The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Tie game, so free throws will matter in the outcome. A1 is fouled while trying a last second shot. Whistle is blown before horn, but shot is released after the horn. Shot will not count if it is good, but will A1 shoot free throws? Team A is not in the bonus.

Would this change if whistle is blown after horn?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Basket does not count. A1 will shoot 2 free throws (if 2pt try) and if you can determine that time was still on the clock then you can put that time back on. If there is no time left then you clear the lane (and put lots of pressure on the kid ) and let him shoot his free throws.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
1) Shot, foul, horn -- Shot counts if it goes, shoot FT for the foul.

2) Foul, horn, shot -- Shot will not count, even if it goes; shoot FTs for the foul.

3) Horn, foul, shot -- Shot will not count, even if it goes; foul is disregarded until intentional or flagrant.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
Tie game, so free throws will matter in the outcome. A1 is fouled while trying a last second shot. Whistle is blown before horn, but shot is released after the horn. Shot will not count if it is good, but will A1 shoot free throws? Team A is not in the bonus.

Since you said trying a last second shot, i assume he/she started their motion, so it should be a shooting foul!!! 2 shots.. whether you whistle is blown after horn or not, shouldn't matter as long as the foul was before the horn.. IMO
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex

And to be on the safe side, DO NOT WATCH THE SHOT if it is released after the horn! It will only confuse you and make matters worse if you watch it go in. Then the crowd will expect you to count it. Immediately blow your whistle and begin to wave it off. DO NOT WATCH THE SHOT!
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thickskin

That is a GREAT mechanic. I was taught if you are not going to count the basketball because it was released after the horn then look straight at the scorer and wave it off. Everyone else in the gym (except your partners maybe) will be watching the ball and once it goes in they look straight at you for the call. If you aren't even looking at the shot and just waving it off it really works nicely.

Don't get to use the mechanic all that often but when I do I love it. Way less questioning and trying to "work" me for the call.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

The wave off is a great mechanic, but be careful.

I dislocated and fractured my little finger when I jammed it with the wrist on my other arm.

Ever see the movie "Misery"? My finger looked like James Caan's legs.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cford
and if you can determine that time was still on the clock then you can put that time back on.
DO NOT PUT LESS THAN ONE SECOND BACK ON THE GAME CLOCK IN AN NFHS CONTEST!!!!!!

Due to the lag time rule if the whistle is blown for the foul with one second or less remaining and the clock runs out, time has expired. You administer the foul, but don't put any time back.

Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by cford
and if you can determine that time was still on the clock then you can put that time back on.
DO NOT PUT LESS THAN ONE SECOND BACK ON THE GAME CLOCK IN AN NFHS CONTEST!!!!!!

Due to the lag time rule if the whistle is blown for the foul with one second or less remaining and the clock runs out, time has expired. You administer the foul, but don't put any time back.

Besides which, on a lot of HS clocks, putting less than a second onto the clock is impossible.