Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 06:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
... that school should get this settled with the state office and that way they will have the same peramiters(sp)...
WARNING: This post contains ranting and raving which some readers may find offensive. If you prefer to avoid ranting and raving situations, please use your back button to return to the bulletin board and find a less emotional post.

Chris -- The spelling is either "parameter" or "perimeter" depending on what you're trying to say. I hope you're saying "perimeter" which has to do with limits and boundaries, but I fear you were intending to say "parameters" which is what most people say with this meaning. Unfortunately, a parameter is a specific type of item in a mathematical or scientific equation, and doesn't mean edges, limits or boundaries, except in certain very restricted meanings. One hears it more and more, though, with the meaning of "limits, boundaries, restrictions." "Perimeter" -- the edge of a geometrical figure -- has a much closer definition and would fit your sentence much better. So please tell me that is what you were trying to spell!

Thanks.

End rant. You may now return to your regularly scheduled bulletin board.
Since were off on a tangent....

Juulie, I actually think parameter can be applicable. Parameters are the terms under which something functions.

Perimiters are just about the edges, not the space enclosed by the perimeter.

Please note that the above was a weak attempt at humor. There's no need to go all MTD Sr. on me.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
... that school should get this settled with the state office and that way they will have the same peramiters(sp)...
WARNING: This post contains ranting and raving which some readers may find offensive. If you prefer to avoid ranting and raving situations, please use your back button to return to the bulletin board and find a less emotional post.

Chris -- The spelling is either "parameter" or "perimeter" depending on what you're trying to say. I hope you're saying "perimeter" which has to do with limits and boundaries, but I fear you were intending to say "parameters" which is what most people say with this meaning. Unfortunately, a parameter is a specific type of item in a mathematical or scientific equation, and doesn't mean edges, limits or boundaries, except in certain very restricted meanings. One hears it more and more, though, with the meaning of "limits, boundaries, restrictions." "Perimeter" -- the edge of a geometrical figure -- has a much closer definition and would fit your sentence much better. So please tell me that is what you were trying to spell!

Thanks.

Juulie, I actually think parameter can be applicable. Parameters are the terms under which something functions.

Please note that the above was a weak attempt at humor. There's no need to go all MTD Sr. on me.
Hey, that's a map of my house!!!
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

This reminds me of one of my fayvorite stories

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Hey, that's a map of my house!!!
I had an all deaf team in their 20's - most of them could hear the whistle, so that helped. Most of them were pretty skillful - but not the bruiser in the middle. I fouled him out, and, while leaving the floor he was gesticulating at me and making noises directed at me. I said - and I had been told the team could all read lips - "That's enough". And he said "Eff you"., clearly enough that I could read HIS lips. I teed him up . . .