View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

I wanted to tell everyone that I learned last night the benefit of a good pre-game conference with your partners. I did a varsity game with two very experienced referees in our association (one is our association president). I asked them if we could review some things (this is my second year of doing varisty games). They both were more than willing to discuss how we would call the game and we reviewed certain situations. Three things that happened in the game showed me that the pre-game with your partners is crucial:

1) The home team had a center that is about 6'8". At one point he attempted to block a shot and hit his hand against the backboard. We called nothing since it was not an intentional slap of the board. This was something we specifically discussed before the game since we knew there were a couple of tall players in the game.

2) We had a team control foul in the third quarter. Unfortunately the visiting coach had never heard of the new rule and earned a technical from one of my partners for acting like a maniac because he did not get a one and one. What I though was good about it was, once again, we talked it through in pre-game so when it happened on the court we did not need to come together and discuss it or even look at each other, we just continued play.

3) At one point I was T and the L and I had a double whistle on a drive to the basket. We made eye contact and I was waiting for him to take it but he just stood there. I finally went over to him and told him to take it. He said "no, it came from your primary. Remember, we talked about this before the game". Well, by that time I forgot who fouled so I told him and he simply said "#14". There were no dumb looks from him, just a helpful partner.

Anyway, I was very glad we did the pre-game and I will continue to do one before each game I do. Also, there have been a few threads here recently about experienced veterans not wanting to help new referees. I also wanted to tell everyone that these two guys last night were absolutely outstanding and professional and, overall, I think we did a pretty good job as a team.