Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:03am
M.A.S.H.

Gotta agree with Chuck.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

If the assistant does *not* leave the bench, asks for a call,
but does not scream, what is an appropriate response?
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefNVa
I simply tell the HC that if he doesn't control has AC I will T him and you will lose bench privelages. It's never failed to work for me yet, course there's always a first time for everything! :>C
What part of Virginia do you officiate??
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ColdShot
Say to the HEAD coach, "Coach, please remind your bench that you're the only one who's allowed to talk to the officials. Thanks."
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with a lot of what has been said already. It depends on how far off the bench the AC was and what his tone is/was? If he was showing an official up then T him immediately; however, dont be too quick to hit the TWEETER and hand out a T. I never speak to AC just to HC's. If you give the HC and stern stiff warning such as: "you are the only one allowed up off the bench and your AC needs to have a seat and stop yelling...if not its gonna cost you your box." I know this will work. I just recently, this year, started coaching and hung the wistle up for a few years. In our game last night, I was all over the place, coaching from tip to final horn. I was never yelling at an official or even asking for a call, just coaching my players. I was outta the box more than in, but I was coaching. I think officials will grant you this as long as your not at mid court screaming at them....coaching is one thing and lobbying for calls is another.

The reason I say this is because I value my priviledge as a coach to walk the sideline and COACH. Most coaches do. So if you, as an official, issue a stern warning to a HC about his AC, then most of the time the HC will take care of the situation.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I did give the assistant a "T". He is off the bench two steps on the floor. This is a no brainer IMO. I have been observing experienced officials apply some of those warnings mentioned in other comments. It has not worked because they (coaches) know those officials officiating their game do not want to write a report to the state. Both schools involved in the match have rowdy fans, coaches and assistants. The assistant coach behavior was not appropriate under any circumstances. Once again, as a crew we covered bench decorum; coaching box; sportmanship; proper wear of uniform in pregame with HC. IMO, sufficient warning given. IMO, there are too many warnings being given out during course of season.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Quote:
I agree with a lot of what has been said already. It depends on how far off the bench the AC was and what his tone is/was? If he was showing an official up then T him immediately; however, dont be too quick to hit the TWEETER and hand out a T. I never speak to AC just to HC's. If you give the HC and stern stiff warning such as: "you are the only one allowed up off the bench and your AC needs to have a seat and stop yelling...if not its gonna cost you your box." I know this will work. I just recently, this year, started coaching and hung the wistle up for a few years. In our game last night, I was all over the place, coaching from tip to final horn. I was never yelling at an official or even asking for a call, just coaching my players. I was outta the box more than in, but I was coaching. I think officials will grant you this as long as your not at mid court screaming at them....coaching is one thing and lobbying for calls is another.

The reason I say this is because I value my priviledge as a coach to walk the sideline and COACH. Most coaches do. So if you, as an official, issue a stern warning to a HC about his AC, then most of the time the HC will take care of the situation.
You stated it yourself, you are in violation of a rule out of coaching box. Did the officials cover the coaching box with you in their pregame? Stern warning issue in pregame with coaches.

The conduct you describe is a POE this year. Discipline, yourself to stay within the confines of the box.

Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 11:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Let them hang themselves

You always want to give the team the rope to hang themselves when you can. It is better when they violate something after you have made a point. If you ask them the question about who is the head coach (loud enough) so that it can be heard by the AC, they know where you stand. If you decide to give a T after that, then they cannot say later, "You did not give us a warning." Of course you never have to give a warning and it will depend on the type of comment that was made as well. If all they are doing is yelling about a call and not being vulgar or just flat out disrespectful and personal with their words, give them an out. If they choose to pursue you further, then they cannot complain.

Last night I had an AC standing while coaching and I told him to sit down. He was not yelling at me or my partner, but he was violating the rules. I let him know where I stood and we did not have a problem the entire game. If I would have just T'd the coach, the coach would have clearly thought I was being a red-*** about this rule. I had a very brief word with the HC and we did not have another problem with either bench the rest of the night. Give them an out to make the right decision.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

First time I hear the Asst. Coach I'm giving the Head Coach the opportunity to deal with it. The second time it's an automatic whack.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twref
First time I hear the Asst. Coach I'm giving the Head Coach the opportunity to deal with it. The second time it's an automatic whack.
So, let me get this right. First, time shame on you. Second, shame on me. Got it!
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
Ok, I did give the assistant a "T". He is off the bench two steps on the floor. This is a no brainer IMO.
I agree completely - I would have done the same in this situation. Direct T to assistant, indirect T to HC, & now they both get to sit the rest of the game. My tolerance window would also get extremely narrow - next inappropriate word or action by the AC earns him an early exit & the HC his 2nd indirect T.

If the AC's conduct hasn't quite stepped across the line yet, then you can often nip it in the bud with a calm but firm "coach, you need to get your bench under control" to the HC at the first opportunity.

Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You stated it yourself, you are in violation of a rule out of coaching box. Did the officials cover the coaching box with you in their pregame? Stern warning issue in pregame with coaches.

The conduct you describe is a POE this year. Discipline, yourself to stay within the confines of the box.

As I said, I am not officiating this season, I'm coaching. So I wasnt at the meetings this year. The way I see things is this...if a coach is outta the box yelling at an official about a call then get him/her back in the box...but if a coach is coaching the game then nothing is being hurt IMO. I was told by the 2 officials working the game last night that if the opposing coach complains about me being out of the box then it would be a problem...but as long as I was coaching and not yelling at them they were fine with it.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I said, I am not officiating this season, I'm coaching. So I wasnt at the meetings this year. The way I see things is this...if a coach is outta the box yelling at an official about a call then get him/her back in the box...but if a coach is coaching the game then nothing is being hurt IMO.
While I agree, it's not how the FED sees it, nor how my state wants it enforced. So, I do what I'm told.

You should find out whether what the two officials told you is the standard in your area.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
As I said, I am not officiating this season, I'm coaching. So I wasnt at the meetings this year. The way I see things is this...if a coach is outta the box yelling at an official about a call then get him/her back in the box...but if a coach is coaching the game then nothing is being hurt IMO.
While I agree, it's not how the FED sees it, nor how my state wants it enforced. So, I do what I'm told.

You should find out whether what the two officials told you is the standard in your area.
I agree completely Bob. Had the officials told me to stay in the box and not come out, thats where I woulda been. I'm sure this was probably addressed at the officials meetings before the season. I guess the 2man crew last night didnt want to enforce it. By the way we won 47-21.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As I said, I am not officiating this season, I'm coaching. So I wasnt at the meetings this year. The way I see things is this...if a coach is outta the box yelling at an official about a call then get him/her back in the box...but if a coach is coaching the game then nothing is being hurt IMO. I was told by the 2 officials working the game last night that if the opposing coach complains about me being out of the box then it would be a problem...but as long as I was coaching and not yelling at them they were fine with it.
You can coach from within the box. Coach, it is large enough. This is a common problem. The coach is not bothering me he/she can do whatever they like. In the state which I reside (Missouri) regardless if the coach is just coach he/she is required to stay within the confines of the coaching box period. It should not take another coach to complain for the rule to be enforced. For Example, I was the opposing coach and I see that you are getting away with something illegal like being out of the box. I am going to do the same thing which is going to cause a snowball effect on the game. Not only do the official have to worry about the 10 player and action on the court. They are going to have to worry about managing two coaches on the sidelines as well. Thus, making it to be a very long night.