The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Lotto made this comment in another thread, but since it was specifially NCAA-related, I thought I would start a new thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Just as a side note, NCAA does *not* go to POI on double personal fouls. The ball goes back to the team in control at the designated spot nearest the fouls with no reset of the shot clock. (Use AP if there is no team control.)
UNLESS the double foul occurs during a successful try for goal. See AR 25 on pg 152 of the '06 rulebook. What happens when a double foul (not specified as whether it is personal or technical in nature) is called while the try is in the air (no team control) and the try is successful? In an unannounced change, this single line was added to the AR this year:

"Charge the fouls and award the ball to the team not credited with the score at the endline with that team being entitled to run the endline."

Remember that up until last season, this situation was handled differently, depending on whether the double foul was personals or technicals. Double technicals went to the POI, which was the throw-in for the team that was scored on. Double personals went to the arrow, b/c there was no control at the time of the fouls.

This change seems to say that we don't care anymore if it's a double personal or double technical. They both result in a throw-in for the team not credited with the score.

Anybody think I'm reading this wrong?
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
This change seems to say that we don't care anymore if it's a double personal or double technical. They both result in a throw-in for the team not credited with the score.

Anybody think I'm reading this wrong?
I think the A.R. is making an assumption that isn't stated---that the double foul occurs near the basket. If the double foul occurs in a place where the nearest spot is on the sideline, wouldn't you put the ball in play there and not on the endline (and, of course, without any rights to run)? I realize that this wouldn't happen very often...contact would be far enough away from the action that there would not likely be a call there.

However, it's worth remembering that under NCAA rules, double personals and double technicals can result in the ball being put in play in different places. Suppose A1 is dribbling the ball up on the left side near midcourt and A2 and B2 are banging for position on the left block. A2 and B2 are called for a double personal foul. The result would be a throw-in by A at the designated spot near the block. If A2 and B2 were called for a double technical, then one would resume at POI, which would be a throw-in by A at the designated spot on the sideline nearest where A1 was when the foul was called.

In NFHS, we'd have the throw-in on the sideline nearest A1 no matter whether the double foul was personal or technical.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Nobody else thinks this is interesting? Nobody else thinks this is a big deal? Big change? Unannounced? I must be weirder than I thought.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nobody else thinks this is interesting? Nobody else thinks this is a big deal? Big change? Unannounced? I must be weirder than I thought.
I agree with all of the above.

And, while the change wasn't announced, it was highlighted to indicate it was a change.

Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 02:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I do think it's interesting...but it was discussed it at the annual meeting and it seems pretty straight-forward...makes things simpler in my opinion.