The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 12:05am
MPLAHE

Rule 6-4-5 states " the opportunity to make an alternating possession throw-in is lost if the throw-in team violates."

thus, if during the throw-in by team A, player A1 runs out of bounds off of a screen set by A2, does the violation result in the throw-in by B2 at the spot of the violation with the arrow pointed in B's direction and switched to A once the throw-in ends? Or does the arrow simply go over to B without it switching once the throw-in ends?

Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 12:15am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
Rule 6-4-5 states " the opportunity to make an alternating possession throw-in is lost if the throw-in team violates."

thus, if during the throw-in by team A, player A1 runs out of bounds off of a screen set by A2, does the violation result in the throw-in by B2 at the spot of the violation with the arrow pointed in B's direction and switched to A once the throw-in ends? Or does the arrow simply go over to B without it switching once the throw-in ends?

NFHS R6-S4-A5 means that if Team A is attempting an AP Throw-in and commits a throw-in violation (a throw-in violation presumes the fact that the throw-in and not yet ended), then Team B will receive the ball for a throw-in as the penalty against Team A for committing a throw-in violation and the AP Arrow will be reversed toward Team B's basket and Team B will receive the ball for the next AP Throw-in. This is applies to NCAA Men's/Women's game also.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

NFHS R6-S4-A5 means that if Team A is attempting an AP Throw-in and commits a throw-in violation
I assume (yeah, I know) that by "throw-in violation" you mean "a violation of 9-2".

But, what if A commits a violation of 9-3 (out of bounds) or 9-13 (elbows) while the ball is still in the hands of the inbounder during an AP throw-in? Does A lose the arrow? Reference?

The rule (A loses the arrow if A violates during the throw-in) was written when the only violations A could commit during the throw-in were violations of 9-2. In the past several years, those other items have been added as violations. Did the committee intend for A to lose the arrow, or was it an oversight?

Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

NFHS R6-S4-A5 means that if Team A is attempting an AP Throw-in and commits a throw-in violation
I assume (yeah, I know) that by "throw-in violation" you mean "a violation of 9-2".

But, what if A commits a violation of 9-3 (out of bounds) or 9-13 (elbows) while the ball is still in the hands of the inbounder during an AP throw-in? Does A lose the arrow? Reference?

The rule (A loses the arrow if A violates during the throw-in) was written when the only violations A could commit during the throw-in were violations of 9-2. In the past several years, those other items have been added as violations. Did the committee intend for A to lose the arrow, or was it an oversight?

These are all good question, I only want to point out if it's a spot throw-in then A2 violates the throw-in when he runs OOB.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

I believe they intended for them to lose the arrow on any violation.

Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Camron. I think it applies to all violations. This particular play is a violation of 9-2-12. An AP throw-in is by definition a spot throw-in. Therefore, in the original play, the moment the A1 steps oob it is a violation.