The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

There is an apparent discrepancy when handling shooting at the wrong goal at the tip-off to star the game and during the game. If team A gains possession of the tip-off and shoots at team B's basket, we give the points to A but make sure they realize they went the wrong way. But if the same thing occurred at any other time, we give the points to B. Why the difference? Why not just tell them they need to shoot at the other goal but give the points to B? The only difference is when the confusion occurred.

Thanks!
Randall
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
There is an apparent discrepancy when handling shooting at the wrong goal at the tip-off to star the game and during the game. If team A gains possession of the tip-off and shoots at team B's basket, we give the points to A but make sure they realize they went the wrong way. But if the same thing occurred at any other time, we give the points to B. Why the difference? Why not just tell them they need to shoot at the other goal but give the points to B? The only difference is when the confusion occurred.

Thanks!
Randall
I suspect the difference is the Official lined the teams up the wrong way to begin the game... otherwise there is no difference
Stew in VA
CVBOA
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest

Thanks!
Randall
Unless the teams were lined up incorrectly, I'd give the points out the same way both times, according to which basket the ball passed through.

I also figure that when a basket is shot at the wrong goal later in a game, everyone in the gym but the shooter can tell, and there is no need to remind everyone which is the proper goal.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

However....what if the teams are allowed to line up going in the wrong direction and in spite of that, player A after gaining control puts the ball into A's correct basket. Count the basket for A. Correct?
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdccpa
However....what if the teams are allowed to line up going in the wrong direction and in spite of that, player A after gaining control puts the ball into A's correct basket. Count the basket for A. Correct?
Correct. However, as soon as you realized the mistake have the team go in the right direction.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
Quote:
Correct. However, as soon as you realized the mistake have the team go in the right direction.
Yes. 5.2.1 Situation E tells you this. It was a new case play added in 2004-05.
(Personally, I don't like this because A2 can score in either basket and due to this ruling the points go to his team. I believe that this is a unique situation in a game. Can anyone else come up with a time when a player can score for his team in either basket? [A FT at the wrong goal which is not corrected in time doesn't count.])

During that same year 4.5.4 from the 2003-04 book was moved and renumbered 5.2.1 Situation F.

Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Most times when the refs mistakenly let the players line up going the wrong way you most always have a back court violation when they take the ball into what they think is their front court but which is really their back court.

Call the back court violation, cancel the basket and start over with a new jump ball with the teams going in the right direction. Correct?

If it were an overtime situation and you were playing in a league that had a "sudden dead" overtime rule you may have trouble getting out of the gym.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Most times when the refs mistakenly let the players line up going the wrong way you most always have a back court violation when they take the ball into what they think is their front court but which is really their back court.

Call the back court violation, cancel the basket and start over with a new jump ball with the teams going in the right direction. Correct?

If it were an overtime situation and you were playing in a league that had a "sudden dead" overtime rule you may have trouble getting out of the gym.
No, at least not in NCAA. If you line 'em up wrong, when you figure it out, stop play, flip 'em around, and continue. Everything still counts as if they were going the right way all along.

Rule 5-1.3. When the official(s) permits a team to go in the wrong direction, and when the error is discovered (a) all points scored, (b) fouls committed and (c) time consumed shall count as though each team had gone in the proper direction. Play shall be resumed with each team going in the proper direction.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Last year I worked a pre-season youth tournament with games every 1:15 or so, and teams (and officials) coming and going all day. For my first game, I realized the teams had warmed up at the wrong basket, but have them lined up properly for the jump.

Team A wins the tap and immediately makes a fast break hoop at the "wrong" basket (but the one which they had warmed up towards.) As Team B brings the ball across the division line, my partner and I both have one of those "Oh no, now what" looks at each other. We stopped play, gave the first basket to Team B and gave the ball to Team A.

I think it took 10 minutes before Team B scored again.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:

No, at least not in NCAA. If you line 'em up wrong, when you figure it out, stop play, flip 'em around, and continue. Everything still counts as if they were going the right way all along.

Rule 5-1.3. When the official(s) permits a team to go in the wrong direction, and when the error is discovered (a) all points scored, (b) fouls committed and (c) time consumed shall count as though each team had gone in the proper direction. Play shall be resumed with each team going in the proper direction.
The rule is the same for NFHS. I just cited the play above, now numbered 5.2.1 Sit F.

If you put the jumpers facing the wrong directions then that becomes the proper direction for each team until you figure it out. So you would not call a backcourt violation as you stated.
This is why I don't like the ruling in 5.2.1 Sit E which credits the basket to team A. It makes an exception to this simple concept.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 24th, 2005 at 05:07 AM]
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
FIBA rules say this (I didn't check but I think it's like this)

a goal in your own basket is scored as usuall and noted on the other teams captain.
An INTENTIONAL goal is a violation and the other team gets the ball in the side.

I've been about a team who once scored intentional own goalds, the coach told his player (shouted out) that they should score so the diffrential weren't that bigged. If I had been the ref (I was in the audiance) I would have tossed him right away, I've never seen a more unsportsmanlike thing ever.