The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wrong team gets ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22982-wrong-team-gets-ball.html)

Jim Henry Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:35am

Situation….

Ref gives ball to wrong team (A) after time-out. Player A1 receives in bound pass and scores basket in A’s basket. Easy uncontested lay-up since most players were at the other end of court waiting for Team B to come into front court.

Meanwhile, Coach for Team B is screaming about the mistake and play continues like it would after any basket scored. What should be done? Correctable situation?

rainmaker Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:47am

Once the ball is touched inbounds, it's too late to fix it. You just have to deal with it and move on. It's not a Correctable Error under 2-10. You can take the ball back at any point up to the ball being touched legally inbounds. After that, it's tough. Be sure you call your assignor when you get home, and tell him before coach B does. That shows that you're willing tro own up to your mistakes and learn your lesson.

JohnBark Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:47am

not one of the correctable errors in the rulebook.

Jim Henry Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:54am

Thanks Rainmaker.

You say "You can take the ball back at any point up to the ball being touched legally inbounds." So if the mistake is discovered right away before inbound pass, something CAN be done? Or is it still not correctable?

rainmaker Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Henry
Thanks Rainmaker.

You say "You can take the ball back at any point up to the ball being touched legally inbounds." So if the mistake is discovered right away before inbound pass, something CAN be done? Or is it still not correctable?

Yup, it's still Fixable, (aothough not Correctable in the 2-10 sense).

rainmaker Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:07pm

in your example, the off ref, should have whistled as you handed the ball to the inbounder. However, even up to the point of the throw-in pass, yes you can think, "Wait a minute!!" and take it back.

To prevent this, get in the habit of thinking of the re-start as soon as the to is whistled. Put that into the to routine.

TWEET!! White time out. 30 seconds. White ball oob."

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:16pm

Rainmaker be right as per case book play 7.5.2SitB.

rainmaker Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Whew, that's a relief!

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Whew, that's a relief!

Why?...lol

You had it nailed completely.. rules-wise and procedure-wise...without having to crack a book. Good job. I just looked up the cite for you, in case anybody really cared.

I'm auditioning for "The Apprentice".

ChuckElias Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:49pm

Quote:

You're fired.

rockyroad Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:50pm

Quote:

The Martha Stewart version, right??!!

Dan_ref Wed Nov 02, 2005 01:02pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Whew, that's a relief!

Why?...lol

You had it nailed completely.. rules-wise and procedure-wise...without having to crack a book. Good job. I just looked up the cite for you, in case anybody really cared.

Good luck landing the role of "the doorman"!

Jim Henry Wed Nov 02, 2005 01:33pm

I get it. Fix-able before the WRONG team gets the ball. But not fix-able or correctable after the WRONG team scores the basket. Right?

Rich Wed Nov 02, 2005 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Henry
I get it. Fix-able before the WRONG team gets the ball. But not fix-able or correctable after the WRONG team scores the basket. Right?
I know this answer will displease many, if not most, here, but...

That's right, if you're taking a rules test.

However, in real life, if this happened to me I would take the points off the board, reset the clock if I knew what the clock was supposed to be before the throw-in, apologize to the coaches for being an idiot, and give the ball to the proper team.

Flame away :)

ChuckElias Wed Nov 02, 2005 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Good luck landing the role of "the doorman"!
http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.co...es/carlton.jpg
"Hello, this is Carlton, your doorman."

[Edited by ChuckElias on Nov 2nd, 2005 at 02:20 PM]