The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 07:09am
In Memoriam

Question

"The NBA apparently stands for something other than National Basketball Association.

"No Bling Allowed," said Hamilton, who, like many players around the league, expressed his displeasure with Commissioner David Stern's new dress code.

"I don't agree with it," Hamilton said. "You can't dictate how people dress."

Beginning Nov. 1, players will have to wear business casual attire at team and league activities, including when they arrive at and depart from arenas, when they are conducting interviews and when they are making public appearances." - Detroit Free Press

Seems wrong to me.
Why is this a good idea?
mick

Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

In an interview I heard on the radio yesterday, David Stern took the position that all of the other professional sports leagues have a dress code for their players, coaches, etc. He stated that NBA officials have to follow a jacket and tie dress code coming to and from games. He felt that the state of the game had been going downhill with all the incidents both on and off the court. The way the players presented themselves to the public was becoming an issue in the marketing and image of the game. After consulting with the other pro sports commissioners, he felt that tighter reign needed to be put in place to help improve the image of the game and its players. I guess he was going for the Crash Davis model, "Act classy, you'll be classy". Will it work? I have no clue. He said that fines by the League and by the teams will help make the code stick. Certain players, Alan Iverson for one, have already said they won't abide by it and will challenge any fine imposed upon him. I think I can hear the old role model argument somewhere in the background.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The overwhelming majority of employers have a dress code that must be followed while on company business. Why should NBA players be exempt? Nothing in the dress code is unreasonable. It simply projects a professional image, instead of a slob -- or worse -- image.

Why is this a bad idea?

P.S. -- Hamilton's right, btw. It's still a free country. Nobody can require you to dress a certain way. I suggest Hamilton immediately retire, give up his $8 million contract and get a job at a record store.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

I gotta agree that it's not a bad idea. We have to uphold a professional image at most of our jobs (and on the way to basketball games), why should it be a problem for them? If I showed up at work with a bunch of ear rings and tatoos all over my body, I'm sure it would be brought to my attention that this is not the kind of professional image they want in the workplace...that is unless they canned me on the spot.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 08:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The overwhelming majority of employers have a dress code that must be followed while on company business. Why should NBA players be exempt?
I dunno, Chuck.
I thought they already had to wear those baggy shorts while they were working.
Where does it stop? Will there be a breakfast dress code? how about hair care?
mick
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
But they're also working at the post-game press conference. They're also working (or at least "on company time") when they're injured and sitting on the bench during the game.

It's a stretch, but one could argue that they're working when they grant scheduled interviews.

Where does it stop? I don't know either. But I'm pretty sure that the code outlined by Stern is not unreasonable for anyone who has any real-world work experience. Maybe not common, but certainly not unreasonable.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I agree that the image of the NBA isn't what it could be. I have a hard time just sitting down watching a game because hip hop nation reigns supreme. I see absolutely nothing wrong with them having to wear "business casual." Have you ever watched Monday night countdown on ESPN? Sometimes the guys on there make fun of the players arriving for the game by saying "that isn't how you show up for work."

I see the other side as well. It is one of those things that will be debated for months and years to come. Kudos to Stern for making the decision.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
But they're also working at the post-game press conference. They're also working (or at least "on company time") when they're injured and sitting on the bench during the game.

It's a stretch, but one could argue that they're working when they grant scheduled interviews.

Where does it stop? I don't know either. But I'm pretty sure that the code outlined by Stern is not unreasonable for anyone who has any real-world work experience. Maybe not common, but certainly not unreasonable.
Yeah, that all makes sense to me, Chuck.
Yet, the fans that could be "positively" [... based, or debased, upon ??someone's?? opinion] influenced by the dress code, may not really care if a player shows up to sign stuff in a sponsor's or team's sweat suit or a Bruno Magli silk.

"To wear business casual attire ... when they arrive at and depart from arenas." [sheesh!]
mick

Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Good idea IMO

Quote:
"The NBA apparently stands for something other than National Basketball Association.

"No Bling Allowed," said Hamilton, who, like many players around the league, expressed his displeasure with Commissioner David Stern's new dress code.

"I don't agree with it," Hamilton said. "You can't dictate how people dress."

Beginning Nov. 1, players will have to wear business casual attire at team and league activities, including when they arrive at and depart from arenas, when they are conducting interviews and when they are making public appearances." - Detroit Free Press

Seems wrong to me.
Why is this a good idea?
mick

I think it an attempt to help the NBA return to the glory days of Magic, Bird and MJ.

Michael Jordan always dressed for every press conf, every interview, Magic, Bird the same.

The NBA image has suffered tremendously by allowing the players to run the show.

I think the NBA realized if they don't get control, its going to be downhill even more quickly than is now.

As Stern said, "if they don't like it, they can find employment elsewhere, that's their choice whether they want to be in the NBA or not."

And Phil Jackson pretty much echoed his sentiments on ESPN this morning.

Those are guys who know what's going on I guess.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:56am
In Memoriam

Re: Good idea IMO

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Michael Jordan always dressed for every press conf, every interview, Magic, Bird the same.
I dunno about Larry Bird, But it seems to me that Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson always looked great with diamond earings, golden chains or whatever.
How much bling is bling?
mick
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Good idea IMO

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David B
I dunno about Larry Bird, But it seems to me that Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson always looked great with diamond earings, golden chains or whatever.
How much bling is bling?
mick
yeah michael did have the big earring, but never the chains.

Magic was always clean as a whistle.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 10:20am
Do not give a damn!!

It is a bad idea because no one in the history of the game was doing this. NBA players have been some of the best dressed athletes around. I think this is a cultural issue and an age issue. There are players from different countries that do not dress under this dress code. There league is mostly an African-American, urban league of players and many of those players do not come from a background that this type of dress would be common. The comparisons with other forms of jobs are ridiculous as well. I know people in construction, they are not wearing business casual when they are going to work. These guys are in a profession where they change into a uniform and get all sweaty and we expect everyone to be in a suit? I also think the NBA could possibly alienate many of their fans that buy video games and their throwback jerseys and support the buying of shoes. It is not just the corporate interests that support the league. It is people that "cannot afford a ticket" to the game that gives the players and the league revenue.

And before someone thinks I am crying racism, I am not. If you have ever seen Steve Nash or Bill Walton's son before and after games, this is not about race. It is about age and what is acceptable amongst a younger generation.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Good idea, the hip hop clothing the players wear is a image others look to emulate. People will see the latest fashion players will be wearing and try to emulate that image too. I read a passage yesterday where it was brought up that some players make more then others (true). The minimum salary last year for a player was $385,000 if you cannot purchase clothing based off of that salary something is wrong. I say join one of the Armed Forces and live off their salary. How much does a pair of Docker; button down shirt; and a pair of Stacy Adams cost? Give me a break!!!

Standards are like women; can't live with'em can't live without them. No pun intended
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

And before someone thinks I am crying racism, I am not. If you have ever seen Steve Nash or Bill Walton's son before and after games, this is not about race. It is about age and what is acceptable amongst a younger generation.

Peace
Hey Jeff, you're of a younger generation.

How do you dress to your basketball games?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
It is a bad idea because no one in the history of the game was doing this. NBA players have been some of the best dressed athletes around. I think this is a cultural issue and an age issue. There are players from different countries that do not dress under this dress code. There league is mostly an African-American, urban league of players and many of those players do not come from a background that this type of dress would be common. The comparisons with other forms of jobs are ridiculous as well. I know people in construction, they are not wearing business casual when they are going to work. These guys are in a profession where they change into a uniform and get all sweaty and we expect everyone to be in a suit? I also think the NBA could possibly alienate many of their fans that buy video games and their throwback jerseys and support the buying of shoes. It is not just the corporate interests that support the league. It is people that "cannot afford a ticket" to the game that gives the players and the league revenue.

Peace
Mr. Rut, What is wrong with a little change? You cannot compare construction to the NBA one is done indoors the other outdoors under different conditions. In both sweat is produced. However, construction is hot and dusty; nba air conditoned building. People have to accept change regardless of their upbring. What do you say about those African-Americans who do make it and turn their backs on their own culture huh? Mr. Stern, IMO is not out of touch and age does not have anything to do with it IMO.