The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Scores in Wrong Basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23311-scores-wrong-basket.html)

rfp Wed Nov 23, 2005 08:35am

Scores in Wrong Basket

Girl gets confused and shoots and scores in the other team's basket. Points obviously go to the team into whose basket the ball went, but after the ball goes in, do you blow the whistle and award the ball to the the team of the confused girl? Or no whistle, let them figure out what happened and play on?

When this happened last weekened, I blew the whistle because after it happened there was a lot of confusion. Told the scorer to count the basket for the correct team and then in-bounded to the confused girl's team while getting everyone re-oriented.

Thinking about it later, I'm not sure I should have blown the whistle since there was no violation or foul. Whistle or no whistle?

ChuckElias Wed Nov 23, 2005 08:37am

If there's significant confusion (for instance, the wrong team tries to inbound the ball), then the whistle is fine. Get it straightened out. If it seems that they have it figured out already, then no need for the whistle. Sounds like you handled it fine.

crazy voyager Wed Nov 23, 2005 08:38am

blow the whistle, show two points, then depending on wheter or not the score keeper know the rules, check that he's entering the opponents captain as scorer, then administer the ball at the baseline as usuall.

Exception (in fiba anyway): all scores in the own basket made ON PURPOSE is called as violations and are not to be given any points for.

jritchie Wed Nov 23, 2005 08:50am

Quote:

[i]check that he's entering the opponents captain as scorer, then administer the ball at the baseline as usuall.

[/B]
Why does the captain get the points????

IREFU2 Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:28am

I dont think anyone is awarded credit for the goal. Clear up the confusion, get everyone going in the right way and play on. See rule 5-2-1 I believe.

ChuckElias Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:36am

Guys, Voyager (may I call you V'ger?) uses FIBA rules. I'd be willing to bet that this is one of those differences between FED/NCAA and FIBA.

Badger05 Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:37am

The points are awarded to the team who's basket they were scored in. The shooter is not credited with the points but a footnote is made refrencing that info.

M&M Guy Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by jritchie
Quote:

check that he's entering the opponents captain as scorer, then administer the ball at the baseline as usuall.

Why does the captain get the points????
[/B]
Remember, crazy voyager usually references FIBA rules. I would assume it's just a method to keep track of the points. Now, whether or not that's a FEEBLE excuse is a whole other discussion... ;)

JugglingReferee Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:39am

What's this?

A post with a FIBA ruling and no BBR to tell us that it's FEEBLE? :rolleyes:

Badger05 Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:48am

Oops, sorry I have never looked at an FIBA rulebook and I didn't pick up on that in the thread.

Oz Referee Wed Nov 23, 2005 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Guys, Voyager (may I call you V'ger?) uses FIBA rules. I'd be willing to bet that this is one of those differences between FED/NCAA and FIBA.
Chuck, as usual you are right! And to expand on the previous post, if a team repeatedly scores in the wrong basket on purpose a technical foul is issued for unsportsmanlike conduct - only seen it happen once though!

lukealex Wed Nov 23, 2005 04:13pm

On the topic of a basket scored in the wrong basket...what is the procedure for this happening at the beginning of the game, i.e. right after the tip?

I think it is a correctable error but who gets the points, who gets the ball afterwards?

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 23, 2005 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by lukealex
On the topic of a basket scored in the wrong basket...what is the procedure for this happening at the beginning of the game, i.e. right after the tip?

I think it is a correctable error but who gets the points, who gets the ball afterwards?

Case book play 5.2.3 is close enough. That one is a player going the wrong way at the start of the second half.

Legal goal. Two points to the other team. End-line throw-in to the team that scored in the wrong basket.

Snake~eyes Wed Nov 23, 2005 04:21pm

I'm no scorekeeper but I thought this is a foot note?

Anyhow when this has happened to me, I kill it. Score the basket, let the teams know which way they're going, and give it to the SAME team for a throw-in. Don't let the other team throw the ball in - I can see that mistake coming.

Ref Daddy Wed Nov 23, 2005 05:58pm

I understand the player NEAREST to the inaccurate shooter get the points.