The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

If the the search function was working I would have used it but....
Does anyone know of any good links to understanding 3 whistle mechanics??? TIA

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 11:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is one.

IHSA PowerPoint Presentation

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Re: Here is one.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
IHSA PowerPoint Presentation

Peace
I get "File not Found" when I click on the link.

Mregor
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Try this: IHSA power point presentation.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

It's under the official's section of the IHSA site, so you have to be a registered official with the IHSA to log in and view that page.

For those that are registered with the IHSA, log in, and in the left-hand column, under "Resources", click on "Official's Education", and the 3-Person Mechanics is listed there.

Just Curious - I know that doesn't help you if you're not an IHSA official, but do you have access to the Fed. publications? They do show 3-Person in the Official's Manual that gets published every two years. The NCAA also publishes manuals for both men's and women's 3-person mechanics as well; they should be available at places like Honig's, etc.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Rut screwed up the link.

Try this

http://www.ihsa.org/education/three-...-mechanics.ppt
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

What? You mean the IHSA is giving away all this good stuff to people who aren't paying members?

Geesh; that's where all my due are going...

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
What? You mean the IHSA is giving away all this good stuff to people who aren't paying members?

Geesh; that's where all my due are going...
IHSA executive board mid summer beer bash & golf outing I would imagine.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It's under the official's section of the IHSA site, so you have to be a registered official with the IHSA to log in and view that page.

For those that are registered with the IHSA, log in, and in the left-hand column, under "Resources", click on "Official's Education", and the 3-Person Mechanics is listed there.

Just Curious - I know that doesn't help you if you're not an IHSA official, but do you have access to the Fed. publications? They do show 3-Person in the Official's Manual that gets published every two years. The NCAA also publishes manuals for both men's and women's 3-person mechanics as well; they should be available at places like Honig's, etc.
The link is from the Official's Department (which can be accessed the way said as well) directly from the regular website. IHSA officials can access the same information from their person website.

You dues go towards insurance and other services that you would have to pay on your own if you lived in another state. Feel thankful you do not live in a state where you pay a local association and they give you all your games and decide your playoff future. Talk about "ole boy network."

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You dues go towards insurance and other services that you would have to pay on your own if you lived in another state. Feel thankful you do not live in a state where you pay a local association and they give you all your games and decide your playoff future. Talk about "ole boy network."

Peace
Oh, I know the dues actually go for something useful. I guess I'm just feeling crabby on a Monday morning.
I'm so used to accessing the stuff through the official's site; I wasn't aware it was available to general public/peons as well. It's just not as easy to find through the general site.

And, as far as the local associations having a hand in our playoff assignments - in IL they still do, even if it's not as big as in some states. The Top 15 lists that associations prepare still count a percentage of our total score in determining playoff assignments. Granted, it's not as big as it used to be when coaches and schools prepared the lists, but it's still a part.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

And, as far as the local associations having a hand in our playoff assignments - in IL they still do, even if it's not as big as in some states. The Top 15 lists that associations prepare still count a percentage of our total score in determining playoff assignments. Granted, it's not as big as it used to be when coaches and schools prepared the lists, but it's still a part.
The Top 15 list does not choose the assignments, the state administrator does. I know in a couple of situations where my Top 15 list percentile it is very high, it was not associations putting me on their list. In some cases I was not even eligible because I was not a Certified Official. I can tell you I have a higher percentile than some that were actually put on the list.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Top 15 list does not choose the assignments, the state administrator does. I know in a couple of situations where my Top 15 list percentile it is very high, it was not associations putting me on their list. In some cases I was not even eligible because I was not a Certified Official. I can tell you I have a higher percentile than some that were actually put on the list.
Peace
I've found that to be true as well. All I was saying it's counts as a part of the assignment process, even though it's not as big a part as in the past. But apparently some people feel it's still important. Our local association happens to be basketball-only, and I would gladly work with most of the members. We have even discussed in some of our meetings how it doesn't seem fair that our association, with 80 - 90 members, is limited to a Top 15 list, while other associations with much smaller rosters can give the same list of 15. There are even rumors around that some people in other parts of the state have formed small associations of their own, just so they can be on more than one Top 15 list. This does add to your overall score, which can affect how assignments are handed out. It's not the determining factor, but a factor nontheless.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

just curious,

You can order some VHS or DVD's of several different things, three man fundamentals and advanced from officiating.com.

[Edited by refTN on Nov 2nd, 2005 at 12:07 AM]
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kgeorge0263
Thumbs up 3 person website

I am a HS official from South Jersey and also an intramural sports director. You can go to our officials website for training materials.

http://www.rowan.edu/studentaffairs/...sTrainings.htm

Also...I ordered the IAABO Ecourt trainings software and it is excellent (where you can do 2 or 3 person mechanics, shows areas of coverage, lines of responsibility, FT mechanics, etc.). You just have to learn how to move all 10 players, and officials.

http://iaabo.org/Ecourt/AdecourtCom.html

I know that the Louisiana High School Association is very helpful as well as the IHSAA

http://www.lhsaa.org/officials/OfficialsManualsMenu.htm

http://www.cboa.net/rules.html

Rowan University Recreation Center
201 Mullica Hill Road
Glassboro, NJ 08028
856-256-4927
856-256-4428 (FAX)
[email protected]
www.rowan.edu/rec
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink I obviously missed this response.

Quote:

I've found that to be true as well. All I was saying it's counts as a part of the assignment process, even though it's not as big a part as in the past. But apparently some people feel it's still important. Our local association happens to be basketball-only, and I would gladly work with most of the members. We have even discussed in some of our meetings how it doesn't seem fair that our association, with 80 - 90 members, is limited to a Top 15 list, while other associations with much smaller rosters can give the same list of 15. There are even rumors around that some people in other parts of the state have formed small associations of their own, just so they can be on more than one Top 15 list. This does add to your overall score, which can affect how assignments are handed out. It's not the determining factor, but a factor nontheless.
It is true that there have been small associations formed, but it is not easy to just create an association.

You still need to get on more lists than just a couple to have a high percentage. Schools have to put you on their lists as well as assignors. If I belong to 3 associations and I get on the Top 15 list on each group, I still have to have schools at a high rate if I am competing against the rest of the state. Also the smaller groups cannot do not have a Top 15 list if they do not have enough officials in their organization. An organization might only get 5 or 6 picks.

No matter what system is in place there is going to be potential problems in that system. Officials need to worry about the things they can control, not the things they cannot control. Also you are not competing against everyone in the state. You are competing against people in your area. When they send officials to the state tournament, you are going to have to out due those that are in your area. They do not give Regional and Sectional hundreds of miles away.

Peace