View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink I obviously missed this response.

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

I've found that to be true as well. All I was saying it's counts as a part of the assignment process, even though it's not as big a part as in the past. But apparently some people feel it's still important. Our local association happens to be basketball-only, and I would gladly work with most of the members. We have even discussed in some of our meetings how it doesn't seem fair that our association, with 80 - 90 members, is limited to a Top 15 list, while other associations with much smaller rosters can give the same list of 15. There are even rumors around that some people in other parts of the state have formed small associations of their own, just so they can be on more than one Top 15 list. This does add to your overall score, which can affect how assignments are handed out. It's not the determining factor, but a factor nontheless.
It is true that there have been small associations formed, but it is not easy to just create an association.

You still need to get on more lists than just a couple to have a high percentage. Schools have to put you on their lists as well as assignors. If I belong to 3 associations and I get on the Top 15 list on each group, I still have to have schools at a high rate if I am competing against the rest of the state. Also the smaller groups cannot do not have a Top 15 list if they do not have enough officials in their organization. An organization might only get 5 or 6 picks.

No matter what system is in place there is going to be potential problems in that system. Officials need to worry about the things they can control, not the things they cannot control. Also you are not competing against everyone in the state. You are competing against people in your area. When they send officials to the state tournament, you are going to have to out due those that are in your area. They do not give Regional and Sectional hundreds of miles away.

Peace