The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Sit. 4 me - Deaf Player (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23209-new-sit-4-me-deaf-player.html)

Ref Daddy Wed Nov 16, 2005 03:08pm

Girls HS JV earlier in the week. Coach approach's me and partner at table. Announces she has a total deaf player in uniform. In addition - the school has provided a "signer" -a person familiar with sign language that will communicate to the player throughout the game. Asked if this would be a problem.

Coach went so far as to ask if the signer could wander the sideline base line to base line.

What we did:
We had a quick coach's conference. Identifed the player and the signer to the opposing coach. I asked the signer to choose - if you really want to run the total sideline - would you mind doing it opposite the bench's. If you stay only in the players bench area - you can stay on the bench side. i didn't want her wondering over to the opposing bench during play. During captains meeting we told captains about the situation - about the "stranger" that would be authorized to wonder the sidelines.

BTW, I think signer ran the sideline just once and then went bench side (!).

Worked out very well. Kid was pretty good too.

Any thoughts?

bob jenkins Wed Nov 16, 2005 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Girls HS JV earlier in the week. Coach approach's me and partner at table. Announces she has a total deaf player in uniform. In addition - the school has provided a "signer" -a person familiar with sign language that will communicate to the player throughout the game. Asked if this would be a problem.

Coach went so far as to ask if the signer could wander the sideline base line to base line.

What we did:
We had a quick coach's conference. Identifed the player and the signer to the opposing coach. I asked the signer to choose - if you really want to run the total sideline - would you mind doing it opposite the bench's. If you stay only in the players bench area - you can stay on the bench side. i didn't want her wondering over to the opposing bench during play. During captains meeting we told captains about the situation - about the "stranger" that would be authorized to wonder the sidelines.

BTW, I think signer ran the sideline just once and then went bench side (!).

Worked out very well. Kid was pretty good too.

Any thoughts?

I'd treat the signer as any other coach -- stay seated except during a TO, etc.

Junker Wed Nov 16, 2005 03:14pm

Sounds like you handled it well. I'd probably approach it the same way. As long as the coaches are OK with things, do what you need to for the kid to play. You might want the AD from that school to contact the state association and maybe get a letter from them telling what accomodations referees are to make at games. The coach could take it along and present it before games so the officials know how this is to be handled. Just a suggestion.

tjones1 Wed Nov 16, 2005 03:22pm

I agree with Bob, by rule. I agree with Junker in that if another way were to be permitted, a letter from the state association would be needed.

JRutledge Wed Nov 16, 2005 03:40pm

I would go a little further than what Bob says, I would allow the coach to stand if the coach is giving sign language and not giving other instructions to other players.

I lived went to school in Missouri for one year and we played against the Missouri School of the Deaf twice a year because they were in our conference. It was a little strange at first when we would play them because you did not hear the same kind of chatter between teammates, but after a few minutes you did not even notice it. They were a lot of fun to deal with and I learned a lot about what they had to go through and how normal they seemed. I was better for the experience.

I would think common sense rules the day on this issue. Do whatever you can to make this player become normal in the situation. If the coach has to stand up, and give instructions, I would allow the signer to stand and give instructions. Unless they could come up with a way that would not be a concern and the “coach” would remain seated. Just my two cents on this issue.

Peace

BktBallRef Wed Nov 16, 2005 04:44pm

I had my first totally deaf player last night. She comes to the table, shirt tail hanging out. I wave the opposing sub in and tell her to stay. She runs onto the floor. "Come back, 21!" No response. I hit the whistle and call to her again.

"She's deaf."

Then why in the hell didn't somebody tell us that before the game. :mad:

I'm just glad I didn't T her for running onto the floor, unbeckoned.

After the game, Coach asked if if he thought the signer could stand. I talked to the assignor this morning. He said no but possibly have her sit separately between the end of the bench and the table. But no standing.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 16, 2005 04:50pm

I'd let the signer stand in the team's bench area. For signing to be of any use, the player would have to take their eyes off the court and there could be no possible advantage not intended by the rules: coaches are permitted to communicate with their players. In this case, the player needs and interpreter. The signer would not be permitted any other rights.

ChuckElias Wed Nov 16, 2005 05:05pm

Why not just have the signer stand one row up in the bleachers?

blindzebra Wed Nov 16, 2005 06:06pm

I think the signer is an assistant coach and should be treated as such.

Also something to keep in mind is when you have a deaf player or team, it is really important to remind the opposing team during the coaches/captains meeting to stop on the whistle, because the deaf player is working off visual clues. If the hearing players continue playing so will the deaf players, and that can lead to trouble.

I once worked a game between two deaf teams and my partner and I were the only non-deaf people involved with the game. It made for a great experience and we really had to focus on our mechanics.

mick Wed Nov 16, 2005 06:20pm

Like bob said.

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
The signer is coaching and in order to pass along the head coach's instructions she should be more available to coach speak than a fan would be.

I officiated with a single deaf athlete in the past and although I was told there would be a signer, the signer remained in the bench area and seated. The athlete was, perhaps, a 1/2 second late on the whistle, but she was quite aware of the entire game surroundings. ...A fine point guard on a very good team.

mick

ChuckElias Wed Nov 16, 2005 06:23pm

Re: Like bob said.

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

The signer is coaching

Isn't the signer merely translating? :confused:

mick Wed Nov 16, 2005 06:30pm

Re: Re: Like bob said.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

The signer is coaching

Isn't the signer merely translating? :confused:

How do I know ? :eek:

JRutledge Wed Nov 16, 2005 06:55pm

I gave my opinion on what to do is a personal issue. I really do not see a right or wrong here. I might even change my mind when faced with the situation for real and I see the reaction of the opposing coach. I just feel as officials should do whatever we can to accommodate to players with a hearing loss. I know in football I have had to deal with similar player issues and we did what we could to help out those players.

Peace

BktBallRef Wed Nov 16, 2005 06:56pm

Quote:

I wouldn't have a problem with that but I don't think he/she should be allowed to stand in the bench area.

deecee Wed Nov 16, 2005 07:13pm

so you wouldn't

let the signer stand by the bench area because that disrupts the game how? I dont see how having the signer in the stands helps -- what if the fans are actually standing and cheering -- how will said player see him/her and how in the hell will the signer hear the coach when all she can see is the back of his head? I would tell the signer to move where ever she needs to to get her message to the player as long as she does not interrupt the game or bother the other team or table.

Have the signer stay seated and if the coach is standing and giving instructions and not paying attention and hes infront of him/her the poor kid cant see -- talk about being overly judicious -- there is not deaf section of the rule book so just use common sense and let this kid with a disadvantage have every possible chance to play fairly with the rest of the kids. Sit in the stands -- pfft ridiculous --