The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

If one of you referee types would answer this I would greatly appreciate it.

What is an offensive player allowed to do with a forearm/arm-bar (or for that matter, with any part of the body other than using position) in order to "protect the ball"? I play in a (self-ref'd) rec league in Canada (read: an ex-pat from North Carolina playing with a lot of converted hockey players). Forearm use is constant while:

1. dribbling, "holding off" a defender with LGP who is trying to maintain position or making an attempt at a steal - Offensive player will pivot the opposite direction from the defender and extend the forearm to prevent the defender from following

2. going in for layups and "creating space"

3. and recently (hence the post) it has become fashionable to dribble down court on a fast break while leading with the forearm, looking more like a fullback than a pointguard, while under the pretense of "protecting the ball"

Please let me know if I need to elaborate. Most of the guys want to play by the rules, they are just hazy on what the rules actually are, and when there's a question I do my best to clear things up.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Basically, in a refereed game, everything you describe is a player control foul. In a pick-up game ... who knows? Sometimes "local" rules prevail.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by splinter
What is an offensive player allowed to do with a forearm/arm-bar in order to "protect the ball"?
In a word, nothing.

It's not legal for the player with the ball to use a hand/elbow/forearm to prevent a defender from attacking the ball. (FED 4-24-7; NCAA 4-34-5. The NCAA rule doesn't specifically address a defender attacking the ball, but it does say that you can't extend the arm to hinder the normal movement of your opponent.)
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In Federation games, Chuck has it covered. It sounds like you're working under a different set of regs. If they do it consistently, and consistently don't get called, it's probably something you'll just have to adjust to.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I play in a (self-ref'd) rec league in Canada (read: an ex-pat from North Carolina playing with a lot of converted hockey players). Forearm use is constant.....

Based on where you play and the experience of your playmates and if the arm-bar is above the level of the sholder, it is a clear high-sticking, but as a Tarheel making that call you might want to be careful......next thing you know, your jersey is pulled overy your head and you're hollerin'"help me James Naismith...."
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I agree, nothing.
I just last game called a charge for a player using her arm to push her defender away. The coach protested but as quick as the player uses his/her arm to push or move an opponent, or as quick as the hand leaves her "cylinder" he/she commits a foul.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you very much for your help guys. I have to say that the level of play is consistently getting better, especially with the rise of Steve Nash (I'm in Victoria where he played highschool ball).

And to "missinglink", that is pretty close to the situation. Ironically enough, I graduated from NC State in '83 - Go Pack - and one of the other regulars went to Carolina! 3000 miles and a different country away, and the rivalry continues...