friend, who got it directly from the school. It was a non-league game, but it did have a team (away)that is in the same league that her husbands( a coach) team is in. Her husbands team and the team she officiated should battle it out for the league title and right to go to the playoffs. Overall record is looked at for playoffs. Should she have taken and reffed this game???

I don't know. What is your association's policy? Should the fact that her husband is a coach keep her from officiating any game that involves the league he is in?

About 90% of the games that our association refs are 4A in one league. If we had a ref that had a spouse who was a coach and we never let them ref in that league, all they'd get would be small school games. That would kinda suck.

Sounds like a policy needs to be looked at (or a policy needs to be made if you don't have one).

Z

truerookie Fri Dec 09, 2005 02:46pm

The area in which I reside. No matter, what level both schools must agree on the officials doing the game. If neither or either school object she should not do the game. It's a one time deal let her do the game. Personally, I would not mind working with a female on any level.

Ref Daddy Fri Dec 09, 2005 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by truerookie
The area in which I reside. No matter, what level both schools must agree on the officials doing the game. If neither or either school object she should not do the game. It's a one time deal let her do the game. Personally, I would not mind working with a female on any level.
In all due respect - this wasn't and isn't about gender.

Read the post carefully( I had to read it a few times) - she "inherited" the game in a trade. The schools and association were not aware of her getting the game - and she has these relationships.

It's a good question.

Our association frowns on game trading.

blindzebra Fri Dec 09, 2005 03:13pm

I get told to F off, and my reply of, "That's mature, and I'm the one that needs a diaper change," which is responding to not only this but an insult in another thread, gets deleted?

WOW!

[Edited by bob jenkins on Dec 11th, 2005 at 08:50 AM]

Snake~eyes Fri Dec 09, 2005 03:20pm

IF you have to ask then I would say no. There will be other games, to officiate.

som44 Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:09pm

No--we should be independent in appearance and fact.

BOBBYMO Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:56pm

Yes, If she was asked to referee it then someone must have thought she was capable of doing a great job.

I work games in a league that has a team that my lil brother is an assistant coach in. I have no problem with it and either do any of the coaches in the league.

I am sure she will do a profesional job to the best of her ability.

I say go for it and good luck!!!!

bob jenkins Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
I get told to F off, and my reply of, "That's mature, and I'm the one that needs a diaper change," which is responding to not only this but an insult in another thread, gets deleted?

WOW!

My mistake. Sorry. Both posts have been deleted now (I hope).

blindzebra Sat Dec 10, 2005 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra

WOW!

My mistake. Sorry. Both posts have been deleted now (I hope).

Actually, my 2nd reply is still up and contains both.

ChuckElias Sat Dec 10, 2005 09:49pm

So Dan, your game get started yet? :D