The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Jim I understand

Jim,
I understand and I already pointed out that things should be common sense, however, I am looking for more of a written word answer or sure as you are born someone somewhere will take this thing too literally and call it this way....I wouldn't have even brought it up, but it was actually brought up to one of our veteran officials......
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

I just don't see how this is really an issue. The only time I've ever called it is when an offensive player had the ball in the lane and was getting close to a 3 second violation and they passed the ball and stepped OOB to avoid the violation.

If the offense is screening and the defender runs around the screen, I'm not blowing the violation until I'm sure the offense is not completing the play.

I do see where it could be an issue and that is on a throw in where the thrower's team sets a screen to free a player up. If that player runs OOB around the screen, then that's an immediate whistle.

Mregor
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

We get paid the big bucks to make decisions and use our judgement. I think too often we make the rule too hard when its not.

You know when someone runs OOB for an unauthorized reason. You just do. You may not even pick it up the first time a team does it but you will notice it gain and get it.

Dont let the fact that there is not a list out there. If there were a list you might limit your self too it and then when there is another one we need to have the rule committee add something to the list.

Basketball is a game of judgement.