View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 09, 2000, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Weaver on 01-07-2000 02:23 AM
I realize that it is a standard taboo to make a call out of your area BUT what if your partner is missing obvious fouls. I hate to respond to a coach "That's not my call" (Or something to that effect.)

Case in point:
Tonight I wore the coaching hat for my sons team and had the worst scenario. One official, who I know and have worked with, absolutly refuses to make a call outside his area - and the other must have been on some distant planet! To make matters worse because the kid had such horrid mechanics he ended up in the lead position for most of the first half under my basket. Needless to say I got NO calls.

I am very interested in everyone's feedback for as a newer official I don't want to be rude, but I have really put my nose to the study materials and watched alot of experienced guys to better my skills and have a hard time bearing with those who seem to care less. Not to mention the atrocity for those coaches and players who deserve our best.

Douglas,

In my pregame I tell my partner to be SURE if you make the call in my area. What if I get straightlined? I expect my pard to back me up. A little ego check at the door will do wonders.