The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Saw this in a varsity boys game over the weekend. Team A with ball OOB underneath their own basket. Inbound ball pass it around perimeter for about 10 seconds timer spaces out and does not run clock. Crew does a "do over" and resets game underneath and does the 10 seconds over again. Is this correct?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Did the clock run at all?

My guess would be that they realized the clock hadn't started and an official blew his/her whistle. At that point, probably got together to see if there was definte knowledge of how much time had ran off. My guess is that there wasn't so they inbounded the ball again with basically no time running off the clock. Just a guess...
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ripcord51
Saw this in a varsity boys game over the weekend. Team A with ball OOB underneath their own basket. Inbound ball pass it around perimeter for about 10 seconds timer spaces out and does not run clock. Crew does a "do over" and resets game underneath and does the 10 seconds over again. Is this correct?
ripcord, if this is close to the beginning or middle of a quarter it's not nearly as big of deal like if there was under 30 seconds left.
Did any shots take place?
Did the ball stay in control of the inbounding team?
I would say the officials blew the ball dead in order to wake up the timer rather than for a do-over.
That's where you remind the timer to stay with his "A game" or he'll get you in trouble with coaches and fans.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1

My guess would be that they realized the clock hadn't started and an official blew his/her whistle. At that point, probably got together to see if there was definte knowledge of how much time had ran off. My guess is that there wasn't so they inbounded the ball again with basically no time running off the clock. Just a guess...
Hey, I thought you had school-work to get back to. ??
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:49pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1

Hey, I thought you had school-work to get back to. ??
LOL... Going to do it after my game tonight, which I'm leaving for right now.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nope, they can't take any time off the clock unless they have definite knowledge of exactly how much time needs to be taken off. There was no rules justification for the crew to give a "do-over" in that situation.

NFHS rule 5-10.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

For the love of God, not again!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Nope, they can't take any time off the clock unless they have definite knowledge of exactly how much time needs to be taken off. There was no rules justification for the crew to give a "do-over" in that situation.

NFHS rule 5-10.
Well you are saying they cant do both and they had to do one. Either doover or start the game after guessing how much time came off the clock.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

NFHS rule 5-10.
So what else is there? Either put the ball back in play with clock adjusted, or put the ball back in play with clock not adjusted. The second one is going to look like a do-over.

The only other choice is to get the clock going without killing the ball. But if the timer is really spaced out royal, you just have to whistle it dead, and...

...what, exactly?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Either doover or start the game after guessing how much time ...
I'm not a betting person, but if I were, I'd give you 100 to 1 that JR will comment on the use of the word "guess". You can't "guess". YOU have to have certain knowledge.