The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Test question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23102-test-question.html)

just another ref Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:29am

True or false: Holding or moving a hand or hands in front of the face of a player who has the ball, by an opponent who is in a legal guarding position, constitutes unsporting tactics and is illegal.

I kinda get a conflict from rulebook and casebook on this.
10.3.7 says yes it is, but 10-3-7 specifically mentions purposely obstructing vision by placing hand(s) near the eyes.

I said false, my partner said true. I hereby use a lifeline and poll the audience.

Ed Maeder Wed Nov 09, 2005 03:27am

I've got to go with true. Almost word for word from the case book. One says face and the other says eyes.

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 09, 2005 06:19am

From the 2004-05 Rulebook when they expanded the "face guarding" rule:

<b>POE 4A- FACE GUARDING</b>- "Face guarding is defined in rule 10-3-7d as purposely obstructing an opponent's vision by waving or placing hands(s) near his or her <b>eyes</b>......The committee does <b>not</b> intend for good defense to be penalized. Challenging a shooter with a 'hand in the <b>face</b>' or fronting a post player with a hand in the air are examples of <b>acceptable</b> actions."

bob jenkins Wed Nov 09, 2005 08:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by just another ref
True or false: Holding or moving a hand or hands in front of the face of a player who has the ball, by an opponent who is in a legal guarding position, constitutes unsporting tactics and is illegal.

10.3.7 says yes it is, but 10-3-7 specifically mentions purposely obstructing vision by placing hand(s) near the eyes.

I said false, my partner said true. I hereby use a lifeline and poll the audience.

Isn't this one of the FED PArt 1 questions? I think the question is testing to see whether the respondent remembers the rule change from last year -- it's now a T to "face guard" the player who has the ball, not just the player without the ball.

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Originally posted by just another ref

Isn't this one of the FED PArt 1 questions? I think the question is testing to see whether the respondent remembers the rule change from last year -- it's now a T to "face guard" the player who has the ball, not just the player without the ball.

Not quite....

FED Pt.1--#72 is "Is it a technical foul for a player to purposely obstruct the vision of an <b>opponent</b> with the ball"

Your reasoning certainly is right for that question. Different concept in t'other question though methinks.

just another ref Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:48am

Uncertainty here as well. My partner and I had 10 questions that we answered differently. When I went to the books to check I thought he had 6 of these right and I had 4. Our scores came back saying we missed the same number and this is the only question that I had any doubt about when I rechecked. So apparently either this question was false or somebody (one of us or whoever scored the test) made a mistake somewhere.

tjones1 Thu Nov 10, 2005 08:24am

Looks like #72 might be what you're talking about. 10-3-7d ... F