The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The Official Book (or not) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23202-official-book-not.html)

FrankHtown Wed Nov 16, 2005 08:51am

Girl's varsity game. Home scorer was a member of the JV... yakking on phone, not paying attention, etc. The visitors had an adult scorer....very attentive, etc. I don't have my rule book handy, but is the referee allowed to declare the visitor's book official, or do we just remove the home team's scorer, and replace?

You have to figure if the JV girl was the most qualified, I'd hate to think what the next choice was.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Nov 16, 2005 08:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by FrankHtown
Girl's varsity game. Home scorer was a member of the JV... yakking on phone, not paying attention, etc. The visitors had an adult scorer....very attentive, etc. I don't have my rule book handy, but is the referee allowed to declare the visitor's book official, or do we just remove the home team's scorer, and replace?

You have to figure if the JV girl was the most qualified, I'd hate to think what the next choice was.

I would have a quick talk with her at the next dead ball. "Maam, please power that phone off til the end of the game".

Might also say something to site management if nothing changes.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 16, 2005 09:13am

Quote:

Yes, the referee can designate the official book. See 2-4-3 and 2-11-11 (next-to-last sentence)

IREFU2 Wed Nov 16, 2005 09:25am

Quote:

You could have her replaced if she doesnt comply.

rainmaker Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Yes, the referee can designate the official book. See 2-4-3 and 2-11-11 (next-to-last sentence)

I've done it once. Home book was busy with boyfriend. Very busy!

Visitor did a great job.

BayStateRef Wed Nov 16, 2005 01:29pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:

I had a problem with the official scorer acting too much like a fan -- cheering, complaining about every call against the home team, etc. When I went looking for the athletic director to replace the scorer, I found out he was at the table -- keeping score.

My partner and I talked to the "entire table" before the second half, reminding them that they were part of the officiating crew and that they needed to act that way. The AD winked at us for that tactic -- and we had no problem with him in the second half.

ref18 Wed Nov 16, 2005 04:10pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BayStateRef
Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:

I had a problem with the official scorer acting too much like a fan -- cheering, complaining about every call against the home team, etc. When I went looking for the athletic director to replace the scorer, I found out he was at the table -- keeping score.

My partner and I talked to the "entire table" before the second half, reminding them that they were part of the officiating crew and that they needed to act that way. The AD winked at us for that tactic -- and we had no problem with him in the second half.
Just because he's the AD doesn't mean you can't fire his ***. :D