The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:54pm
MPLAHE

Here are a few questions I missed - anyone help me clarify my mistakes

1) B-1 intentionally extentends his/her leg to block the pass. Ball hits A-1 in the inner thigh. Official rules this a kicking violation. Is the official correct? I answered no because I did not know what A-1's intent was since the question only referenced B-1. If the ball hit off A-1's inner thigh, who was perhaps just standing and did not intentionally attempt to kick the ball, why would this be a kicking violation? the correct answer was yes.

2) A-1's try is in flight when A-2 fouls B-2. Ball enters the basket. Team B is not in the bonus. Official rules team B may run the end line. Is the official correct? Since the ball was in flight, I felt the basket should count since the play was not dead until the try or tap ended and B should be able to run the endline per 7-5-7. the answer was no.

3) A-1 is fouled while tapping a rebound toward his/her basket. Ball enters basket. Official rules a tap is treated the same as a try, counts the basket and awards A-1 one free throw. Is the official correct? my answer was yes, since the foul did not cause the ball to become dead on a try or tap. the correct answer was no.

Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
1) B-1 intentionally extentends his/her leg to block the pass. Ball hits A-1 in the inner thigh. Official rules this a kicking violation. Is the official correct? I answered no because I did not know what A-1's intent was since the question only referenced B-1. If the ball hit off A-1's inner thigh, who was perhaps just standing and did not intentionally attempt to kick the ball, why would this be a kicking violation? the correct answer was yes.
I think this must have been a typo of some kind.

I have no explanation for the others. I await enlightenment from someone wiser and more experienced than myself.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 05:09am
Official Forum Member

The answers to questions 2 and 3 are simply wrong.

Unless the foul by A2 in #2 is not a common foul or occurs in a location which would result in the throw-in being not along the end line, Team B may run.

For #3 6.7.7 confirms the official was correct.

Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

I took the TASO online test and got #1 right, because I assumed it was a typo. #3 I got wrong also, and still don't know why. I'm assuming another typo.

Unfortunately, in their tests, they don't do a real good job of writing the questions in plain english. I think they use some form of Texan.

I don't remember seeing #2 on my version of the test. I may have taken it before they changed it.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
I think this must have been a typo of some kind.

I have no explanation for the others. I await enlightenment from someone wiser and more experienced than myself.
Without question this is a typo. Some associations throw those type of questions out. When I was in KS, it never failed there were 3 or 4 questions thrown out every year. In CO, they don't throw them out... at least in my neck of the woods they don't.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
I think they use some form of Texan.
"I tell you what." In Texas, that's a complete sentence.

Texan: I tell you what.
Non-Texan: Uh, what?
Texan: I just told you!