The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

I realize that it is a standard taboo to make a call out of your area BUT what if your partner is missing obvious fouls. I hate to respond to a coach "That's not my call" (Or something to that effect.)

Case in point:
Tonight I wore the coaching hat for my sons team and had the worst scenario. One official, who I know and have worked with, absolutly refuses to make a call outside his area - and the other must have been on some distant planet! To make matters worse because the kid had such horrid mechanics he ended up in the lead position for most of the first half under my basket. Needless to say I got NO calls.

I am very interested in everyone's feedback for as a newer official I don't want to be rude, but I have really put my nose to the study materials and watched alot of experienced guys to better my skills and have a hard time bearing with those who seem to care less. Not to mention the atrocity for those coaches and players who deserve our best.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I'm not quite sure what your question is, but if you're looking for guidance for yourself, the bottom of page 23 in the officials manual includes, "Even though both officials have primary areas of responsibility, each shall call any infraction which [sic] is detected."

Also, a better answer to a coach than "It's not my call" (coach response: Hell. You're the one wearing the striped shirt) is "I was looking over here, where I'm supposed to be looking -- I didn't see it."
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 11:04am
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins on 01-07-2000 08:48 AM
... "I was looking over here, where I'm supposed to be looking -- I didn't see it."

Yeah, Bob, or "I was looking off ball". It sounds a lot better to me than "Yes, Coach, my partner is weak, and I am not comfortable reaching that far."

Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to drasch
Talking

I try to live by the old adage: " If a murder happens in my partners area, send flowers."
Old Sat Jan 08, 2000, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

What annoys me is when the ball is in my primary and I pass on contact and my partner comes in with the call.

I always try to be diplomatic and at half or after the game ask "Hey, on that one call, if we were both looking at the ball, who was watching the other eight players?"

Of course, if any of them get ambivalent, I can always fall back on "Well if you want to make all the calls, I can give you my check too."
Old Sat Jan 08, 2000, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I would never give them my check, but I have told my partner that "since he didn't need my help I was going home."

This usually gets his attention and makes the point.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2000, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by b_silliman on 01-08-2000 09:52 PM
I have told my partner that "since he didn't need my help I was going home."

Beautiful!

That's the line I'm going to use from now on.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2000, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Weaver on 01-07-2000 02:23 AM
I realize that it is a standard taboo to make a call out of your area BUT what if your partner is missing obvious fouls. I hate to respond to a coach "That's not my call" (Or something to that effect.)

Case in point:
Tonight I wore the coaching hat for my sons team and had the worst scenario. One official, who I know and have worked with, absolutly refuses to make a call outside his area - and the other must have been on some distant planet! To make matters worse because the kid had such horrid mechanics he ended up in the lead position for most of the first half under my basket. Needless to say I got NO calls.

I am very interested in everyone's feedback for as a newer official I don't want to be rude, but I have really put my nose to the study materials and watched alot of experienced guys to better my skills and have a hard time bearing with those who seem to care less. Not to mention the atrocity for those coaches and players who deserve our best.

Douglas,

In my pregame I tell my partner to be SURE if you make the call in my area. What if I get straightlined? I expect my pard to back me up. A little ego check at the door will do wonders.

Old Sun Jan 09, 2000, 03:15am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

The one I always use when a partner makes a foul or violation call that I passed on when it happens about 6 inches away from me and about 40 feet away from him is that I wait until the next break and say, "Ya know, a lot of guys would get really upset about you makin' calls in their area like that. I just wanted to let ya' know." They get the message.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2000, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Angry

Gee Wizz, did anyone ever hear of a pregame! This is the time referee's are supposed to get on the same page. This is where you talk about the what if's! I talk about the fact that if i miss the ELEPHANT go ahead and take it! It sounds to me that the pregame is falling by the wayside, and there is little trust for our partners. We all make mistakes, if you boot one admit it, don't put on the "white Hat" and let the coach's drive a wedge between you and your partner.

------------------
Don
Old Sun Jan 09, 2000, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

I agree this is a situation best covered in pregame. My line: "Partner, if you know I -missed- one in my area, please call it and get it right. If you think I -passed- on it, please let it go."

Now, as a varsity rookie adjusting to coach relations, I ask you vets this: What if the coach -knows- it's not your call, but says, loud enough for all to hear, "Hey, you can help your partner out on that one!" I don't yet have a good reply to this. "I was watching off-ball?" "My partner had a far better look at it than I did?" "Hey, I can't have you ripping my partner like that?" Which works best?

Paul
Old Sun Jan 09, 2000, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but I thought we were talking about the guy who wanted to do it all!

I agree that the pregame goes a long way it setting the atmosphere for the game to follow.

Even if I pass on a play, my partner(s) know that if they see something then it is ok to make the call, as long as it results in a advantage/disadvantage situation.

Keep on calling!
Old Sun Jan 09, 2000, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Ref on 01-09-2000 03:44 PM
[D]id anyone ever hear of a pregame[?]!

I can't speak for Mark or Silliman, but judging by their posts, I'm sure they conduct pre-games, as do I. But can you honestly say you've never had a partner who didn't want to do one? Or who said, "Oh, we'll just make eye contact and go from there."

I have found that (and I do not mean this to be a blanket endorsement) often the partners who don't think they need a pre-game are the ones who need it the most. I usually end up doing one by myself and talking out loud and asking my partner if I'm right. ("Okay, so we'll switch on all fouls, right?")

Unfortunately, they don't pay full attention and those games often end up in disarray.

[This message has been edited by Todd (Mike) Mullen (edited January 09, 2000).]
Old Tue Jan 11, 2000, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Alaska Ref hit it on the head.. PRE-GAME, PRE-GAME, PRE-GAME. I always take out my little white eraseable baors, you knoe the one that has a little court drawn on it, and visually show my partner(s) where & when I will be looking off ball and when I will jump back on ball again. They will very seldom find me calling in their area and I expect them to call their area only beacause if they are calling in mine, no-one is calling in theirs. A quick chat during a time out or at half time can re-visit this problem and hopefully correct it. Get the game film from the school and look at it together and this will show them more that you can talk. Just watch the heads of those officials that 'follow the ball" all over the court. It's a dead give away..!!