Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Tweet,

I wasn't there so you may have got them all right. However, 10 cases where bodies hit the floor with no whistle sounds like a lot.

Going with too many non-calls can lead to a pretty rough game and things can get ugly.

Like I said, I wasn't there. While evaluatiung other officials, I have seen a lot more non-calls that should have had a whistle than the other way around.

Z
Really?

I tend to see blocks that could have been charges, charges that could have been blocks, and one or the other that could have been nothing.

Many inexperienced official struggle with consistency by penalizing good defense or rewarding acting, there is a reason block/charge is considered the hardest call.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Tweet,

I wasn't there so you may have got them all right. However, 10 cases where bodies hit the floor with no whistle sounds like a lot.

Going with too many non-calls can lead to a pretty rough game and things can get ugly.

Like I said, I wasn't there. While evaluatiung other officials, I have seen a lot more non-calls that should have had a whistle than the other way around.

Z
Really?

I tend to see blocks that could have been charges, charges that could have been blocks, and one or the other that could have been nothing.

Many inexperienced official struggle with consistency by penalizing good defense or rewarding acting, there is a reason block/charge is considered the hardest call.
I don't.

It's usually the easist call.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Tweet,

Z
Really?

I don't.

It's easy when you have seen enough of them, do we need to define inexperienced for you?
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref-X
Correct me if IÂ’m wrong. But players flopping is a technical foul. At lease in here it is.
If you want to be technically right it would be. It would not make a lot of common sense if there is some contact if you ask me. I just would not go there unless there was no contact at all.

Peace
I see your point. It sounded like ther may have been a lot of flopping. I know I have had games where the kids flop so good and so often you have to stop it.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Tweet,

Z
Really?

I don't.

It's easy when you have seen enough of them, do we need to define inexperienced for you?
IMO they are easy enough for most inexperienced officials to judge properly.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I see your point. It sounded like ther may have been a lot of flopping. I know I have had games where the kids flop so good and so often you have to stop it.
Call a foul on them. They will eventually get the message. Either they are not going to be around very much longer trying to flop or fake contact. I am also not saying to never call a T on a flop. I just would try other means. When you call a T, now the focus is on rather than the player. When the focus changes to you as the official, now every call is dissected. If you are calling a T on this play, what other things could you call a T for? Get my drift?

Peace
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

At a camp, I heard a big timer from the NCAA talk about judgment on the block/charge. He said he basically looks at where the contact is made. If the defender gets hit right in the chest, its a PC foul. If the defender gets hit anywhere else, its a block. Not exactly by the book, but if you look at them all this way, you'll at least be consistant. I thought it was a nice, simple way to look at a play that can be confusing for lesser experienced officials.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
At a camp, I heard a big timer from the NCAA talk about judgment on the block/charge. He said he basically looks at where the contact is made. If the defender gets hit right in the chest, its a PC foul. If the defender gets hit anywhere else, its a block. Not exactly by the book, but if you look at them all this way, you'll at least be consistant. I thought it was a nice, simple way to look at a play that can be confusing for lesser experienced officials.
I guess B1 can take it right in the chest and that contact is never when B1 stepped into A1?
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Call a foul on them. They will eventually get the message. Either they are not going to be around very much longer trying to flop or fake contact. I am also not saying to never call a T on a flop. I just would try other means. When you call a T, now the focus is on rather than the player. When the focus changes to you as the official, now every call is dissected. If you are calling a T on this play, what other things could you call a T for? Get my drift?

Peace
I hear ya. I have only given the T for this once. The same kid was Flopping all over the place. After the second one. I warned the coach. Then he did it again, and I had the whack him. It did stop after that. But I understand your point.

Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I guess B1 can take it right in the chest and that contact is never when B1 stepped into A1?
good point. If there is LGP B1 gets there first then the onus is on A1 to avoid the contact etc.,

I see this a lot on the sidelines, B1 is there with just a little room to spare; however, A1 forces the issue and tries to go by, he might hit B1 a little off square and the official calls the block because B1 did not get hit in the chest, but by rule B1 was correct.

Thanks
David