View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
This change seems to say that we don't care anymore if it's a double personal or double technical. They both result in a throw-in for the team not credited with the score.

Anybody think I'm reading this wrong?
I think the A.R. is making an assumption that isn't stated---that the double foul occurs near the basket. If the double foul occurs in a place where the nearest spot is on the sideline, wouldn't you put the ball in play there and not on the endline (and, of course, without any rights to run)? I realize that this wouldn't happen very often...contact would be far enough away from the action that there would not likely be a call there.

However, it's worth remembering that under NCAA rules, double personals and double technicals can result in the ball being put in play in different places. Suppose A1 is dribbling the ball up on the left side near midcourt and A2 and B2 are banging for position on the left block. A2 and B2 are called for a double personal foul. The result would be a throw-in by A at the designated spot near the block. If A2 and B2 were called for a double technical, then one would resume at POI, which would be a throw-in by A at the designated spot on the sideline nearest where A1 was when the foul was called.

In NFHS, we'd have the throw-in on the sideline nearest A1 no matter whether the double foul was personal or technical.