The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I need some help with the following questions from the NF Part 2 exam. Did I answer them correctly? Your assistance would be appreciated.
__________________________________________________ __________

Correctable Errors
13. A correctable error includes permitting the wrong team to attempt a throw-in. (I answered false. [2.10])

Definitions
33. "Point of interruption" is a method of resuming play after any technical foul or any double foul. (I answered false. Has to do with "any" technical foul. [4.36.1])

Live Ball - Dead Ball
72. The ball becomes dead immediately if A1's try for a field goal is in flight when B1 commits a violation for leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason. (I answered false. Has to do with "ball in flight". [6.7.9 exc. d])

Technical Fouls
87. A technical foul can be assessed to a head coach for using profane language in the team huddle during a time-out. (I answered true, but could not find rule application.)

Uniforms - Player Equipment
100. Headbands and sweatbands are permitted provided they are the same dominant color of the team jersey. (I answered false but again, could not find rule application.]

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BearBoy

87. A technical foul can be assessed to a head coach for using profane language in the team huddle during a time-out. (I answered true, but could not find rule application.)
10-4-1c (Note that there's no exception for "in the huddle". It was also a POE in the past couple of years.)

Quote:
100. Headbands and sweatbands are permitted provided they are the same dominant color of the team jersey. (I answered false but again, could not find rule application.]
3-5-2 Note that there's no restriction on the (single) color. The rule in the question *is* a college rule.

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
I need some help with the following questions from the NF Part 2 exam. Did I answer them correctly? Your assistance would be appreciated.
__________________________________________________ __________

Correctable Errors
13. A correctable error includes permitting the wrong team to attempt a throw-in. (I answered false. [2.10])

Definitions
33. "Point of interruption" is a method of resuming play after any technical foul or any double foul. (I answered false. Has to do with "any" technical foul. [4.36.1])

Live Ball - Dead Ball
72. The ball becomes dead immediately if A1's try for a field goal is in flight when B1 commits a violation for leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason. (I answered false. Has to do with "ball in flight". [6.7.9 exc. d])

Technical Fouls

13 - F

33 - F
ART. 1 . . . Method of resuming play due to an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, as in 5-4-3, a correctable error, as in 2-10-6, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, as in 4-19-8 and 4-19-10.

72 - F

87 - T

100 - T (I cant find the rule, but I dont think you can multi-colored head bands.

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
100 - T (I cant find the rule, but I dont think you can multi-colored head bands.
NCAA Rule.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:28pm
Never Stop Learning

3-5-2exp.2 states that "A headband no wider than 2 inches and made of nonabrasive, unadorned,(except for logo/trademark,see3-6)SINGLE-COLORED cloth, elastic, fiber, soft leather or rubber may be worn. Etc." So it doesn't have to match the same dominant color as the team jersey but it does have to be single colored.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

So what I think I interpret most of you saying in Question 100, is the statement is False because it is an NCAA rule and not NFHS?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 04:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So what I think I interpret most of you saying in Question 100, is the statement is False because it is an NCAA rule and not NFHS?
Nope, what they're saying is that #100 is false because the NFHS rules say that headbands can be any color. NCAA rules really don't have anything to do with the answer.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question 3 More Questions

Need some help on these three other questions.....

ALTERNATING POSSESSION
4. The alternating possession proceedure is always used after a double personal foul. (I said false because if neither team has control, wouldn't you have "point of interruption?)

COACHING RULE
7. Assistant coaches may stand to confer with bench pesonnel during any dead-ball period. (I said false, but think it could be true because wouldn't time-outs and periods between quarters be considered "dead-ball periods?)

9. A head coach ejected in the first half must leave the vicinity of the playing area immediately, but may go to the locker room to coach the team at halftime. (I said false...but my partner says true because the coach needs just to be out of "(sight & sound)" from the playing area....if he/she is in the locker room, how do we know if coaching is going on during the halftime intermission?)

Your help would be appreciated! THANX!

Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 06:30pm
In Memoriam

Re: 3 More Questions

Quote:
ALTERNATING POSSESSION
4. The alternating possession proceedure is always used after a double personal foul. (I said false because if neither team has control, wouldn't you have "point of interruption?)

COACHING RULE
7. Assistant coaches may stand to confer with bench pesonnel during any dead-ball period. (I said false, but think it could be true because wouldn't time-outs and periods between quarters be considered "dead-ball periods?)

9. A head coach ejected in the first half must leave the vicinity of the playing area immediately, but may go to the locker room to coach the team at halftime. (I said false...but my partner says true because the coach needs just to be out of "(sight & sound)" from the playing area....if he/she is in the locker room, how do we know if coaching is going on during the halftime intermission?)

#4. Your reasoning is correct. False as per R7-5-9.

#7. False is the correct answer. All bench personnel can stand during time-outs as per the exception listed under R10-4-4(c), but they are restricted to the bench during some dead-ball periods- such as after violations, during a substitution, after a made basket, etc.

#9. False is the correct answer. If a coach gets tossed, they have to leave the vicinity of the playing court and they're prohibited from any contact with their team for the rest of the game. R10-5NOTE2 right at the end of that section.

Please tell me that you've already written and handed in this exam.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 10th, 2005 at 06:50 PM]
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Jurassic Referee....

Indeed I did, however, the State Association doesn't post our scores until after the test deadline. The questions I posed on this forum were those that our "3-Crew" had some "spirited" discussions about, after our test, with "copious" amounts of "spirits" during the discussions. I trust that when the scores are posted....we'll continue our "spirited" conversations.....again with our favorite spirits!

Thanx again for confirming my answers!
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 07:54pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Jurassic Referee....

Indeed I did, however, the State Association doesn't post our scores until after the test deadline. The questions I posed on this forum were those that our "3-Crew" had some "spirited" discussions about, after our test, with "copious" amounts of "spirits" during the discussions. I trust that when the scores are posted....we'll continue our "spirited" conversations.....again with our favorite spirits!

Thanx again for confirming my answers!
Thank you for learning the rules the correct way.

Have a spirit for me.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 05:56pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

ALTERNATING POSSESSION
No. If neither team has control, then you would use the AP. It would be false because if either team had control then it would be POI.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

ALTERNATING POSSESSION
False is the correct answer but not for the reason you gave. You can have a POI when there is no team control.

Examples:

• A1 has the ball for a throwin when a double foul is committed by A2 and B2. While there is no team control, the POI is the throwin for A. A's ball.

• A1 shoots. While the all is in the air, B5 and A5 commit a double foul. The shot goes. B gets the ball OOB.

The AP is used when you don't have any way to determine who would have the ball next....shot in the air, double foul, shot misses.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Dec 11th, 2005 at 06:42 PM]
  • __________________
    Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
    Commissioner, Portland Basketball Officials Association
    Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 06:55pm
    M.A.S.H.

Confused...

Guess I'm missing something.

Can you give me a reference?

I'm not following how if there's no team control during a throw-in, you can still give the ball to team A without using the AP.
    Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 07:01pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: Confused...

Quote:
    Originally posted by tjones1
    Guess I'm missing something.

Can you give me a reference?

I'm not following how if there's no team control during a throw-in, you can still give the ball to team A without using the AP.
    Team A has the ball for a throw-in. Before the throw-in is completed, A2 and B2 are called for a double foul.

Ruling: Resume the game with A's throw-in.