The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

I wanted to tell everyone that I learned last night the benefit of a good pre-game conference with your partners. I did a varsity game with two very experienced referees in our association (one is our association president). I asked them if we could review some things (this is my second year of doing varisty games). They both were more than willing to discuss how we would call the game and we reviewed certain situations. Three things that happened in the game showed me that the pre-game with your partners is crucial:

1) The home team had a center that is about 6'8". At one point he attempted to block a shot and hit his hand against the backboard. We called nothing since it was not an intentional slap of the board. This was something we specifically discussed before the game since we knew there were a couple of tall players in the game.

2) We had a team control foul in the third quarter. Unfortunately the visiting coach had never heard of the new rule and earned a technical from one of my partners for acting like a maniac because he did not get a one and one. What I though was good about it was, once again, we talked it through in pre-game so when it happened on the court we did not need to come together and discuss it or even look at each other, we just continued play.

3) At one point I was T and the L and I had a double whistle on a drive to the basket. We made eye contact and I was waiting for him to take it but he just stood there. I finally went over to him and told him to take it. He said "no, it came from your primary. Remember, we talked about this before the game". Well, by that time I forgot who fouled so I told him and he simply said "#14". There were no dumb looks from him, just a helpful partner.

Anyway, I was very glad we did the pre-game and I will continue to do one before each game I do. Also, there have been a few threads here recently about experienced veterans not wanting to help new referees. I also wanted to tell everyone that these two guys last night were absolutely outstanding and professional and, overall, I think we did a pretty good job as a team.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

johnnyrao,

A thorough pregame is always helpful as you just found out.

I don't recall any officials on this board who aren't willing to help new referees. In fact, a lot of what is posted here is by "veterans" and it's for the benefit of newer officials.

Regardless of whether I'm working with a fairly new official or someone that I have worked with many times, I will always have a thorough pregame.

Z
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
2) We had a team control foul in the third quarter. Unfortunately the visiting coach had never heard of the new rule and earned a technical from one of my partners for acting like a maniac because he did not get a one and one
You mean one of those veteran officials couldn't talk this coach out of a T?

It seems a good strong explanation of the new rule would have shut the coach up before he went into the maniac mode.
It doesn't have to be long and drawn out...somethnig like, "New rule this year coach, has to do with Team Control". If the coach wants to know more and you don't feel like explaining it all...just tell him you can explain it later when it won't hold up the game. (i.e. Time-out, Between quarters...you might even ask the other coach if s/he wants an explanation at the same time.)

Off topic...sidenote to zebraman:
Hey Kevin,
did ya see the article in Sports Illustrated on your west side boy from Snohomish...Jon Brockman? (Univ. of Washington)
I had the good fortune to officiate one of his H.S. games last spring...that guy is a class act.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

In Ohio, all Varsity coaches are to attend a state rules meeting. Team control was the major topic of discussion.

If they don't know the rules and want to argue - "WHACK"

Had a Varsity coach in a scrimmage last week whine about a kid stepping on the end line during a throw in. Player was not over the line. I said to the coach - "Line's out of bounds coach" and headed up the floor.

Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

The coach was given ample time to get an explanation of the team control rule but he wanted to rant and carry on instead of letting my partner explain it to him. When he refused to return to the coaches box after about 3-4 warnings he got what he deserved.

By the way, a few minutes later we had a 1 and 1 foul and I happened to be table side. The coach asked me (this time he did ask) why there were no foul shots and I explained to him that this was a rule change for this season. He said that it wasn't covered at the rules clinic he went to. I told him it was covered at ours and it's also in the rule book. His reply was "I guess I owe your partner an apology". He said absoloutely nothing the rest of the game so my take on it is he was sincere and relaized that maybe he was wrong in this one. Anyway, if he had asked from the start he would not have received the T but it was clearly deserved in this case.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The coach was given ample time to get an explanation of the team control rule but he wanted to rant and carry on instead of letting my partner explain it to him. When he refused to return to the coaches box after about 3-4 warnings he got what he deserved.

Big mistake imo. One warning - then nail him. That's what a "warning" is for. Doing it your partner's way means that coach is gonna expect 3-4 warnings every single time that he whines about something. The opposing coach will also expect equal treatment naturally, and I don't blame him. Fair's fair. It makes for a lot of whining and a lot of warning. Nip it in the bud.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Big mistake imo. One warning - then nail him. That's what a "warning" is for. Doing it your partner's way means that coach is gonna expect 3-4 warnings every single time that he whines about something. The opposing coach will also expect equal treatment naturally, and I don't blame him. Fair's fair. It makes for a lot of whining and a lot of warning. Nip it in the bud.

Other than a player throw in plane violation, delay of game or final horn during a time-out, where is it printed in the rule book that an official must give out one warning before issuing a technical to a coach who demonstrates unsporting behavior?

Did the officials offer multiple warnings per team during a coach's pregame?

Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

Off topic...sidenote to zebraman:
Hey Kevin,
did ya see the article in Sports Illustrated on your west side boy from Snohomish...Jon Brockman? (Univ. of Washington)
I had the good fortune to officiate one of his H.S. games last spring...that guy is a class act.
No I hadn't seen the article. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure and pick that mag up this weekend. I had him three times last year. Best player I've ever reffed, but also the classiest kid I've ever reffed too. His parents should be proud for many reasons.

Z
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnny1784
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Other than a player throw in plane violation, delay of game or final horn during a time-out, where is it printed in the rule book that an official must give out one warning before issuing a technical to a coach who demonstrates unsporting behavior?

Did the officials offer multiple warnings per team during a coach's pregame?
It's called Game Management Johnny...

I wasn't there, but it sounds like a Coach got upset because he thought the officials made a mistake in the administration of a foul shot. (or lack thereof)

Surprise, Surprise...a coach made a mistake regarding a new rule. (The coach would have been correct...last year)

Now if you want to Whack the coach for "hollering" about something he indeed thought was missed...go for it.

If you want to be an official who can communicate with a coach without throwing T's around...you can choose that route to. That's the beauty of being an official...there's black and white issues, and then there's the gray areas. The areas where one official may do something different than another official and neither be wrong...game management.

Trust me...you don't have to tell JR what the rules are about warnings (or anything else for that matter)...that dude knows the rules inside and out. I don't mean to be speaking for JR...but I believe he would give a coach a chance to back down from his "hollering" once he explained a new rule...now that coach probably wouldn't get much room after the explanation (I know the coach wouldn't with me), but that IMO, is good game management.

Having said all that...I don't think anyone here is saying to give every coach one warning before you whack em' for unsporting behavior...use your judgement, that's part of the gray area in officiating.
I'd be willing to bet if that official that whacked the coach for unsporting behavior worked for JR...the official would be backed by JR all the way.

Richland, WA
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 03:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
[/B]
If you want to be an official who can communicate with a coach without throwing T's around...you can choose that route to. That's the beauty of being an official...there's black and white issues, and then there's the gray areas. The areas where one official may do something different than another official and neither be wrong...game management.

I believe he would give a coach a chance to back down from his "hollering" once he explained a new rule...now that coach probably wouldn't get much room after the explanation (I know the coach wouldn't with me), but that IMO, is good game management.

Having said all that...I don't think anyone here is saying to give every coach one warning before you whack em' for unsporting behavior...use your judgement, that's part of the gray area in officiating.
I'd be willing to bet if that official that whacked the coach for unsporting behavior worked for JR...the official would be backed by JR all the way.

[/B][/QUOTE]Exactly, Dude.

Just take care of each situation that comes up with what you feel is the most appropriate way to deal with that particular situation. But if you DO feel it's necessary to tell a coach or player "That's enough!", mean it. If you don't mean it, they'll figure it out in a hurry and all you'll be getting is instant replay again over the same call.

My point was that if you're not gonna follow through on a warning, then there's no use warning in the first place.