The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 12:29am
We don't rent pigs

True or false: Holding or moving a hand or hands in front of the face of a player who has the ball, by an opponent who is in a legal guarding position, constitutes unsporting tactics and is illegal.

I kinda get a conflict from rulebook and casebook on this.
10.3.7 says yes it is, but 10-3-7 specifically mentions purposely obstructing vision by placing hand(s) near the eyes.

I said false, my partner said true. I hereby use a lifeline and poll the audience.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 03:27am
Never Stop Learning

I've got to go with true. Almost word for word from the case book. One says face and the other says eyes.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 06:19am
In Memoriam

From the 2004-05 Rulebook when they expanded the "face guarding" rule:

POE 4A- FACE GUARDING- "Face guarding is defined in rule 10-3-7d as purposely obstructing an opponent's vision by waving or placing hands(s) near his or her eyes......The committee does not intend for good defense to be penalized. Challenging a shooter with a 'hand in the face' or fronting a post player with a hand in the air are examples of acceptable actions."
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
True or false: Holding or moving a hand or hands in front of the face of a player who has the ball, by an opponent who is in a legal guarding position, constitutes unsporting tactics and is illegal.

10.3.7 says yes it is, but 10-3-7 specifically mentions purposely obstructing vision by placing hand(s) near the eyes.

I said false, my partner said true. I hereby use a lifeline and poll the audience.
Isn't this one of the FED PArt 1 questions? I think the question is testing to see whether the respondent remembers the rule change from last year -- it's now a T to "face guard" the player who has the ball, not just the player without the ball.

Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 10:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref

Isn't this one of the FED PArt 1 questions? I think the question is testing to see whether the respondent remembers the rule change from last year -- it's now a T to "face guard" the player who has the ball, not just the player without the ball.

Not quite....

FED Pt.1--#72 is "Is it a technical foul for a player to purposely obstruct the vision of an opponent with the ball"

Your reasoning certainly is right for that question. Different concept in t'other question though methinks.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 12:48am
We don't rent pigs

Uncertainty here as well. My partner and I had 10 questions that we answered differently. When I went to the books to check I thought he had 6 of these right and I had 4. Our scores came back saying we missed the same number and this is the only question that I had any doubt about when I rechecked. So apparently either this question was false or somebody (one of us or whoever scored the test) made a mistake somewhere.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 08:24am
M.A.S.H.

Looks like #72 might be what you're talking about. 10-3-7d ... F