Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ohioref3
Can anyone recomend a real good patent leather basketball shoe?
No. No one can. Because there aren't any. They all look like plastic. Blech. JMO.
Aww, did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I had been using the Converse Runnin' Refs since they came out several years ago, and when they came out with the patent leather version I was amazed at how much lighter they were. I guess the original Runnin' Refs were a heavier shoe to begin with, and the conversion to the plastic, er, patent made them a lot lighter and nicer, at least IMO. I always thought they looked good on other refs (only because it would take a lot more than that to make ME look good...). I got the OC patents this year because I like the 3/4 version; I hope I don't have the same experience that Ref-X had. I've used them at a couple of scrimmages without any issues so far, but if I need to change I would probably go with the Reebok's as well.

We all try to look our best - we try to make sure our stripes are white and not grey, we try to make sure our pants have a good, sharp crease, and we try to make sure our shoes are clean and polished. And patent leather is the ultimate in polished. Maybe some people's feet sweat a little more, or they need a different type of support, or a different width; that's fine. In my case, any little thing I can do to look better can't hurt.

But I don't think not being able to find a matching patent leather belt is a good reason for not wearing the shoes.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

It's more likely the reason your shoes were lighter a few years later is because of the material in the soles, not the leather. I'm with Chuck as far as patent leather goes - I think they look horrible. To each their own. I will never wear shiny sneakers unless my assigner tells me I have to in order to get games.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

So how do you guys feel about the guys that wear the patent leather shoes and you don't????? Do you think they should have another set of shoes just because you don't like them and prefer another type?? Would that be considered messing up the uniformity of the official crew if one had them and 2 didn't or 2 did and 1 didn't????? Wouldn't that be like saying you couldn't polish your shoes if your other partners decided not to that night wouldn't it??
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Most of the guys (and girls) I've worked with don't wear shiny shoes either. Some do. It never comes up as an issue. As long as the shoes are black, what's the problem? The rule book specifies that we are supposed to wear black shoes. Where does it say they have to be shiny? My assigner doesn't seem to care.

Personally I think the whole concept of wearing shiny shoes is a bit outdated.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Most times it comes down to the assignors. One assignor I work for came down on me hard for not having shoes polished, but I had spent an hour the night before shining them up for the game.

Got a pair of the Reebok patent leather Refs, and two pair of the Nike Air Monarch II's. Monarchs are the most comfortable shoes I have worked in. The Reeboks are OK, gotta get some insoles to make the fit more comfortable.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

I wear Nike black shoxs and just got the new nike cog black shoxs and love them. As I said before I do not like patent leather, I agree they look like plastic and I don't think that is the shine they are suppose to have. But to each is own, but I would never wear patent leather. To me polished and glossy shine are two different things.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef

Got a pair of the Reebok patent leather Refs, and two pair of the Nike Air Monarch II's. Monarchs are the most comfortable shoes I have worked in. The Reeboks are OK, gotta get some insoles to make the fit more comfortable.
__________________________________________________ _________

Monarch IIs are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn! Now if they made those in a patent, I just might wear them. Then again, I might not, too.