The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

I searched the books high and low and I am 100% sure of this rule but my partner yesterday swore he was right. Where in the casebook is this example so i can show him.

jump ball A tips it OOB -- He gives B the ball and the arrow and said it was a controlled tip...by then my jaw hit the floor and I began T'ing up everyone...but all jokes aside i told him B ball arrow to A and he disagreed...
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

6.4.1.C and E.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Control a tip? Arent very many of these.

If the team had clearly caught the ball and then did something else to violate( beside the violation simultanueos with the end of the jump) or threw ball away this would be correct but A tips it OOB...
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
it was a controlled tip....
The "controlled tip" is just as much a myth as "can't catch your own airball". There's no such thing in the rulebook as a controlled tip (or tap, or bat). To have control, a player must be holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. That's it, that's the only way to have player control.

So unless the jumper caught the ball before throwing OOB (which would've been a violation before the ball ever got OOB), the jumper's team should've gotten the arrow.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

thanks

Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
So unless the jumper caught the ball before throwing OOB (which would've been a violation before the ball ever got OOB), the jumper's team should've gotten the arrow.
Even if the jumper caught the ball...his team would still get the arrow. (The opposing team would get the throw-in because of the violation.)

I'm sure you know that Chuck...but, the unless might have been confusing to some.
Richland, WA
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Even if the jumper caught the ball...his team would still get the arrow. (The opposing team would get the throw-in because of the violation.)

I'm sure you know that Chuck...but, the unless might have been confusing to some.
Excellent point, Rook. I should've said, "unless he caught the ball, it's simply an OOB violation." The arrow was irrelevant to the type of violation.

Good catch. Thanks.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
I searched the books high and low and I am 100% sure of this rule but my partner yesterday swore he was right. Where in the casebook is this example so i can show him.

jump ball A tips it OOB -- He gives B the ball and the arrow and said it was a controlled tip...by then my jaw hit the floor and I began T'ing up everyone...but all jokes aside i told him B ball arrow to A and he disagreed...
Rejump?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

absolutly not

a rejump -- only a rejump if we couldnt tell who clearly hit the ball -- but if its unquestionable then the team that hit the ball out of bounds gets the arrow and the other team gets the ball.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: absolutly not

Quote:
a rejump -- only a rejump if we couldnt tell who clearly hit the ball
And in that case, the two people who caused it go OOB simultaneously do the rejump.

A1 and B1 legally tap the jump ball. Before either team gains control of the ball, A2 and B2 touch the ball simultaneously and the ball goes OOB. The officials cannot determine who touched the ball last. RULING: A2 and B2 will be the designated jumpers for a jump ball in the center circle.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: absolutly not

Quote:
Quote:
a rejump -- only a rejump if we couldnt tell who clearly hit the ball
And in that case, the two people who caused it go OOB simultaneously do the rejump.

A1 and B1 legally tap the jump ball. Before either team gains control of the ball, A2 and B2 touch the ball simultaneously and the ball goes OOB. The officials cannot determine who touched the ball last. RULING: A2 and B2 will be the designated jumpers for a jump ball in the center circle.
That would also be the case if A2 and B2 have a held ball, before either team gains possession.

If I'm reading the note correctly for 6-4, A2 and B2 would also re-jump if they commit a double foul prior to player/team control.

[Edited by blindzebra on Nov 7th, 2005 at 03:02 PM]
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

yes

because there has still been no possession established to start the game...
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: yes

Quote:
because there has still been no possession established to start the game...
It does seem strange, and a tad risky, to have two players that just fouled each other re-jump.

That would probably be better handled with a re-jump with the original jumpers.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

player control?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
[B]
Quote:
The "controlled tip" is just as much a myth as "can't catch your own airball". There's no such thing in the rulebook as a controlled tip (or tap, or bat). To have control, a player must be holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. That's it, that's the only way to have player control.

Lets say A1 shoots and ball does not go in and A2 comes in and follow through with a 1 hand tip and comes down on B1 while B1 has legal guarding position. Since A1 never held the ball is A1 consider in player control?

1) So do we have a player control foul on A1 and wave the basket.

2) Since you say that there is no such thing as a controlled tip do we count the basket and call a loose ball foul on A1 and allow B1 to shoot free throws if in the bonus?

3) A1 get foul during the tip in by B1 andbasket is good, so count the basket and give A1 1 free throw or since A1 was not consider in player control award A1 free throws if in the bonus and still count the basket?

I always thought that you can have player control on a try for a goal on a tip or tap.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: player control?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xxssmen
[B]
Quote:
Quote:

Lets say A1 shoots and ball does not go in and A2 comes in and follow through with a 1 hand tip and comes down on B1 while B1 has legal guarding position. Since A1 never held the ball is A1 consider in player control?

1) So do we have a player control foul on A1 and wave the basket.
Yes, because A2 was an airborne shooter, not necessarily because there was player control.

Quote:
2) Since you say that there is no such thing as a controlled tip do we count the basket and call a loose ball foul on A1 and allow B1 to shoot free throws if in the bonus?
You're describing a "Tap" -- a defined term in 4-41, not a "tip" -- an undefined term commonly used to refer to the jumpers touching the jump ball

Quote:
3) A1 get foul during the tip in by B1 andbasket is good, so count the basket and give A1 1 free throw or since A1 was not consider in player control award A1 free throws if in the bonus and still count the basket?
A Tap is considered "in the act of shooting", so count the basket and give one FT.

Quote:
I always thought that you can have player control on a try for a goal on a tip or tap.
You can't have it on a tip or a Tap. If you are judging "player control" during the "Tap" then you are really treating it as a Catch (player control) and a Try. This could make a difference if the play happened in the last .3 seconds.

In the rest of the game, the fact that there's no PC on a Tap does not affect any of the shooting or PC foul issues.