The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Arrow

Hey everyone, (long post - sorry about that)

For those of you that don't know me - IÂ’m Pat, a local ref from Central Jersey. I completed a training course this year to hopefully get out of my local rec league and start working some better / higher basketball.

12/3 I had three CYO games. (first CYO games ever)... I really like the CYO setup; coaches are nicer, scoreboards work, scorer and time keeper , people who know the rules, wont fight with you... anyway...

After I completed my CYO games I got a call from my local rec league saying they needed help at the middle school.

So I arrived at the middle school and found out that they had two newer refs (one brand new, the other worked a few games last year) working a 5-6th grade boys game... One had an Acme, and the other a pea from walmart. They were wearing collared shirts with pockets and jeans. (keep in mind they are new and Jr's in high school)...

So I show up from CYO - Shirt, pants, Fox40 etc... and the site manager decides to put me in a Half time... Take the brand new official and run the clock... And I will work with Mr. Pea – the one year official

As the game progresses, I start calling obvious, (let me repeat - obvious) fouls. My partner (mr pea) was the lead and was watching these kids plow each other into the wall. A1 dribbles and attempts a shot - B1 knocks him out and into the wall...

So I deem it intentional *(and that’s where it all started – since NO ONE knows what an Intentional is)... One coach from B comes onto the court and says (hold your laughter)... He’s calling too many fouls!!! That’s not a foul!!! Get him off the court! So I begin reporting it to the scorer (who really isn't keeping score or fouls until I asked him too) and continue on... 2 shots made. We move on.

Next, the coach (A) decides she is going to walk onto the court and say - Hey ref, just put the whistle down, he didnÂ’t even touch him!!! (Tweet )... Well everyone knows where that one was going...

So after the game, an evaluator from somewhere - walked up to me and said - I was waiting for that T... Good job.

Now I find out mr. pea wants to work a 7-8th girls game with me. So I took his name and number and ill give him some pointers this week before the game.

In retrospect... I have a few questions. Would you have handled it the way I did? Would you have “wacked” her sooner? Any tips for me to focus on w. Mr. Pea? Any comments? Concerns? Helpful hints?

Thanks
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

"So I deem it intentional *(and that’s where it all started – since NO ONE knows what an Intentional is)... One coach from B comes onto the court and says (hold your laughter)... He’s calling too many fouls!!! That’s not a foul!!! Get him off the court! So I begin reporting it to the scorer (who really isn't keeping score or fouls until I asked him too) and continue on... 2 shots made. We move on."

Why didn't this coach also get a T?

It is likely, that this set the bar that the other coach did not even reach.

As for working with inexperienced partners.

Talk whenever you get a chance during the game.

Do not start reffing the entire floor. Expand your coverage some, but only reach for stuff that needs to be called, and talk about the rest when you get the chance. Keep the game safe, but don't become robo ref.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Pat,

I'm sorry about the way I called the game but you don't know the whole story. The kid that got slammed onto the wall had rifled my locker the weekend prior and stolen my new Fox40, V-neck shirt and $60 I had in my wallet. He also took my cars keys.....I had to walk 7 miles to get home.

When he got slammed into the wall, I swallowed my back-up Walmart Whistle. "Frontier Justice".....is what I call it.

You might want to have your hearing checked, too. That Coach didn't say,"Just put the whistle down.....he didn't touch him."

He clearly stated,
"Thank God you are around.......welcome to the Gym."

I take back that offer to Ref with you ever again!

Mr. Pea

PS - Your fly was open the entire game. And the guy you thought was the Evaluator is "Father O'Malley" who sometimes has a little too much wine during Mass if you ask me.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 05:13pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
I really like the CYO setup; coaches are nicer, scoreboards work, scorer and time keeper , people who know the rules, wont fight with you... anyway...
Maybe I need to come to Jersy because "coaches are nicer" and "CYO" is often an oxymoron.

And of course I have to offer my own story...

8th grade CYO girls game, Home team down one in the closing seconds. I've got the home book and Coach's preteen daughter is on the clock and doing a good job for this game and the prior game.

Home team tries to get a shot off and there is tie up and a held ball. Clock stops on what sounds like the whistle, at least I thought it was too, and all of a sudden the visiting coach is up at the table screaming at the timer that she stopped the clock too soon. I yell back "Don't mouth off at my timer!". (Coaches at the table when the game is in process is my #1 peeve). He then starts appealing to the referees who decided for whatever reason to take one second off the clock.

But while the referees were at the table, I asked the one (who I've seen and known from HS games hes's reffeed) if he could do me a favor and tell the visiting coach the next time he verbally abuses my timer, I will personally T him up

I'm not sure what was said, but at least the final 0:01 went off without any further incident.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball