The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Without question (for me) its a technical on a coach.

I'd rather wave off a full court winning shot at the buzzer from a kid that the Gym's named after than T a coach.

Court confidence comes from rules. Black and white. You walked or not. You were out of bounds or not, foul or not. The rule book is full of wording on advantage, what-to-do's, verticality, ball control descriptions - all to help us make the right call, in our educated judgment and unbiased powers or observation.

Our Region really tightened up the coach's box this year. Enforcement is on and the squawking, moaning, challenging so far has been noticeable - and I'm faced with my most dreaded rule to enforce - T-ing a coach.

Nothing makes my game concentration sway like asking myself after a bench encounter - "should I have "t'd" them". Need advise.

Rule book simply says the coach shall not "Disrespectfully address an official.". Webster’s says Disrespect is: Lack of respect, esteem, or courteous regard.

What does that mean on the basketball court - the objective , black/white world?

I'm looking for specific tolerances, phrases, actions, to make the dreaded T a reality when implied by rule – under the responsibility have. Tired of second guessing when.

There are so many variables. quality of player, referee, coach skills, closeness, not so closeness of the game, missed call’s, tough calls, crowd behavior, rivalry game, partners comments, etc.

Is there objective guidelines in the very subjective definition of "disrespecting an official?"

Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Lots of officials can call fouls and violations. It's dealing with people that separates the good from the great. There is no specific answer to your question. No two coaches have the exact same personality. Each official has skills (or lack thereof) and certain styles in dealing with coaches. Experience will teach you what works best for you.

One thing I will say though is that managing the coaching box isn't just about T'ing a coach. If you are managing the box (instead of ignoring them until they are 8-feet out and jumping up and down), you can often head off problems before they occur. There are many subtle things you can do (waving them back, a "knowing look" etc.) to let them know that they are pushing the limits of bench decorum. If you can't learn to ref the bench area at the same time you are reffing the 84-feet of court, you will have problems.

Count to ten before you call A T. Then whack them. It's nothing personal. It's just a call that needs to be made once in a while to maintain coach control and then you move on without holding a grudge.

Z
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'll throw in a few comments, fwiw. For every person, the line is different. There are a few absolutes that we all can agree upon, for example, "That call was f*ckin' horrible - you guys f*uckin' stink!" (Even if it might be true that night.) But what might trip my trigger might not be the same that trips yours. It might also change from night to night, and from beginning of game to the end, depending on the situation. I know that's not what you're looking for. But, maybe put it in these terms: how would you communicate with the person in your life you most respect and admire? For example, your minister/priest/rabbi, or your elderly grandmother, or your boss? If you feel a coach is using words, gestures, actions that you wouldn't use while talking to your grandmother, then it may be inappropriate enough to warrant a T. Another benchmark I sometimes use is if I wonder afterwards if I should've given the T, then I probably should have.

Z included a good comment as well - sometimes it's all about managing people. If you can talk them out of the actions or words, then so much the better.

Just remember a T is just another call in the game. You're not afraid to call a travel or foul, right? So you shouldn't need to be afraid to call the T if it's warranted.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

refdaddy, One thing to keep in mind is that giving a coach a T isn't a personal thing towards him/her (unless you make it that way!)You're just enforcing the rules. If they make it personal or make gestures or comments that are personal towards you, then they have already crossed the line, anyway. Try to be dispassionate when you give a T. Don't throw a huge arm swing motion where you hit your hands together hard enough to almost break your fingers. Don't make a vocal production of it. Don't do it in an atagonzing way. I worked a soccer game with a guy who I knew was trying to "bait" the visiting coach into an argument so he could card him. If a T is deserved, call it, report it, and go on with the game.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

If it's language of a profane nature, it's automatic.

If it's over the top in voice level and gesturing and it is clearly directed at the officials, it is automatic.

If they are on the court, it's automatic.

If they are outside the box and it is directed at the officials, it's automatic.

If they have already been given the stop sign, it is automatic.

If they are distracting you away from the game it is a warning. Mine has a visual stop sign and the words,"I've heard enough coach."

I never feel obligated to respond to statements, I have even used, "It's like Jeopardy coach, I need it in the form of a question." Use humor with care.

Most coaches want to be heard. Work on short phrases that quickly acknowledge their problem. Don't say anything you are not 100% sure of, and can back up if needed.

Keep in mind that those are my automatics and everyone's line will be different. That may sound like I am giving out T after T, but if you work on what I said in the preceding paragraph, those cases are very few and far between.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Lots of good advice given already.

The biggest thing for me was coming to the realization that a "T" is just another call, as M&M said.

Being proactive is ideal, but sometimes it just doesn't work - that's when you need to draw the line and then fairly but firmly enforce it.

The officials' must be the calm voice of reason in an otherwise chaotic world. As refnrev said, be calm and dispassionate when giving the T - don't let yourself get caught up in the emotions of the situation......its just another call....
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Something else to think about...

I also usually try to avoid T's, but this year I've heard something that will shift my perspective this year. It's a decent line to draw.

Is the coach doing/saying something that you could not do/say to the coach without consequences? If a coach tripped my anger and I said "You're pathetic!"...what would happen to me if my assignor found out? Yup...I'd be in deep. What if I gestured inappropriately? What if I said "You're terrible! you don't deserve to be coaching!" What if I encouraged the crowd to heap abuse upon him/her?

I can't get away with doing any of those things. The coach can't either. I think it's a decent question.

I called two last year...one coach was on the floor, and the other's persistent chirping was getting under my skin...so I gave him a warning, gave him a T when he didn't heed it, and he shut up...made my life easier.

I'll work on the box this year...try to nip it in the bud early. If we all enforce it, it'll be old hat soon.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

The box is only an issue if you let it become one.

Some coaches have no idea where they are at, and with them a quick, "Where are you at coach," on the way by usually snaps them back into awareness.

If it continues, it needs to become, "Coach I need you to stay in the coach's box," again in passing and without drawing a lot of attention to it.

Now the coach that is out of the box and not coaching, is another matter. If they are out and yelling, the coach's box is no longer an issue for that coach.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

We got the word at our rules meeting that our state HS association wants us to crack down on abuse of the coaching box privileges by coaches - part of the emphasis on bench decorum.

Basically:
1. First time they clearly violate the box they get a verbal warning
3. 2nd time they get a "T" and lose use of the box.

It was also made crystal clear that the coaching box is for coaching only. Any yelling, arguing, etc. is not appropriate use & should be penalized.

The coaches all know this as it was clearly stated at their mandatory rules meeting.....I can see the selective memory issues now - could get real interesting!

I already put the Verbal Judo book on my Christmas wish list......might come in handy!
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

We were also told that of we didn't enforcing the coaching box rule that the NFHS was seriously going to consider getting rid of them.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

In my FEEBLE opinion, here are a few tips when it comes to tech fouls:

1. If it is a comment directed at the call let it go (that stinks) if it is directed at the officals it is a T (YOU stink)

2. Fore repeatedly niggling at you give them a warning, then T them up

3. Have a pre-game conference that involves the coaches. Ask questions like "is there anything you'd like us to focus on?" This gives the coaches the feel that they can have some input to how the game is officiated.

4. Be willing to explain your calls/interpretations - Either on the run, between quarters or after a game.

Finally one last tip - when a coach has really lost it and is abusing you, just remember that they aren't abusing YOU, they are abusing the ref. You just happen to be the ref.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 08:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee

3. Have a pre-game conference that involves the coaches. Ask questions like "is there anything you'd like us to focus on?" This gives the coaches the feel that they can have some input to how the game is officiated.

You let coaches tell you how to call a game?

"Alright, refs, we don't want palming called tonight. Go easy on the hand-checking too. We both want our teams to be allowed to do that"

Helluva idea. Somehow, though, I don't really think that I'd try that one personally. Or recommend it to anyone either. I kinda like to surprise the coaches.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

You let coaches tell you how to call a game?

"Alright, refs, we don't want palming called tonight. Go easy on the hand-checking too. We both want our teams to be allowed to do that"

Helluva idea. Somehow, though, I don't really think that I'd try that one personally. Or recommend it to anyone either. I kinda like to surprise the coaches.
That's not really what I meant. More like ask them if there is anything that they are concerned about. For instance a coach that I ref regularly has a centre that is a lot bigger than most of his opposition. He always complains that the D gets away with hitting him a lot and simply asks that we keep an eye on it.

Most coaches have pet areas that they feel are poorly officiated. By letting them voice this before the game they are less likely to whinge about it during a game (IMHO).

Obviously whether you take any notice of their comments is completely up to you.....

Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my FEEBLE opinion, here are a few tips when it comes to tech fouls:

1. If it is a comment directed at the call let it go (that stinks) if it is directed at the officals it is a T (YOU stink)

2. Fore repeatedly niggling at you give them a warning, then T them up

4. Be willing to explain your calls/interpretations - Either on the run, between quarters or after a game.

Finally one last tip - when a coach has really lost it and is abusing you, just remember that they aren't abusing YOU, they are abusing the ref. You just happen to be the ref.
I really disagree with number 3.

All it does is open you up for trouble. You will here, "I thought you were going to look for that, " or "That is not the way you said you were going to call it."

Coaches already think they have input into how the game is being called. If not how do you explain "working" the officials?

Also try to never discuss calls with coaches after the game, almost no good can come from it.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Also try to never discuss calls with coaches after the game, almost no good can come from it. [/B]
I agree - but it can be advantageous to explain interpretations with coaches after a game. Obviously this should be done with caution and depends on the exact circumstance, and your relationship with the coach.