The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

This is my first post though I've been reading the forum for a few years now and have really enjoyed many of the discussions. Situation last night that I am hoping to get feedback on. I think I know the answer. On a deadball, we had several substitutions. The ball was inbounded, I was new lead and my partner was trail. As the ball crossed halfcourt, my partner stopped the game because someone at the table told him that home team only had 4 players in the game. My partner blew the whistle and summoned me over. We realized that the home team did, in fact, only have 4 in the game. We discussed it and my partner told me that he thought that it was legal. I used to think that but somewhere along the way, either from reading the rule book or from what other officials told me, I thought that it was illegal if a team had 5 eligible to play (and I know Coach Dale did it in the movie Hoosiers, "My team is on the floor". Anyway, as the referee, I decided to assess a bench technical and take away the home team coach's privilege to stand. Needless to say, he was not happy. I, now think after some thought and discussion after the game, think that the act of having four in the game is legal. I am very mad at myself for screwing it up. Any thoughts? Also, any suggestions on what to do if you aren't sure of a rule? Thanks.